The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Young Muscle

Wannabebig New Member

Young Muscle

Hello there, this is my first post on this website. I'm not sure how to explain my problem, but I will try to the best of my abilities.

I am turning 17 this month and to tell you the truth, I am grossly overweight. I am about 325 pounds.

I am trying to lose the weight now as I know later in life I will have many problems due to my heaviness.

I am not particularly that strong right now and I want to change that

One of the most interesting parts of exercise for me is muscle building. I walk about 20 minutes a day right now. I want to start lifting weights, How should I start off? I can lift 15-pound hand weights pretty easily. But can only do about 25-50 lifts before my arms start getting tired.

I am mostly interested in gaining muscle in my arms and shoulders. I have pretty good leg strength(Probably due to my weight, lol.) What would be the best and safest way for me to go upon doing this?

Also what foods should I eat to gain muscle faster?

Also, will walking and lifting weights put a strain on my heart? I have done this before and I get really bad pains leading from my neck into my shoulder. I can deal with the neck pain, but I don't want to be having a heart-attack.

One more question, since I am 17, I assume that I am at my peak of gaining muscle? So it should be relatively fast no?

And are there any supplemental vitamins I can take to further increase the muscle I gain? Like centrum or something?
    Last edited by jtd; 07-01-2009 at 03:01 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post
    Hello there, this is my first post on this website. I'm not sure how to explain my problem, but I will try to the best of my abilities.

I am turning 17 this month and to tell you the truth, I am grossly overweight. I am about 325 pounds.

Good decision on trying to loose the weight.

I am trying to lose the weight now as I know later in life I will have many problems due to my heaviness.

I am not particularly that strong right now and I want to change that

One of the most interesting parts of exercise for me is muscle building. I walk about 20 minutes a day right now. I want to start lifting weights, How should I start off? I can lift 15-pound hand weights pretty easily. But can only do about 25-50 lifts before my arms start getting tired.

You could start out with any of the programs that are associated with this site or Starting Strength which is discussed in one of the stickies. I am doing Starting Strength right now and it is a great beginners program. Combining this with some form of cardio should lead to fat loss. I wouldnt advise doing High Intensity Interval Training yet, so you might want to start off with some steady state cardio.

I am mostly interested in gaining muscle in my arms and shoulders. I have pretty good leg strength(Probably due to my weight, lol.) What would be the best and safest way for me to go upon doing this?

Good leg strength would mean that you can squat 1.5 times your own weight. A lot of beginners neglect legs and back and only focus on "Trophy" muscles. Your muscle mass will be the way to burn the extra fast and seeing as most of your bodies muscle mass is in your legs and back, you should focus on that.

Also what foods should I eat to gain muscle faster?

You should eat clean wholesome food and lost of protein. Protein will make you feel fuller for longer and takes more calories to digest. Getting most of your carbs from fibrous veggies, will mean that you get fuller by eating less. This will help your weightloss seeing as you should burn more than you would consume.

Also, will walking and lifting weights put a strain on my heart? I have done this before and I get really bad pains leading from my neck into my shoulder. I can deal with the neck pain, but I don't want to be having a heart-attack.

One more question, since I am 17, I assume that I am at my peak of gaining muscle? So it should be relatively fast no?

This is the time where your hormones are at their optimum level. This should indeed mean that muscle gain can be relatively fast. It is deffinitely good to start now.

And are there any supplemental vitamins I can take to further increase the muscle I gain? Like centrum or something?

Seeing as your seventeen i wouldnt recommend any supplements to you other than protein powder. Food will be your best friend, as long as its clean. So no fast food, snacks or the like. If you are looking for good supplements check out this website:

http://www.atlargenutrition.com
    Answers in bold. Good luck with your loss!

First and foremost, congratulations for taking the first step. Most people who become grossly overweight have long since given up on themselves and won't ever give a healthier lifestyle much more than a passing thought.

You have the right idea starting with a basic lifestyle exercises such as walking 20 minutes a day. Try walking more as you improve your fitness level. Between walking and dietary changes, you will lose a lot of weight. It will probably happen quickly at first, but eventually it will slow down some. Your heart has to work very hard to circulate blood throughout a 325lb body that is used to being sedentary. Once you are in less of a position of risk, you can start trying to build some muscle, but for right now, I'd see your doctor and get checked out.

So far as supplements, it couldn't hurt to take a basic multivitamin and omega 3 fish oils. Supplements are the icing on the cake, where diet and exercise are the cake itself. I would hold off on anything else for now, while you get your diet in order. Speaking of diet, why don't you walk us through your average daily intake?

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by superhombre2k View Post
    First and foremost, congratulations for taking the first step. Most people who become grossly overweight have long since given up on themselves and won't ever give a healthier lifestyle much more than a passing thought.

I am no stranger to losing weight, I was down south for a few months and I had more of a happy mindset. And I believe it was because I use to be in some what of a healthy-fat state and was exercising every day. I was walking 40 minutes a day and waking up at 7 am every morning to go swimming. I also did biking for about an hour and a half. All this in one day 5 days a week and at about 280 pounds (Lost about 40 at the time And was still losing..). However when I had moved back up north I got really depressed and lost all hope for losing weight. It started off slow, I stopped walking, had no access to a pool anymore, it was turning into winter so I couldn't bike. I pretty much gave up. My food intake had gotten progressively worse over the winter months. Now that it is summer I can feel I can do it again.exercising made me happy it seems, as I was horribly depressed when I wasn't. I'd sleep for 15-16 hours a day.

You have the right idea starting with a basic lifestyle exercises such as walking 20 minutes a day. Try walking more as you improve your fitness level. Between walking and dietary changes, you will lose a lot of weight. It will probably happen quickly at first, but eventually it will slow down some. Your heart has to work very hard to circulate blood throughout a 325lb body that is used to being sedentary. Once you are in less of a position of risk, you can start trying to build some muscle, but for right now, I'd see your doctor and get checked out.

Right, I will do that. I'm thinking of just doing daily common exercise for the majority of the month of July. I will see how I feel toward the end of the month to see if I am ready or not to start lifting. As for the doctor thing, I'd rather wait until I'm a bit lighter as I'm afraid of the results. Diabetes and various cholesterol problems, triglyceride problems, heart problems,etc all run in my family and all too common. so yes, I'd rather wait a while until I get back in shape.

So far as supplements, it couldn't hurt to take a basic multivitamin and omega 3 fish oils. Supplements are the icing on the cake, where diet and exercise are the cake itself. I would hold off on anything else for now, while you get your diet in order. Speaking of diet, why don't you walk us through your average daily intake?

How do omega 3 fish oils benefit my exercising? My daily intake before I decided to start losing weight again would have to be over 9000 calories a day. I would eat pizzas, hotdogs, pizza rolls, etc. While doing nothing but pretty much sleeping and sitting down / studying. there is no excuse for my weight, but I must say that winter did contribute to me stopping the exercise and becoming a big fat loser.

As for
    Lunalicious, I appreciate your input, but Like I said I am overweight and unhealthy right now and do not think I can start the Starters Strength right now. While it sounds interesting, I am just looking for basic arm and shoulder exercises to gain muscle while I lose the weight. I DO realize that gaining arm and shoulder muscle will make me put on more weight.

As for right now, I only have access to a treadmill, dumb-bells and a flight of stairs.
    What is the best way for me to gain muscle with that? I can also make a liftup pole (Whatever you call it... You pull your self up and bring your head over the pole, not too informed with bodybuilding glossary )

Doing the lift exercises would be the best way to gain muscle? Or the dumb-bells?

I am also aware of the weight-loss plateaus. I have hit them farr too often.
    Last edited by jtd; 07-01-2009 at 04:18 AM.

I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing to do some light dumbbell exercises. Just take it easy at first with the lightest dumbbells, and be patient... there's progressive overload and there's overdoing it. Here's a chart I found that you could probably do most of the exercises from with just a pair of dumbbells.

http://www.shelterpub.com/_fitness/_...l_Training.pdf

I think a reasonable routine right now would be to do the dumbbells a few times a week, on non-consecutive days, and walk 20 minutes a day on the treadmill. You can increase the time on the treadmill every other workout or so, and increase the incline each week or two. I'd work in walking up the stairs as well, but remember not to over-exert yourself. Your fitness level will improve gradually, with occasional leaps and bounds!

Do you know makes up a good diet? You should look at nutrient density. That is how many micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals) there vs. how many calories a food has. The greater the amount of micronutrients and the lower the calories, the higher the nutrient density. You can read about it at World's Healthiest Foods (http://www.whfoods.com/). It's a great resource. I would also look at Men's Health magazine's ABS DIET POWER (http://www.absdiet.com/uof/absdiet/noemail/power12.html). They list 12 "power foods" that are nutrient dense and particularly good for people who want to maintain health and have a positive body composition. That is, lose weight and gain muscle! If you can eat something from all 12 groups each day while maintaining a reasonable calorie intake, you will be well on your way. I think they may even have a diet plan spelled out there.

As for the omega 3 fish oils, they are good for overall health. There's little that they are not good for, actually. They say 2-3 servings of a fatty coldwater fish like salmon per week is good, but I take a couple fish oil caps day with meals because I don't always eat fish.

P.S. You're talking about pull-ups or chin-ups. I don't think you'll be able to do them right now, but eventually you will!
    Last edited by superhombre2k; 07-01-2009 at 04:35 AM.

Wannabebig New Member
    I have one last question.

I am a caffeine fiend. I enjoy drinking coffee and energy drinks, gums, mints. Will caffeine inhibit me from gaining the muscle and overall losing the weight?

Take your muscle building as seriously as your weight loss. You know if you go half way on the weight loss, you aren't going to achieve your goals. Same goes for weight training.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post
    I am a caffeine fiend. I enjoy drinking coffee and energy drinks, gums, mints. Will caffeine inhibit me from gaining the muscle and overall losing the weight?
    No, it won't make it harder to gain muscle or lose weight necessarily, but it WILL put more strain on your heart.

The world loves caffeine and that's fine, I do too. But, if you are looking to improve your health, IMHO, you'd be much better off limiting your caffeine intake.

It's pretty clear that you have a problem with food. Part of creating better eating habits will be breaking that sweet tooth of yours and gum, mints, energy drinks, pop, coffee w. sugar, etc. aren't helping to that end...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Wannabebig Member
    As a fellow fatass (no offense), listen to the advice of this board.

DO STARTING STRENGTH. You WILL get stronger, you WILL lose weight if you keep your diet in check.

As for your leg strength? It sucks. I know because I used to say the same thing. SS will help build that up. Only if you can, as said earlier, squat your bodyweight x 1.5 ( so roughly 450) are you at the beginning of "strong legs".

Do some form of cardio 3-5 days a week. Fast walking, swimming, sled dragging/pulling. Make it happen.

The best thing about starting strenth is the want and drive it will give you to lift weights. Slow and steady wins the race. Start now.

Another thing:

Most people start off strong and lose steam when it comes to getting in shape.

If you want to give yourself the best chances possible, it'd probably be a good idea for you to post some before pictures on the pictures/video section, as well as start keeping a journal of your progress in the journals section.

Being able to track your progress will help you stay motivated.

Welcome to WBB and congrats on deciding to get in shape. I was also very overweight before deciding to cut down and get back in shape this year. I was 6'2" 280 lbs about 3 months ago. I was 245 this morning, and have put on good amount of muscle as well

A few people said to take it easy at first, but I don't completely agree. Absolutely go see your doctor to get an OK first thing, but as long as you don't have any pre-existing heart or blood pressure issues, I say start out strong. Your young, and your body can take it. Starting too slow and getting aggravated by slow progress has made me loose motivation in the past. When you really dig in and hit the gym hard, seeing those pounds melt off and lifts go up is the motivation that will make you stick with it!

I would suggest 2 or 3 weeks of light cardio/lifting, just to acclimate your body to moving around again, and then jump in full force. Absolutely start an established lifting program that incorporates compound lifts. I recommend Starting Strength, its simple to follow and will provide great gains if you stick with it. It's working awesome for me, I am progressing in my lifts even while at a huge caloric deficit. Also definitely incorporate HIIT, I do 3 sets of tabata intervals on the eliptical with max resistance/min resistance, 3 times a week. I am not a huge fan of steady state cardio, but I do play rugby and table tennis so I do get a bit of SS cardio there.

