Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diary of a The Bar Bender: Old School effort, and New School Science

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas

Diary of a The Bar Bender: Old School effort, and New School Science

Well well, this will be like journal number 4 to 5ish, first one in well over a year. Since ive began posting here a lot more might as well keep a log.

As many of you know im a former collegiate athlete who has a lot of training experience under his belt, Was a 295 pound offensive lineman, now im down to around 240 with new workouts and such

Ive been working ever since i was 13 in the 8th grade and now im 24. The last two years of training, experimenting, reading, researching ideas and strength training techniques I've come up with What i consider a pretty solid base of programming and some solid loading parameters, exercise selection, frequency, cycling of exercises, and poundage's.

basic goals of the workout is to become strong as possible without gaining any extra weight, dropping this body fat off first goal would be to weigh 220 pounds and have single digit body fat, right now im in the upper teens at 240ish.

Rules of the workout are pretty simple 4 total body workouts. Each workout will consist of a push, a pull, Squat variation, and deadlift variation, total body exercise, and core work.

There will be no loading of the spine in consecutive workouts.

Weights will be heavy, reps will be low, sets will be high. This way i dont train to failure, you get enough volume to induce muscle growth, tension remains high enough to build strength, sets will be timed to no more than 1:30 between sets.

Exercises will be cycle every 8 weeks, and poundage's will be wave loaded on 4 week cycles, looking to add, 10-20 pounds per week on the load, depending on the exercise.

Right now im not taking any supps, just food and such. This is a very old school classic based routine on heavy lifts, heavy pulls and high frequency.

diet is basically meats, veggies, fruits, and natural foods that grow, im not counting calories, im eating to stay satisfied, keeping carbs limited and loading up on good food

With this plan my goal is to get as strong as humanly possible through using great technique and hard work. Hopefully soon you will see some sledge hammer swinging, Tire flipping, Kettlebell swinging, Sandbag Training, Keg Lifting and sled dragging, All of this will come in due time when I get a new job and more money to afford these things but believe you me they are coming.

Old school Effort with new school science and I will see where it takes me
    Last edited by BigCorey75; 07-21-2009 at 11:38 AM.
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Start out with Last nights workout

Deadlift
    315x3
    335x3
    365x3 5 sets

Pullups/ Dips (superset)
    6x5 on each

Low Box Squats
    315x3 6 sets

done and done, couldn't finish the last exercises due to time, but no biggies there

i had my deadlift up to working out with 450 plus, but its a weird exercise for me and im taking it slow sinc ive hurt my back, but ive been working hard on form and technique to get things going in the right direction, so that will be up soon

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

Take the deads slow, no reason to re-injure the back.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Trust me bro, you dont have to tell me to take it slowly....lol

i havent injured it in a while but still taking it easy, i just went about 2 months not doing any heavy deads, and now im back on the game im still working hard on form and such and staying tight and using my entire body

What did you do to injure your back the first go around?

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

man that was a while back in 2006 , i was deadlifitng and i had a slip in form, and it wasnt that big an issue at first, in fact i finished the workout, and i worked out the next two days,but one sunday night i had a ridiculously terrible pain in my lower back and shooting down my legs that i needed med to subside.

so it healed up after a few days, i took it easy, and kinda learn how to train around it. just every so often it would flare up and cause me hell for about 4 days, then id ease back into it. until finally i went to a sports chiro and he told me i had a bad spasm, that never healed correctly, so he gave me some exercises to work it out rehab it and i took about two months off of squatting and deadlifting and it healed up nicely and ive been pain free ever since, occasioanly it will get a tad stiff but i know how to protect it better, and im paying super close attention to detail in fixing my form perfect, and i pull each rep with a fresh start and a precision pull, its something im working through because i want to deadlift 600 pounds again, then possibly get into raw powerlifting

If you haven't already, look at going to an ART guy. I did almost the exact same thing that you did , and I haven't experienced near the relief that I have in the last week and a half. Well worth it.

Ive been looking into going to an ART guy as well, but ima wait for a while, doesnt really bother me too much now, just some occasional tightness after a tough workout.

but def when i get a new job and a health plan, more so extra cash that insurance, ima look into getting some ART ive read nothing but good stuff about it

I'll be reading your log with great interest Corey, I've always thought you an intelligent bloke so to read your programming should be good.

Out of curiousity, when you say no spinal loading in consecutive workouts, what do you mean exactly? Wouldn't a squat or deadlift variation always load the spine to some degree?
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

not exactly tomv

there are variations of the squat that load the spine, ie, power, full, olympic, sumo, front, yadda yadda yadda.

the variations of the squat that dont load the spine are mainly lunges and things of the like, walking, standing, reverse, front.

but the exercise im working on mastering now is the one leg squat, checkit out on youtube its pretty tough

also the versions of the deadlift that do not load the spine include, hyper extensions, reverse hypers, glute ham raises and things of that nature

so basically if i do sumo deads and front squats in a workout, the next workout will be lunges and hyperextensions.

so thats what i was talking about by not loading the spine in consecutive workouts

Nice to see another of these starting up. You are always an interesting member to follow, gl with your goals bro.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

I'm curious as to why lunges don't load the spine? If they aren't weighted lunges then I understand but otherwise you are supporting the load through your shoulders which are attached to the spine.

Pistols are insane mate, I definitely want to be able to do one of them but as soon as I get near parallel things start getting hella wobbly haha.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

When i say loading the spine, i mean do something that places pressure directly along the top of the spine such as squats, but holding weight in hands do not load the spine nearly as much. hold 200 pounds in ur hands does not have the same spinal loading effect as strapping 400 pounds across your shoulders.

i can do pistols to a box for like sets of 5, my first goal is to be able to do 5 on each leg, then 10 per leg, then eventually be able to do 20 per leg, might take me a few years but hey, i will have something to shoot for

nice one today

Bench Press
    275x5 5 sets

Chin ups
    5x5

glute ham raises
    5x5

Dumbell rows
    125x5 5 sets

one leg squat
    6x4

Bulgarian Squats
    160x5 per leg, 5 sets

done and done

Lookin forward to this mang.... give me something to shoot for after I'm done being all healthy ish and lame dieting down.

Good workout mate, looks short, sweet and effective!
    My Journal

Very nice session Corey, glad seeing you do your thing in here again.

WBBIRL- ill be sure to try and set a good pace for ya

tomv- yeah it was, took about an hour and 15 mins

Coke- glad to be back

HAH, I haven't thought about Bulgarian Squats in a while. Thanks for reminding me.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

No Problem Bill, they are a staple in my routine, i love them

Good one today

Front Box Squats
    225x3
    235x3
    245x3 4 sets

Wide Grip Pullups
    5x5

Incline Bench Press
    225x5
    245x5 4 sets

RDL
    275x5 5 sets

T-bar rows
    135x5 5 sets

good one and done

Nice front squats man.

Thanks bro, im def trying to just get super strong on all of my lifts

Good stuff. I'm taking the same approach to my diet as you are so I'm interested in seeing your results. Do you plan on doing any cardio?

As far as conventional cardio, no. The plan is to soon get myself a Tire and a Sledgehammer as well as doing some kettlebell work in the near future when I get some cash to purchase the KB and SH, and when I get somewhere to put the Tire to flip. then I will have two conditioning workouts involving using these methods in the near future

alright, back into a program, here is todays workout

Deadlifts
    295x3
    315x3
    365x3
    405x2 4 sets
    385x3 4 sets

Dips
    5x10

Pullup
    5x5

Front Squats
    205x3
    225x3
    250x3
    275x2 4 sets
    255x3 4 sets

done and done