Thread: My last "critique" thread.

My last "critique" thread.

So, I'm just finishing up my week off. I'll be starting a new routine on Monday...

Some background: I've been lifting for several years (properly), my numbers are approximately 300/400/450 (a bit more on the 400 squat, but I like round numbers), I just finished a 20 rep squat routine combined with bulking where I finished at 335 lbs x 20 reps. I'm 5'11" and weigh 240 lbs (highish BF %)

My goals for this routine will be to build up my low rep strength in the squat while adding conditioning. I want to ultimately push my 20 rep numbers higher and I think absolute strength and conditioning will be the key.

My proposed workout will be three days a week (M/W/F)...

Day 1
    Standing overhead Press (5/3/1)
    Standing overhead press (65%) 3x10
    Bar dips 4 x 8
    Skull crushers 3 x 10
    Ab work 3 x 10

Day 2
    Box squat (5/3/1)
    Box squat (50%) 1 x 20
    SLDL 3 x 10
    Bent Row 4 x 6
    Barbell Curl 3 x 8
    Calf Raises 3 x 15

Day 3
    Bench Press (5/3/1)
    Bench press (65%) 3x10
    Seated Shoulder Press 3 x 8
    Bench dips 3 x 10
    Ab work 3 x 10

Day 4
    Deadlift (5/3/1)
    Deadlift (65%) 3x10
    Chin 4 x 6
    Seated dumbbell Curl 3 x 8
    Calf Raises 3 x 15
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

On my off days, Tuesday and Thursday, I will be power walking for about 30 minutes.

On Saturday, I will be mixing eliptical and sled pulling. About 15 minutes on the eliptical and as many pulls with the sled as I can get before I die. If I get to 6 pulls, I'll increase the weight.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I'll be playing with the diet. My goal would be to maintain while increasing strength. I'm leaning twards increased calories on training days and maintenance on off days.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

The volume is a bit high for me preference but it looks pretty solid. You might want to even out your upper pushing and pulling though. So a given few weeks will look like this...?:

M/W/F M/W/F M/W/F
    1/2/3 4/1/2 3/4/1
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post

M/W/F M/W/F M/W/F
    1/2/3 4/1/2 3/4/1

That's what I was thinking...sorry if it wasn't clear.

And the volume is a little higher than I'm used to, but I'm really going to try to push the conditioning. As long as the squat weight keeps going up and I increase my conditioning, I'm not too concerned with the rest of the lifts. Think of it as a squat/conditioning specialization.
    Last edited by Off Road; 08-02-2009 at 11:49 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Well, I think it looks fun and creative. If you think youll do well on it then by all means give it a go. Like I said, the only think Id change is the volume and even out the ratio of upper pushing and pulling. You might also want to keep an eye on how your lower back recovers from all of the volume it will be sustaining too. Again, all of the "problems" I see with the potential split can be fixed with a reduction in volume. Its better to be undertained than overtrained and it is much easier to add in a movement or two because you feel you can handle it than it is to overtrain and worry about the problems that entail. Id start out with less volume, see how you recover, then slowly add if you feel the necessity, especially when beginning a new routine. Who knows, you might make incredible progress on a trimmed down version.
    Sarvamangalam!

It's good advice...I'll revisit my routine and see what I can do with it.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal