Thread: Strongman comp.

Banned

Strongman comp.

Im entering a Strongman comp. Which is in 2 weeks. I havent trained and im no expert. Really a spur of the moment kinda thing. I've asked all the pernant questions like events, weights ect. The events are-

Log Press-225 reps/60 seconds
    Farmer 250lbs each hand 50' down and back 60 seconds (one drop allowed)
    Deadlift 405 for reps 60 seconds (no straps)
    Atlas Stones 280 Stone over bar (average chest height) 60 seconds
    Tire Flip 600lb Tire, flips 120 seconds

Im familar with all the events and am not really worried. But if I had to pick 1 event im not sure about its the Farmers walk. Is 250lbs PER HAND alot of weight on the farmers walk? I mean, i downloaded the entry and it says 250lbs farmers walk, so to clarify I asked the director if it was 125 each hand or what, but he says its 250 each hand, so im not sure if thats tough or what. Thanks for the info guys.

Sounds like fun. Good luck with it.
    Shut Up And Train.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hernandez View Post
    Im entering a Strongman comp. Which is in 2 weeks. I havent trained and im no expert. Really a spur of the moment kinda thing. I've asked all the pernant questions like events, weights ect. The events are-

Im familar with all the events and am not really worried. But if I had to pick 1 event im not sure about its the Farmers walk. Is 250lbs PER HAND alot of weight on the farmers walk? I mean, i downloaded the entry and it says 250lbs farmers walk, so to clarify I asked the director if it was 125 each hand or what, but he says its 250 each hand, so im not sure if thats tough or what. Thanks for the info guys.
    250 lbs is a pretty good weight. I would try and find a pair to practice on after you squat or deadlift. Grip the handles slightly behind center so that there is a slight forward lean with the handles which should help propel you forward. Lighter DBs could be a substitute but your best bet is to find a pair.

Also, do you have a log? The log is a bit awkward to get used to and you may just want to familiarize yourself with it. I would make sure you locate some tacky for the stone. A 280 lb stone is tough to pick up without it.

Jesse - those look like good standard events.

The log will be a little cumbersome but as long as you can standing military press 225 lbs then you should be able to get it for a few reps. Make sure to wear flat shoes like chucks or wrestling shoes for this event.

A 250 lbs farmers walk is a pretty standard weight and is something that you should be able to handle your first time out if you have a pretty strong grip. One thing that is very important is how you pick up the farmers. You actually want to roll your hand underneath the handle so that it is at the bottom of your hand, and then as you stand up it will actually pull the handle into the "sweet spot" in your hand and allow for better grip. If you just reach down and try to grasp them then you are almost pinch gripping instead of using your supporting grip strength and there is a good chance you will not make it very far.

If you watch closely in this video I think that you can see what I am talking about: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/vi...v=120209290408

The deadlift will be pretty standard, one thing to make sure of is to ask the promoter if they are going to do 'touch and go' or give you 'up' and 'down' commands for each lift. If they allow a bounce you may want to try to utilize that since others definitely will.

Have you ever done an atlas stone before? Tacky will definitely be something that you should order. You can get it from Jackals Gym or the North American Strongman website. Apply a thin layer of tacky on your forearms and palms, grip the stone and stiff leg deadlift it up from the ground then roll it into your lap - do not try to "row" the stone.

The tire is pretty straightforward. Here is a video that I took a couple of months ago showing the two different techniques - I would utilize your knee if you are not very experienced with tire flipping: http://www.facebook.com/video/video....00775408&saved

With your strenght levels you should do very well Jesse. Definitely take some pictures / video and let me know if there is anything that I can do to help you get ready.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Banned
    Is 250lbs PER HAND alot of weight on the farmers walk? I mean, i downloaded the entry and it says 250lbs farmers walk, so to clarify I asked the director if it was 125 each hand or what, but he says its 250 each hand, so im not sure if thats tough or what.
    No, that's not all that much. I did 225 each hand, and carried it 50 feet in like 10 seconds, the first time I ever tried farmers walk.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 07-22-2009 at 10:04 AM.

HAHA SEE YOU THERE JESSE! I Just heard about this and put in my own entry! Gonna be quite a few guys there adn it's going to be a blast! Can't wait to meet quite a few guys from this site!!
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post
    HAHA SEE YOU THERE JESSE! I Just heard about this and put in my own entry! Gonna be quite a few guys there adn it's going to be a blast! Can't wait to meet quite a few guys from this site!!

I agree, see ya there! This should be real fun!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    No, that's not all that much. I did 225 each hand, and carried it 50 feet in like 10 seconds, the first time I ever tried farmers walk.
    That's not fast - I know guys who've taken 250 ea hand for 100' w/ a turn in sub 20.

Jesse - it's enough weight that you'll want to try and jump on the implements at least once to get used to them. I'm sure between Tom and I we could walk you through the dynamics of farmers if you can't get some time on the implements if you need.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    That's not fast - I know guys who've taken 250 ea hand for 100' w/ a turn in sub 20.

Jesse - it's enough weight that you'll want to try and jump on the implements at least once to get used to them. I'm sure between Tom and I we could walk you through the dynamics of farmers if you can't get some time on the implements if you need.
    Well ive actually did them before but it was several years ago and it wasnt 250lbs. We did them (kinda) this spring in football with dumbells (100's) each hand. Those obviously werent a problem for me, but its a far cry from 500lbs.

We've done tireflips aswell, so im not worried about that. Nor am I worried about the log press. I use my lower body really well and have done 225 overhead press easily without much legdrive. The 405 deadlift isnt a concern either, i've deadlift 600lbs (which is about 90-95%) not sure how many times I'll get it, i'll try and figure out what its going to take to win and shoot for 1-2 more reps than that. Im worried about the stones because I dont have any tacky!

I feel like I can excell in strongman because im pretty strong and im very agile for a 300lb man.

Banned
    wen i did my strongman comp i didnt have n e tacky either but the other guys are sure to lend you some. i get the sense that in the strongman community everyone supports everyone. as for the log press just make sure u know how to roll it up with your hips. should make it a lot easier. good luck man! take my word wen i say its crazy fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post

I agree with everything that Ben said.

At Nationals last year for the LW's it was 285 lbs per hand for 60' strait run and the top times were in the 8 second range. Since this contest has a turn it becomes a completely different event because that creates a big challenge and it will be more about who makes the best turn rather than who is the fastest.

In contests I have finished a 250 farmers for 100' with a turn in 19 seconds, and am not known for my speed (am also a 5'8 LW).

Jesse - if there is any way that you can try the implements prior to the contest that would be a great idea. Learning to turn with farmers walk can be a bit tricky....

There are a few different methods:
    • Run down and drop them then turn your body around and go the other direction (some contests do not allow this).
    • Run down and take a fast turn then drop them to even out the impelments and take off for the straightaway home.
    • Take a long winding turn while maintaining your foot speed.
    • Slow down as you approach the turn and take a tight turn then accelerate back.

Some will suggest that you bring the outside implement into the inside one so that they touch in the turn and make you more stable. There are a lot of vidoes on youtube that you can watch of people making turns with farmers walk - and that should give you a good idea of what the technique should look like and also which technique might work best for you.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 07-24-2009 at 09:42 AM.

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

With regard to stone loading, gorilla rags or tacky towels will help - they will not be as good as actual tacky but will give you a better grip on the stone. Stones at a contest should have a good amount of stick on them by the time that you actually get to use them as long as you are not the 1st or 2nd person to go (especially with stone over bar for reps).

You can purchase the tacky towel at sports authority - it is in the tennis section. This will also be helpful for the tire flip.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    With regard to stone loading, gorilla rags or tacky towels will help - they will not be as good as actual tacky but will give you a better grip on the stone. Stones at a contest should have a good amount of stick on them by the time that you actually get to use them as long as you are not the 1st or 2nd person to go (especially with stone over bar for reps).

You can purchase the tacky towel at sports authority - it is in the tennis section. This will also be helpful for the tire flip.
    Thanks for all the support and help guys. Im really planning on doing good at this thing. After my football career I will be focusing more on powerlifting and strongman, so im fortuniate to be abel to get to do it now and learn while im kinda young. I plan to be around for a while!

Banned
    I did some 225 presses today. Started at the floor and cleaned them, and then loaded my legs and pressed. I think I did 5 sets of 2 reps each. Depending on the shape/size of the log i'll be shooting for 7-10 reps in 60 seconds.

The standard for most contests is a 12" diameter log, which is going to be quite different from barbell clean & press. For the clean you will almost roll the log up your body. The press tends to be a bit cumbersome as the log restricts your breathing and is a bit harder to transfer leg drive to (pulls you forward).

One way to better emulate this in the gym would be to do dumbell clean and press. You bring the dumbells from the floor then into your lap, use your hips to bring them to your shoulders and then complete the press/jerk with palms facing each other. These will be relatively tough and I would say that if you are hitting 225 for reps on a barbell you should probably work with 75-85 lbs dumbells to start.

I can try to take a video of this movement if you would like.