Diet is of course the most important part of getting in shape, weather it be cutting or bulking. I am no diet expert at all, though their are plenty here on WBB. lurk the diet forum as much as possible to pick up tips on your diet. My simple recommendation would be to eat a CLEAN diet, high in protein(.5-1g per lbs of body weight) and 500-1000 cals under your maintenance cals and you should be able to drop 2-3 lbs a week or more for some time, then 1-2 lbs a week after that. Drink a **** ton of water

The first month or two is the hardest. Set your short term and long term goals for what you want to do, and track them. Use fitday.com or another meal tracker to keep your diet in check and track your weight goals. Start a journal on here or at least a personal journal to keep track of your lifting. Do whatever you need to do mentally to keep yourself motivated. After a while what was the hardest thing ever, becomes easy, and then, next thing you know, you find yourself looking forward to the gym at the end of the day, and that is when you know you have made a lasting change in your life.

Good luck, and most importantly, have fun!

I was nearly in the same boat as you last year. I weighed about 245 pounds and was a completely out of shape pile at the start of my Junior year. Well, I got motivated to join the Marine Corps, and changed my life completely. By the end of my Junior year I was down to 160lbs and doing pullups, pushups, and running a 8 minute mile.

There are three things I can tell you that were critical to my success:

1.) Diet
    2.) Cardio
    3.) Weight Lifting

You MUST do ALL of those 3 thing! You will lose fat, keep most of your muscle and lean body mass, and gain strength.

My diet was simple. The first thing I did was cut out all pop. That was my biggest weakness. All pop is just wasted calories. I just ate a clean diet. Find your maintanence and drop it 500cals or whatever feels comfortable. At first I ate very few carbs, but added more as I began to be able to excersize more vigerously. Eat alot of lean sources of protein, and don't be afraid to pound down vegetables.

When I first started, I couldn't run more than 1/4th of a mile. It was terrible. But I just kept working at it. I would run the same route everyday and MAKE myself run farther each time. In no time I was running a mile easy, and now 5 miles isn't a big deal for me. Running may not be the best option for you now. You can start out walking, swimming, ect. The reason I ran so much was for the Marine Corps. Other forms of cardio are just as good for your purposes. Your body will tell you how much you can take right now.

And finally- Weight Lifting. You MUST lift, or else you will lose too much muscle and LBM. I would also suggest taking a Whey Protein shake.

I wish you luck. You WILL see results if you give this 100%. I never thought I would be able to do it, but now I look and feel like a completely different person.

Good luck!
    GOALS BY JANURARY 1, 2010
    GOAL - (CURRENT) - STARTING 6/2009

Deadlift- 365 - (280) - 200
    Squat- 275 - (205) - 135
    Bench Press- 205 - (135) - 115
    Hang Clean- 185 - (125) - 95
    Push Press- 175 - (110) - 75

Wannabe Fit.
    Iron BP is my bro. Listen to him. I basicly did the same thing, just didnt lose as fast...
    We lost a combined weight of like 200 lbs. Hah.

Good luck! Be sure to find something that motivates you, or youll lose steam (I know from experience)
    "We get stronger by improving our weaknesses" - Detard

Wannabebig New Member
    Back.

Sorry, During one of my training courses I was training with 55 pound weights and was running at 3 mph

I had suffered a heart attack and fell off the treadmill. Hitting my head, I forgot who I was for a few days and just like that I realized who I was again. They told me I slept for a whole day. I was really lucky because the ambulance just got there in time.

Congrats on wanting to make the change man. Consult a doctor first if you are worried about any pains your having. Good luck man.
    Shut Up And Train.

yeah as people have said consult a doctor first. Diet is the most important part of wieght loss, i suggest you consult your doctor and ask him to put you on a diet, continue to walk, and as most people have said Starting Strength is a very good routine, start light and increase wieght as your progress.