Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Joey54 back to DC training

Joey54 back to DC training

First day doing DC style training since the summer. Moved and switched to a powerlifting type routine in August. Took a break the past week and really started jonesing to do DC again. Started light. Some exercises I am keeping a higher rep range. I forgot how tough doing deadlifts for reps and doing them last in a workout was.

If you aren't familiar with DC training, check out IM.com for all the details.

Chest
    Barbell Bench Press- 205 x 25 reps rest paused. Got 17 in my first set and it killed me. Was aiming for 30, but still in my 20-30 rep range. Bench Press is not a highly recommended DC exercise, but just read a post by Dante the other day which he stated if one wants to do it, do it powerlifting style, which I do, and keep the reps 15-30 rest paused. I am pretty weak in bench, and think it is a good overall upper body movement, so we shall see how it goes. Moving up to 210 next time.

Shoulders
    Hammer Shoulder press- 2 plates per side for 21 reps rest paused. Trying for 15-20 reps in this exercise, so will definitely go up in weight next time.

Triceps
    DB Floor Presses- 70 lbs x27 reps rest paused. Looking for a 20-30 rep range with dumbbells. In the rep range. Will move up to 75 lbs next time.

Back Width
    Lat Pulldown- 200 lbs x 20 reps rest paused. Like to be in the 11-15 reps rest paused range in this exercise. Underestimated my strength in this exercise. Will go up to 220 lbs next time, as it is the next weight on the stack and shot for 11-15 reps rest paused and go from there.

Back Thickness
    Deadlifts- Have not done full deads for higher reps in some time, so I overestimated here. Plus was feeling the workout by the end. Did 425 x 6. Was looking to get 8. Bumped down to 365 looking for 12 and got 8. Will go up to 430 on my heavy set next time and stay at 365 for the lighter set. I am guessing my reps will increase in the 430 as I get acclimated to the training again. Should have probably just did 405 and 315.

Tuesday will be arms and legs. Looking at EZ curl bar drag curls, seated hammer curls, standing calf raises, lying hamstring curls, and leg presses. My squat workout will be next sunday, one week apart from deadlifts.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Glad to see you start a DC journal. I decided to give DC training a shot about a month ago. Enjoying it so far. I plan on looking here for tips!
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Good luck man! DC training looks brutal.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    Glad to see you start a DC journal. I decided to give DC training a shot about a month ago. Enjoying it so far. I plan on looking here for tips!
    One thing is for how simple it is, you can keep learning things. I know you have done your research and will do well with it. I will keep tabs on your journal too.
    Last edited by joey54; 11-30-2008 at 02:42 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

I have messed with Dc a little before, just worried i would loose max strenght on bench. what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    One thing is for how simple it is, you can keep learning things. I know you have done your research and will do well with it. I will keep tabs on your journal too.
    Thanks man I appreciate that. I read IM.com a lot to keep learning. Still tweaking things a bit. Took a couple tries to figure out the exercises that work well for me, rep ranges, etc. Things should go smoothly now.
    My Journal

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by Darracq View Post
    I have messed with Dc a little before, just worried i would loose max strenght on bench. what do you think?
    Yeah, if you are concerned with you strength on singles, especially bench, a westside template might be more advantageous for you than DC. Both are great programs for a specific goal. I really have just enjoyed training in this fashion and trying to beat my best each time in the gym.

Just get under the bar!

Today

Abs- Rope crunches- 67 lbs x 30 reps. I like to do 1 set of 20-30 reps. Will up the weight probably two pins next time.
    Cardio- 20 mins eliptical at level 12. Kept my pace between 5-6 miles per hour. Probably have to even tone that down a bit.
    Stretching- about 20 minutes of stretching. Even with doing the extreme stretching on lifting days, like to get a good stretch in. Really helps recovery.

New to this journal stuff, so here is what I ate yesterday. I don't count calories. If I feel weak, I eat more. If my stomach gets too big, I eat a little less.

Yesterday

Pre Workout- 1 scoop Pro Complex(have to finish this before I open my Nitrean)
    1 1/2 servings of a dark chocolate bar
    During workout- 2 scoops of powdered gatorade+BCAAs
    Post workout1- 2 scoops WaxiMaize(conserving until I get my new shipment), 5 gms creatine, 5 gms glutamine(trying to finish off what I have), BCAA's
    Post workout2- about 30 minutes later. 2 scoops Pro Complex, 2 big bowls of Wheaties
    Meal 2- Canned Chicken Breast(big can), 1 bag of Sweet Potato Chips, 1 serving v8
    Meal 3- Canned Tuna(I was lazy with cooking today), Some Blue Corn Totilla Chips con Picante
    Meal 4- 12 oz of cooked Steak, big salad with feta cheese and balsamic viniagrette dressing, Green Tea
    Meal 5- 1/3 big container of cottage cheese, decaf Green tea

Probably should have got another meal in there somewhere, but I napped a bit during the day

Today

Pre Workout- 1 scoop pro complex, 5 gms creatine
    Breakfast- 4 scrambled jumbo eggs with feta cheese, 2 big bowls of Wheaties, Some Pomegranate, Kashi Pumpkin Flax bar, Green Tea

The rest later tonight.
    Last edited by joey54; 12-01-2008 at 05:22 AM.

Just get under the bar!

Meals for today continued.................

Meal 2- Canned Chicken Breast, Almonds, Orange
    Meal 3- 10 oz (estimated) Grilled Chicken Breast, Asparagus, probably about 3 servings of brown rice
    Meal 4- Canned Tuna(On a canned kick because of how easy it is), orange
    Meal 5- about 1 lb worth of Lamb Chops, Red Potato, Greens Salad with feta cheese and balsamic viniagrette dressing, Green Tea
    (This was after 6 pm, technically the "carb cutoff", but on the days before training I like to get a good amount of complex carbs in me spread out over 3 meals. I train at 5:00 am. This has worked out ok in the past for me)
    Meal 6- Will be before bed. 1/3 container of cottage cheese and probably a serving or two of natural peanut butter. decaf Green Tea.

Just get under the bar!

diet is looking real clean. Looks like you do a carb cutoff.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    diet is looking real clean. Looks like you do a carb cutoff.
    Later in the week it is going to get dirty.

Today

4:10 am wake up

1 scoop of Pro Complex and about a serving of dark chocolate(I don't really know why I like this stuff pre-workout, but it gets me going. Probably the caffeine. Hopefully my Buzzsaw(its like NO Xplode but half the price) and waximaize get here this week)

During Workout 2 scoops powdered gatorade and BCAA's

Workout 2A( First one was 1A. Will call the upper body ones 1A, 1B, and 1C. Lower body 2A, 2B, 2C).

Ez Curl Drag Curls- 25 lb plate per side x 35 reps rest paused. In the past 3 months you can count the number of times I have done curls on one hand. Again, wanted to start light. Way too light. Did 20 reps in the first rest pause part of the set. Will probably add a 10 each side. Really like to focus on form though with the drag curls. On straight Barbell curls I use a little english.

Seated Hammer Curls(both arms at the same time)- 60 poundsx14 reps straight set. I kept my feet up on foot rest to try to eliminate cheating. Did my arm stretches after these.

Seated Calf Raise- Just did 1 plate per side. It is side loaded, not front loaded like some. 11 reps with a 5 sec negative and 15 second hold at the bottom position. Will just add 5 pounds per side next workout. These get painful at about rep 7, no matter the weight.

Lying leg curl-170 pounds x 17 reps rest paused. First time using this machine. Will need to add weight. I was two plates from using the whole stack though. Am going to probably have to figure out how to add weight on to this in the next few months, or switch to dumbbell leg curls. Hamstring stretch.

Leg Press- As with everything, started light. Did 10 plates per side for 10 reps. Loosely wrapped my knees for this one to keep them warm. No problems with this and will increase 5-10 pounds next time depending on how I feel during warmups. Widowmaker set was 8 plates per side for 27 reps. Followed by a few minutes of laying on the floor to recover. Will up the weight by as much as a quarter per side next time. Have to see how I feel. Did my quad stretch.

