Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Tricep Work out

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    229

    Tricep Work out

    Hi guys! Maybe this has been asked many times, but I wanted to know if my routine for triceps is good.

    I usually do Triceps and Biceps on the same day, once a week. I have gotten good results with my routine in the past. I changed things a bit, after reading a lot here and I want to know which routine you guys think is better, Old or New and if there are any exercises I should be putting in there.

    My Old Routine for Triceps:

    Skull Crushers: 4 Sets with 80 Lbs (Immediately after each set, I do close grip press up with same weight)

    Tricep Pull Down: 4 sets
    Overhead Tricep (Cables): 4 sets
    Tricep Machine: 4 sets
    Tricep Kick backs: 4 sets



    NEw Routine:

    Skull Crushers (With close grip press ups immediately): 4 Sets
    Dips: As many as I can during the WHOLE work out.
    Tricep Pull Down: 4 Sets
    OVerhead Triceps: 4 Sets

    For the New routine, I just included 'DIPS", because I read it's a very good compound exercise for the arms. Last time I did so many, to the poing where I couldn't do 3 in a row. Am I doing too many? I did them throughout the tricep/bicep work out... is it bad to do too many?

    Thanks


  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    1,902
    Not that its too many, but you may want some more variety...

    Add in some JS band pressdowns (100 reps, and set/rep combo), Neutral grip DB Presses, Tate Presses, or some regular Rolling DB Tricep extensions

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by WillNoble View Post
    Not that its too many, but you may want some more variety...

    Add in some JS band pressdowns (100 reps, and set/rep combo), Neutral grip DB Presses, Tate Presses, or some regular Rolling DB Tricep extensions
    Thanks a lot!!!

    90% of the exercises you named I didn't even know they existed :P I really like the Tate Presses and the Neutral Grip Presses look juicy

    Thanks amigo

  4. #4
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,884
    So, you're saying, 8 different exercises for trips?
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Morrisville,PA
    Posts
    3,071
    Bench press/skull crushers twice a week, military press once a week will make your triceps much larger than above mentioned workout.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    So, you're saying, 8 different exercises for trips?
    I am not sure what you mean, sorry

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Morrisville,PA
    Posts
    3,071
    Are you training for endurance? Not sure why you are doing so many sets with no rest? Hard to put on real muscle that way.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Bench press/skull crushers twice a week, military press once a week will make your triceps much larger than above mentioned workout.
    Excellent!! I started doing Military PResses for shoulders, so I should be good there. Doing skull crushers twice a week sounds good. I can do that. Thanks!! To be honest, taking advice from guys here on this forum was the best thing ever along with the readings. I have never been getting better results than when I joined this forum, so I really take advice from experienced guys and the articles posted here. I can't wait to see what I can achieve in 8 months from now


  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    229
    I am not training for endurance, well, at least I didn't mean that with my workout. I know I might be doing too many sets of something. What should I be doing for MASS?

    Thanks

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Morrisville,PA
    Posts
    3,071
    Yes, I would ditch all those accessories and go for bench/military. Dips and skullcrushers are the best assistance for tris IMO. What is your height/weight/goals? What are your maxes? Do you squat and deadlift? You may benefit well from starting strength for a while then going onto something like the Texas Method, which mixes volume and intensity. I have been on it for a month with great results, both strength wise and body composition wise.

    My triceps/chest/shoulders have grown significantly doing the following routine:

    Volume
    Monday:
    Bench 5x5 @ 235
    Squat 5x5 @ 285
    Pendlay Rows 5x5 @ 185
    Skull crushers 2x8 @ Medium weight (will be hard after 5 sets of bench)
    Couple sets of DB bicep curls, no big deal here just maintenance

    Recovery
    Wednesday
    Military Press 4 sets ramping up to one heavy set (only one heavy otherwise will certainly burn out, but allows for steady increase in weight week to week)
    Good mornings Light 2x8
    RDL's Light 2x8
    Lunges light 2x8
    Tricep pushdowns 2x8, light to medium weight
    Abs

    Intensity
    Bench 1x2 heaviest I can do
    Squat/DL alternate weeks. Squat is 1x3 heaviest I can do. DL is a real deadlift workout...something like 3x3 then 5 heavy singles.
    Pendlay rows 1x3 heaviest I can do
    Skullcrushers, 2x8 heaviest weight I can do (will have plenty of energy to do some reps here)
    Couple sets of DB bicep curls, no big deal here just maintenance

    Keep in mind this is an intermediate lifting routine. If you are just starting out and your lifts are low for your body weight then you will get much faster gains from Starting Strength. Once you start plateauing is when you need a routine such as this.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 07-27-2009 at 11:18 AM.

  11. #11
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryumexicano View Post
    I am not sure what you mean, sorry

    You posted four different exercises for triceps. Then somebody else told you to add four more (for variety). That would give you eight total exercises for triceps. And that doesn't include the work they get from your other pressing movements. That is WAY too much.
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Morrisville,PA
    Posts
    3,071
    As you gain experience, you can start lifting by "feel" when you will know exactly what your body needs to grow. That takes at least 2 years of lifting IMO.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    229
    Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate your time.
    I am fairly new to "serious" body building. I used to just "lift" like a lot of kids, to get some biceps and chest here and there, not "serious" like today. I just wanna be big and I am willing to work as hard as I need to. I have never been "fat", nor "skinny", so I have this medium body composition. I don't even know how to say it. :P

    Age: 24
    I am 5'7
    I weight: 175

    I bench: One 45 lb and 25, on each side (I don't know how to write it)
    I Squatt: 45 + 20, on each side (Ass to grass)
    DL: I haven't done it, seriously, due to fear of injuring myself. I don't know how to start



    I started Squatting 1 month and a week ago. I can honestly say that I can see the difference now that I included squatts to my routine.

    By the way, how do you guys count the weight you lift? I see 245 x 3, something like that, and I don't get it :P Can you guys enlight this soul.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    You posted four different exercises for triceps. Then somebody else told you to add four more (for variety). That would give you eight total exercises for triceps. And that doesn't include the work they get from your other pressing movements. That is WAY too much.

    Yeah, you are right. Too many of those triceps exercises. Since the ones I do right now do the "same movement for the tricep", I just try to go heavy on the Skullcrushers and PUll down tricep thing. To be honest I just don't know what to do for triceps. My triceps are of a "fair" size and I want them bigger month by month and I am afraid that if I keep doing the same thing, they won't grow.


  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Morrisville,PA
    Posts
    3,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryumexicano View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate your time.
    I am fairly new to "serious" body building. I used to just "lift" like a lot of kids, to get some biceps and chest here and there, not "serious" like today. I just wanna be big and I am willing to work as hard as I need to. I have never been "fat", nor "skinny", so I have this medium body composition. I don't even know how to say it. :P

    Age: 24
    I am 5'7
    I weight: 175

    I bench: One 45 lb and 25, on each side (I don't know how to write it)
    I Squatt: 45 + 20, on each side (Ass to grass)
    DL: I haven't done it, seriously, due to fear of injuring myself. I don't know how to start



    I started Squatting 1 month and a week ago. I can honestly say that I can see the difference now that I included squatts to my routine.

    By the way, how do you guys count the weight you lift? I see 245 x 3, something like that, and I don't get it :P Can you guys enlight this soul.
    Wow...Did not realize how new you were. You better ignore the routine I posted. 245 x 3 is 245 pounds for 3 sets. The bar is 45 pounds. You should buy starting strength (Mark Rippetoe) and read it cover to cover and do the routines he lists. You dont need any accessory exercises at this stage. Just heavy compounds 3 times a week. When you can bench 205 or so, squat and deadlift 315 each then you can start mixing in accessories.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Wow...Did not realize how new you were. You better ignore the routine I posted. 245 x 3 is 245 pounds for 3 sets. The bar is 45 pounds. You should buy starting strength (Mark Rippetoe) and read it cover to cover and do the routines he lists. You dont need any accessory exercises at this stage. Just heavy compounds 3 times a week. When you can bench 205 or so, squat and deadlift 315 each then you can start mixing in accessories.
    I am going to order that book Thanks a lot for all the information. I really appreciate it

Similar Threads

  1. My 1st PL routine
    By tramlaw in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 01:58 AM
  2. 4 Day Split?
    By zbollman in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-04-2009, 07:35 PM
  3. Your Morning Ritual
    By Maki Riddington in forum General Chat
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 06-17-2008, 12:40 AM
  4. Jack Daniel's Bastard Son
    By clvmike19 in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 1511
    Last Post: 07-10-2005, 09:15 PM
  5. How to poop at work (or school)
    By BennettBoy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-10-2002, 12:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •