The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Threaded View

Still Need a Little Convincing on SS

I know I've been bugging the hell out of this forum with questions lately, and I really appreciate the help.

Before I started considering SS, I would do 8 - 12 rep ranges on DB bench press, DB incline press, DB curls, one arm rows, tricep pulls, lateral arm raises, etc... the "normal" stuff you see folks doing at gyms. I would do a bunch of ab stuff, some leg curls, and a ****ty form of squats.

However, at the end of a workout, I would feel pretty taxed and would have sweated through my shirt.

So I started SS on Saturday. I'm doing the novice program thingy that omits power cleans (and I don't intend this to be a power clean discussion) and instead alternates pull ups/chin ups every workout (this program is on the Starting Strength wiki).

So I've done two workouts at this point. My legs are SORE as hell from the deep squats (which I assume is ++), but I don't feel taxed. When I finish the workout I don't feel taxed. Maybe it is because I'm still on light weights, I don't know... these are my numbers as of last night (obviously will add weight for the next workout as per the program):

Squat: 135 (although I will probably roll this back slightly and ramp back up to strengthen my form)

Bench: 155 (I can bench more but starting a little easy b/c of a chest injury)

Press: 95 (first time ever to do a standing press)

Deadlift: Not sure yet as the first time I was just getting the form (first time ever to DL)

Pull-ups: 1 set of 5, 1 set of 3, 1 set of 3

Weighted hyperextensions (on my non-DL day): 10 lbs. x 20 reps x 3 sets
    Weighted incline situps: 25 lbs. x 20 reps x 3 sets

The lifts would be hard towards the end, esp. squat and the press, but not so hard that I couldn't complete them. I'm trying to take this slow.

However, my main issue here is I don't feel like I've given my all. Maybe that comes with more weight but I REALLY wanted to add to the program last night but held off. I was thinking of hammer curls, overhead tricep pulls, and bent over rows. I'm trying to give this program its fair shake, but my experience with weight training has been taxing sessions (all the way back to high school football where we would work our ass off outside and then come inside to the weight room to start working our ass off again).

I just need to know that I'm doing this right. I'm not sore AT ALL anywhere above my waist line. I feel like I should be beat to hell feeling after a workout, but I have not even been close with SS yet except for the sore legs. I know it's only been two workouts so far but I'm not feeling taxed during them.

EDIT: my personal goals regardless of program are to gain muscle and strength plus look good... I'm 33 years old, 6' 3", and 200 lbs.
    Last edited by ZenFitness; 07-21-2009 at 09:54 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!