Downed 2 servings of Waximaize, another serving of gatorade, 5 gms creatine, 5 gms glutamine, and BCAA's.

30 minutes later at home had 2 scoops of Pro Complex and a huge bowl of Wheaties. On a wheaties kick right now. Probably will keep carbs to fruits and veggies the rest of the day. Just drank a double strength cup of Green Tea as I wrote this.
    Last edited by joey54; 12-03-2008 at 06:29 PM.

Just get under the bar!

Food for the rest of the day

Meal 2- Just some almonds and an orange. This was bumped up a bit early due to work today
    Meal 3- Probably an 8 oz piece of grilled chicken, asparagus, and some pomegranate. Double bag Green Tea again. Really long afternoon meeting in Harrisburg.
    Meal 4- Delayed due to meeting. Big can of chicken Breast(it is 5 servings) and an orange
    Meal 5- Lazy so ate a can of tuna and shared it with our cats. GF is at school tonight, so I spoil them. Downed some V8 and some olive oil straight from the bottle because I really didn't get a lot of fat in today. That gulp took care of that. Green Tea
    Meal 6- Before bed will finish off that container of cottage cheese, get in some more natural pb(more fat!) and sip some decaf green tea.

Legs are a good sore. Cramped up after getting up from that long meeting and the ride back home.

Just get under the bar!

Cool training. Do you do the "extreme" stretching as well?

Certainly do. 45-90 sec stretch depending on how long I can stand the pain. I do all bodyweight stretches, no weights. (goal should be at least 60, first week I am starting slowly with these too)
    Last edited by joey54; 12-03-2008 at 06:30 PM.

Just get under the bar!

Today

Wake up- 1 scoop of pro complex and 5 gms glutamine
    Gym- Cardio 20 minutes on the eliptical. Hill program at level 9. Stretch for 20 minutes
    Meal 1- 4 Jumbo eggs scrambled with Feta Cheese. 2 cups measure uncooked of Oats. Green Tea. Multi(always take my multi with breakfast)
    Meal 2- about 8 oz of grilled chicken breast and asparagus.
    Meal 3- 2 frozen beef and bean burritos. Large container of brown rice. Green Tea.
    Meal 4- 1 scoop of pro complex and an orange
    Meal 5- Will cook after writing this. 12 oz steak. 1 medium red potato. more asparagus. Green Tea.
    Meal 6- Before bed. 1 can of Tuna(out of cottage cheese for now). Some nature PB.

Got my Buzzsaw and Waximaize today!!!

Just get under the bar!

Some edits to yesterday. I didn't have as much asparagus left as I thought, so that was cooked for meals for today and tomorrow. I just drank some v-8 with dinner. I actually drank a little more at bed time too. Yummy! Also ate some Blue Corn Tortilla Chips with Picante during dinner.

I was thinking about this today, but I probably should have put a disclaimer on my journal. Please, if you are not familiar with DC training assume this is the way, or only way one is to do it. Some things I may be doing might not be consistent with everything you have read. I made a few edits in posts to be consistent with other information available. To me it is really just semantics, but I don't want to add to any confusion. If you have never done DC training you really need to research it at the appropriate place. I am not an authority at all. I did it for about 2 years, many of the time doing things which would be considered "wrong" because I didn't have all the information at the beginning. But I still saw good results because my focus irregardless was on progression. That is the key. I wanted to post a journal on here because few people train in this fashion on this site and thought it may be interesting to check out. I guess I am just trying to convey this is not a program you see and just decide to try for a few weeks or so. Again, check IM out for all the info if you feel you are ready to train this way and read up on it.

Also, in regards to my diet. I just wanted to post what I eat. This is not a "DC diet", nor is there really a "DC diet". There are general principles and then you tailor it to your needs. Same thing with the training to a certain extent. I think I probably need to be eating more protein to gain the size I want. But, things don't get done in extremes, subtle changes in my opinion work best. Ok enough of that. On to today.

Wake up- Serving of Pro Complex
    30 minutes before workout- Buzzsaw(like NO Explode somewhat)
    Workout- 2 servings powder Gatorade and BCAA's

Workout 1B

Hammer Strength Incline Press- 3 plates+10 per side x16 reps rest pause. Will up by 10 lbs next time. Went outside the 11-15 rep range. As weights get heavier the second and especially 3rd part of the set get tough to start on. Not a problem today. Did the chest stretch with 70 lb dumbbells today. Could only safely hold for 45 seconds. Will drop back to 65's and go for 60 seconds.

DB shoulder press- 60 lbs x 24 reps rest paused. 20-30 rep range here. Because 5 lbs is a big jump from workout to workout, will shoot for 26 reps next week before going to 65's. Shoulder Stretch for 60 seconds. Painful, but no problems.

Wide Reverse Grip Bench Press on the Smith- 2 plates per side x 15 reps rest pause. BOOOOO to the smith says WBB'ers. I agree for beginners, but sometimes safer is better. To do this exercise on a free weight barbell without a spot is difficult. Also I kept my butt off the bench to further stress the tri's. Like the movement. Will just up 5 lbs next time. Tri Stretch for 60 seconds.

Rack Chins- 50 lb dbx16 reps rest paused. First time doing these without someone placing the dumbbell in my lap. Figured it out on the second part of the set. I probably used too high of a bench setting to place my feet. Will adjust next time. UP to the 60 lb db next time.

Bent Over rows in the smith machine- 2 plates per side for 10 reps. Again, there is a reason the smith was used. Doing these to lock myself into position. First time trying these and will actually lower the weight in order to get a better "groove" next time. Kept the back flat and place my feet in front of the bar. So imagine the body in the position of a 7 doing a bent over row. Free weight I have been able to work up to 315 with looser form, but also doing these to save the lower back as well, because I will be squatting on my 2B Sunday. Back Stretch

At the gym- 3 scoops of Waxy Maize(Waximaize, whatever), 5 gms creatine, 5 gms glutamine, BCAA's
    Meal 1- at home 30 minutes later. 2 scoops pro complex. 2 big bowls of wheaties. Green Tea.
    Meal 2- 8 oz cooked grilled chicken breast. Asparagus. Orange. Green Tea
    Meal 3- Large Buffalo Chicken Salad which included romaine, black and green olives, provolone cheese, onions, tomatoes, fried buffalo chicken strips, and blue cheese dressing. Also ate some bread with this and a diet coke. I would consider this a cheat meal. But my cheat meals also can get much worse than this.
    Meal 4- 1 scoop of pro complex. 1 1/2 servings of almonds
    Meal 5- Beef and Bean Chili. We slow cooked it in the crock pot all day. It smells so good. Will make quite a few meals in the next couple of days. Eating that in a few minutes. Will also drink more Green Tea.
    Meal 6. Can of Tuna. Natural PB. Decaf Green Tea. Will eat this before bed.

Just get under the bar!

DC is brutal, always liked the concept, I read IM alot, dante makes classic post ( and just plain good points about working out period ). Looks good so far.

How do you like the buzzsaw? And what made you pick that over bcaa boast?
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

I was wondering what kind of strength and size gains you saw, when you ran this before?

nice session joey. I am going to try and do 20-30 rep range on DB shoulder tomorrow. I tried 70's last week and got 12 on the first set, but then couldn't get the 2nd set started. Going to try 60's this week and will aim to beat your reps!

You drink a lot of green tea. I know Dante is a fan. I have been doing 2-3 cups a day myself instead of coffee.
    My Journal

View 1- Just started the buzzsaw yesterday. So far so good. I picked it because I had tried that NO explode stuff before and liked it, but thought it was too expensive. Saw some discussion about it on the forums and figured for 20 bucks why not. I just like to get some sort of nutrition in, but when 20 bucks will last me 10 weeks worth of lifting, i say why not. Too be honest really didn't look into the BCAA boost. Maybe will in the future.

Darraq- 215 to about 250 pound wise. Right now I am around 245ish, looking to get to 260 pounds. Diet as much as any training is the important factor with that. DC isn't a magic pill, but the training does give somone the ability to add muscle with the right diet. During my time doing this I have received many comments about size gained from many people, so I know it is working. During the first time when I got to 245 first, I backed down to about 230 because I felt I had gained a bit of weight too quickly. As for strength gains, significantly stronger in many exercises than when I started. Will have to refer to the log book for some examples.

CP- This week has been a lot of green tea. Helps with the metabolism that is for sure. I have no doubt you will beat me in shoulders, but I will beat that set next time too.

Just get under the bar!

For today

Wake up- 1 scoop pro complex
    Abs, morning cardio, stretch
    Meal 1-4 scrambled eggs with feta cheese, 2 cups of oatmeal, Green Tea
    Meal 2- 8 oz chicken breast, asparagus, pomegranate
    Meal 3- Chili mixed with brown rice. Used this as a dip for blue corn Tortilla chips. It was a good amount. Double Green Tea. Pumpkin Roll(it was free in the lunch room, why not?)
    Meal 4- 1 scoop of pro complex with 5 gm creatine, almonds, orange
    Meal 5- Haddock, some v8, and some Green Tea
    Meal 6- Tuna and natural PB, decaf Green Tea

Will try to post the strength gains sometime this weekend.
    Last edited by joey54; 12-05-2008 at 06:02 PM.

Just get under the bar!

Going to make a few posts in a row. Saturdays are for watching football and spending time with my lady, so didn't have the time or desire to make an entry

Saturday
    Meal 1- 2 scoops of pro complex, 2 bowls of wheaties, Green Tea
    On Saturday morning I usually head down to Lancaster and roll ju jitsu with my buddy for about an hour. We DON'T train like MMA fighters. This is a very loose, relaxed atmosphere where we practice moves and techniques at about 50% most of the time. It would be like playing an hour of half court pick up basketball. It is not taxing and I know to back off if it is getting too much. I make sure this doesn't affect weight training, which is my primary goal. We both enjoy the sport and feel this helps in our appreciation of it. Sometimes a couple friends join in, which makes it better.
    Meal 2- Made a bag of that Lipton flavored rice(cheddar broccoli) and mixed the rest of the haddock in I made last night. Also ate blue corn tortilla chips with picante. Lots of carbs. Green Tea
    Meal 3- Final container of chill. Threw some Feta Cheese on. Orange. Green Tea.
    Meal 4- 1 scoop of pro complex with 5 grms creatine and BCAA's. 1 bowl of Kashi Honey Sunshine cereal. 1 Kashi Pumpkin Flax bar. Green Tea
    Meal 5- 12 oz of steak. Oriental vegetable mix(broccoli, green beans, onions, mushrooms). Green Tea
    Meal 6- 1 scoop of pro complex with some olive oil for fat. Decaf Green Tea.
    Meal 7-1 can of tuna(a little to the cats). Natural PB. Right before bed.

Stayed up to watch maybe my favorite college football player of all time, Pat White, play his final game at the Mountaineer field. Glad he picked up a win and hopefully they have another great bowl game to finish out his career. I am a ND fan, but love great players like Pat White, Tim Tebow, etc.... Guys who are winners and leave it on the field.
    Last edited by joey54; 12-07-2008 at 10:10 AM.

Just get under the bar!

Today

Wake up- 1 scoop of Pro Complex.
    30 minutes before workout- Buzzsaw
    During workout- about 2.5 servings of powdered gatorade with BCAA's

Workout 2B- CP you are motivating me here!

Incline DB curls(grip the inside ring of the dumbbell)- 55's x 17 reps total rest paused. Up to 60's next time. I know it is surprising I can use the same weight to curl as DB shoulder press, but I go for higher rep ranges in those, and I hit the chest before the shoulders. That does change things.

Pinwheel curls- 65's x's 14 reps SS. I don't use straps for this like the do in the video. With these, you can use momentum to get extra reps if you feel like it, but I try to watch that. I try to stay pretty strict. Up to 70's next time. Arm Stretch for 70 seconds after this.

Horizontal calf press- First time using this machine. Went a bit too light, but if you go to heavy on these, it really compromises the set. 230 lbs(on a stack) for 15 reps(5 sec negative, 15 sec bottom hold). Will go up to 250 pounds.

Sumo Leg Press- Used same machine as leg press for 2A, but put my heels up to the top of the platform. Can't just go all heels, because it feels like I might slide off, but make sure I push the weight through my heels. 6 plates per side x's 14 reps SS. Will add a 5 per side probably next time. 70 sec hamstring stretch.

Squats- 405x's 9 reps. Belt and knee wraps used. A little bit of a forward lean per someone watching my form, but nothing to worry about injury over. Being taller I expect a lean, but I will focus next time on reducing this a bit. Back feels fine right now. Will up this set to 410 next time. 275 lbs x 20 reps. Raw as the buzzword is on here. Doing this at the end of your workout is a little bit different than warming up for one set of 20 first thing. Kept the weight light to focus on form. Really had hoped to get about 25 reps, but the highest rep amount I have been doing since August has been 5 for any working sets. So all things considered not bad. On rep 20 I felt a bit of a lean before the hips on the way up. That is my sign to end the set. There is always next time and it isn't worth hurting yourself over. There is a line between intense and stupid which you have to make sure you don't cross. I will go up to 280 lbs and as my conditioning gets better, these sets should get better.

Post workout- 3 scoops of Waxy Maize. 5 gms Creatine. 5 gms Glutamine. BCAA's
    Meal 1- 30 minutes after workout. 2 scoops of Pro Complex. 1 more scoop and I can open my Nitrean. Multi. 2 cups uncooked oatmeal. Green Tea.

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Workout 2B- CP you are motivating me here!
    Same here dude. I may have topped you on shoulders, but damn your numbers in that last workout blow me away.

Your curls make me realize I am too high on most of my rep ranges. Need to increase the weights and drop the reps.
    My Journal

Darracq
    You had asked about strength gains. Now when I first attempted this in September of 2006, I went way to heavy on many things, but here is an idea of where I started with some exercise and how I finished this past summer. Some exercises got rotated out for a while, but here are some examples.

Incline DB press. FT did 100 for 8 reps rest paused. Last time I attempted them in early Summer this year I did 100's for 19 reps rest paused.

Regular Bench. FT I attempted I thought I could get 255. Got 3 on my first attempt which screwed it up. Fast forward to 2 years later and I got 260 for 11 reps rest paused. No spot or lift off. Now, I was being dumb with these because I kept the rep ranges too low. Also rotated these out for a while, but brought them back in. now doing lighter weight. First time last week did 205 for 25 reps rest paused with no spotter. Give me about a year on these and they will be up there.

Also first year of doing DC, I was going off of 1 article in Flex which intrigued me. Only got to IM last year in October.

2 years ago on squats I did 405 x's 5 and 275 x's 17 on my first attempted DC workout. Today, What I did is posted above, and that is without training for reps in over 3 months, so while there is not a huge strength gain there, all things considered. It gives me a good base to work off of. For awhile I got away from widowakers and did a rest pause type pause squat which was stupid. I brought the idea up at IM and it was greatly frowned upon. I got up to 435 on my heavy sets for 5 and 325 for my wiowmakers, but failed around 17 at my max on those.

Leg Press, which is a different machine than what I use now started with 1090 for 5 and 860 for 18. Less than 2 years later 1170 x's 5 and 960 for 21.

Rack Deads I went from 495 for 4 to 535 for 8

Bent over rows went from about 240 for 8 to 290 for 9.

Those werent's done over the entire 2 years.
    These are just a few examples. Some are better than other. It takes a bit of time to go back and forth through the log book. Keep in mind I did't quite get the full graps on DC training, per my own fault of not researching it better, until about a year in. That maybe affected some progress.
    Last edited by joey54; 12-07-2008 at 12:44 PM.

Just get under the bar!