The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Lifting workout for my girl?

My girl friend and I usually go down to the gym at the same time. It's nice that we both like to workout and I don't have to nag her about it.

Anyways I usually head to the weight area to do my SS workout and she usually heads to the cardio area to run or bike or whatever.

However last workout she wanted to lift with me. I think maybe because we had talked about some girls who lift look nice because you can tell they have some strength and look well rounded out physique wise.

I wasn't sure what she should be doing so she tried to do some of what I was. She did some squats with me.

She started out doing just her body weight, and could not get to parrallel as these are her first time doing squats. She got pretty sore after doing 3 sets of 10 reps.

Long story short is, if she wants to lift with me what is a good workout for her? Should she be doing the SS workout with me as a very very novice lifter?

She is a pretty skinny gal, maybe 5'8 - 5'9 120lbs? She is looking to clean up some flab on her legs, but, and belly.

Granted she doesn't have to do any of it. I lover her the way she is and she goes down and exercizes because she wants to.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

There is no reason that a woman should workout any differently than a man. In fact, gender specific programs and routines are ridiculous. Women do however have very different hormone balances, so the results from a program may not yield results as quickly for them as they would for a man. They must be patient and as for any program, consistency is the key.

SS would be fine for anyone to begin. Some of the movements may be technical and may require some help from a training partner that knows what they are doing. For people that are just learning to Squat, I use a low box and PVC pipe for them. When they can easily complete several sets of low-box squats with just the pipe on their backs, it is time to start adding weight. Many people who do not Squat are shocked to find out that it is very difficult for them to squat down to a low box and back up with just their bodyweight. This is because the box does not allow cheating (unless you let them bounce or rock) and forces correct form. Give it a shot.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

anything with squats
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

Thank you for the replies. I was wondering if her doing the same SS routine as me but with less weight and more reps was ok.

Having her doing 10 - 12 rep sets (lighter weight for toning) instead of 5 rep sets (heavy for size and strength). I think she is more interested in getting tone, not adding size.

Thanks.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by depotman View Post
    Thank you for the replies. I was wondering if her doing the same SS routine as me but with less weight and more reps was ok.

Having her doing 10 - 12 rep sets (lighter weight for toning) instead of 5 rep sets (heavy for size and strength). I think she is more interested in getting tone, not adding size.

Thanks.
    Re-read Kiaran's post

He is right, women need not to train any differently than a man and u can take a muscle fiber from a man and one from a woman and there is no difference.

Using higher reps is good to teach and train exercises in the beginning, but to create that tone you need two things.

First you need muscle mass and low body fat, this is achieved the same way in women as men, they need to lift to get stronger in the same way men do in order to build muscle and clean up diets to drop down the fat.

Second you need what is called "relaxed tension" in the muscles. This relaxed tension is what gives the muscle its "tone" and the only way to add this tone to the muscle is to train it under a lot of tension aka heavy weight.

If she wants that nice rock hard tight butt that you can bounce a quarter off of, have her train to lift more weight on the deadlift, double her deadlift weight and that will take care of that butt.

if she wants that super sexy tone back and arms that she can feel confident in wearing backless dresses during summer time and evening affairs, have her double the number of pullups she can do.

If she wants that nice firm bust line and strong shouders and nice tone arms, get her to double the amount of weight she can bench press

She wants those sexy tone legs that would look fabulous in any set of shorts or jeans she wants to wear, have her double the amount of weight she can squat.

She wants that slim sleek sexy tight waist line Assure her crunches are not the way, get her diet in order to drop the fat and use core strengthening exercises in her program such as planks, and core mobility work such as twisting motions

having her train to get stronger is the best way and quickest way for her to get her results.

Assure her that she does not have the hormone capacity to get as big as a man, hell even most men don't even have the genetics to be very big anyways so how is she going to do that?

Take it easy, teach her good form on the best basic exercises, squats, deadlifts, lunges, pressing, rowing, pullups and over head press. once she is good at these have her focus on getting stronger on those exercises in the same manner you would train to get stronger with them use and utilize the 5x5, 4x6, 6x4 rep schemes to help her build the muscle, get her diet spot on and no more than 20 mins of cardio post workout, and make all of her workouts total body workouts

simple way to do so, do a squat variation, deadlift variation, push, pull and core work each workout and end it with 20 mins of cardio, and if the workout is intense enough shell barely be able to do the cardio, just good low and slow for about 20 mins and she will be good to go on reaching her goals
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Check out A Manís Guide to Getting His Woman In Shape - some good stuff in there.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? Ė My Training Journal

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    one other thing: women can't recover as quickly as men so it would be wise to get your girl to do less volume (less sets of a given exercise or less exercises) - this only really applies though if you train with a lot of volume.
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786

One important point to remember - give her something to do that she LIKES and will therefore STICK TO.

We might be passionate about squats, deadlifts, pushing and pulling but she might just HATE the idea of this and therefore the results won;t come because she'll give up and get bored. Just bear in mind
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? Ė My Training Journal

...and take pictures while she deadlifts/squats

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    cosign
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Wow, some of the best replies I've seen for people asking for adivce.

Great advice, and thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I will definitely pass this along to my girl. I think I will just email her the link to this thread and let her read it. I' m sure your replies of -

If she wants that nice rock hard tight butt that you can bounce a quarter off of, have her train to lift more weight on the deadlift, double her deadlift weight and that will take care of that butt.

if she wants that super sexy tone back and arms that she can feel confident in wearing backless dresses during summer time and evening affairs, have her double the number of pullups she can do.

If she wants that nice firm bust line and strong shouders and nice tone arms, get her to double the amount of weight she can bench press

She wants those sexy tone legs that would look fabulous in any set of shorts or jeans she wants to wear, have her double the amount of weight she can squat.

She wants that slim sleek sexy tight waist line Assure her crunches are not the way, get her diet in order to drop the fat and use core strengthening exercises in her program such as planks, and core mobility work such as twisting motions
    will get her attention .

Thanks again guys. One other newb question would be on protein. I know you suggest that women need not to train any differently than a man and u can take a muscle fiber from a man and one from a woman and there is no difference.

What about protein intake for her while lifting, should it be the same as mine? As far as grams per lb of body weight?

Just read the link - A Manís Guide to Getting His Woman In Shape. It suggested -

Include lean, complete protein at every meal and snack.

The ideal amount of protein per day for an exercising individual is 1 gram per pound of body weight. For a 140 lb woman, thatíd be 140 g of protein. To make this easier, every time your woman snacks or eats a meal, she should include some protein.
    I will relay this info to my girl.