The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

new guy! this schedule ok?

well i decided its about time to get serious about puttin on a little more muscle mass. ive tryed to on my own but its not that effective so im hopin someone on this site could help me out. well first off the names zack. im 130lbs., 5'5", gonna turn 17 at the end of august (yeah im a short one). im gonna be a senior in about a month and im not expecting to get ripped before school starts but i think i could make a little more improvement.

i dont even really know if my workout schedule i have right now is even right. i start the week off with arm day.

ARM DAY: 4 sets of everything
    bicep curls- 12 reps with 30lb. dumbbells
    lying tricep extension- 10 reps with 25lb. dumbbells
    lateral raises- 14 reps with 25lb. dumbells
    wrist curls- 20 reps with 25lb. dumbell

CHEST/STOMACH DAY: 4 sets of everything
    pushups- 15 reps with 50lbs. weight on back & 20lb. band (dont have bench)
    dumbbell flys- 15 reps with 30lb. dumbbells and 20lb. band
    bench- 15 reps with 30lb. dumbbells and 20lb. band
    sit ups- 20 reps, 6 sets

(alternate between days)

anybody out there that can tweek this schedule to make it even better would be much appreciated. also, im lookin more to gain mass, not really get cut, so its more weight, less reps, right? i got all the weight in my house on my dumbbells haha i only have 30lbs. for each, a 20 lb. band, a backpack, and a jump rope haha lame. and ive tried making a leg routine but with nothing but dumbbells i dont know what workouts to do. anybody with that info would be awesome! anyway thanks alot i hope somebody can revise this schedule for some major growth. i wish i had my body measurements but i dont, sorry. THANKS!
    Last edited by ZACKMAN; 07-17-2009 at 08:27 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

No, it's not good at all. You want to put on muscle mass, yet all you do is basically chest and arms. You need a routine that focuses on the big, compound lifts - squats, deadlift, sohp, bench press, bent rows, pullups, dips, cleans, etc. Rep ranges should be 4-6 or maybe 8. Lift hard and heavy.
    You also need to eat an excess of calories. If you're not eating enough, you won't grow not matter what you do.
    Last edited by rbtrout; 07-17-2009 at 08:15 PM.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Can you afford to go to the gym? Because you're very limited in what you can do with DBs, not to mention that routine makes babies cry. You can do DB squats, lunges, overhead presses, one arm rows, etc... but you're going to grow out of that weight very quickly.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig Member
    ok i think i could just put all the weight i have on my back and do squats, & maybe figure out how to deadlift. bent rows i can do, & i'll try to find somewhere i can do pullups and dips. i only have about 60lbs of weight tho. any ideas on how to improv? oh yeah and it'll be hard to down as many calories as i can cuz we NEVER have alot of food around my house, but i'll try and figure that out too.

Quote Originally Posted by ZACKMAN View Post
    oh yeah and it'll be hard to down as many calories as i can cuz we NEVER have alot of food around my house, but i'll try and figure that out too.
    you won't grow without food. look in the nutition forum/use the search function to get ideas on what to eat. doesn't have to cost alot... milk, nuts etc

if you can't go to the gym or get anymore equipment... get creative.
    Goodwinm trains with bags of sand, big rocks, heavy logs etc (even tho he has equipment... he just enjoys it more)
    Last edited by Big Jay; 07-17-2009 at 08:32 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    well i dont exactly got an "income" right now if ya know what i mean so i dont see a gym membership in my future. so since my reps should be closer to 6 and 8 and not 12 or 15, how much weight do u think i should try to lift?

Your parents can't help you out? Can you go to the gym at your school?

Wannabebig Member
    yeah i think i could get to my school gym but i gotta wait till school starts. well i could always wash my grandparents cars for some extra green, but not for steady payments n a gym. probably just to get more weight. for food, wut should i mainly focus on? water, red meats, milk and veggies?

yeah i think i could get to my school gym but i gotta wait till school starts. well i could always wash my grandparents cars for some extra green, but not for steady payments n a gym. probably just to get more weight. for food, wut should i mainly focus on? water, red meats, milk and veggies?
    Wash cars, find a job, mow lawns... do stuff that teenagers do.

As for food, here's some ideas:

http://whfoods.org/foodstoc.php
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99119

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    mkay you have 30 pound dumbbells, and u want to learn how to work your legs...

ima give you a list of exercises and i want you to go and search on exrx.net to find out how to do and also u can use google and youtube as well
    Stationary lunges
    Walking lunges
    Reverse Lunges
    Lateral Lunges
    Dumbbell Front squats
    Step Ups
    Dumbbell Clean and Press
    Bulgarian squats
    Pistol Squats
    Goblet Squat
    Dumbbell Deadlifts
    One leg Deadlift
    Dumbbell deadlift to a curl
    Split Squats
    Split squat to a press
    Reverse lunge off a box
    Lateral Step ups

ok thats enough for now, and there are tons more to go, copy and paste that list to word, and print it so u can do a search on all of those exercises and choose 4 of them and use those to work your legs, u can always do leg work
    Split squat to a curl
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Wannabebig Member
    split squats, one leg deadlift, dumbbell front squats, walking lunges. did i pick winners?

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    split squats, one leg deadlift, dumbbell front squats, walking lunges. did i pick winners?
    yes those are good choices
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Banned
    well you will grow with even this slight weight and no change to your diet, but only slightly. You body will use the excess protien and you may gain a bit. But yeah if you seriously want to get bigger, check out the recommended routines, get a job and either buy more weight or go to the gym.

Hey i used to live in New Mexico Albuquerque, damn miss that place, now in rainy England.

You're gonna be a senior in a month? perfect, sign up for Weight class asap, the weight room will have everything you need most likely. When I was in highschool weight class, were required to squat/bench/clean, and we were benchmarked every quarter for a grade, was awesome. So....sign up for weight class and read the hell out of this site.....

I'm a bit confused on why some of the more prominant members are responding to this guy. Just make him read the stickies.

So, to the OP, READ THESE: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125640

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99116

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125357

this last one is a bit more humerous but worth a read:

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104087
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.