Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grip Strength

Quote Originally Posted by Jboy View Post
    masturbate more often.

switch hands every now and again.
    How many sets/reps? Is it okay to train till I get a pump/feel a burn or should I just go heavy and hard?
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    bahahahaha you got me laughing
    It's a tried and true program.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    How many sets/reps? Is it okay to train till I get a pump/feel a burn or should I just go heavy and hard?
    I'd say 1 set of about 300 to 500 reps will do it. If your feeling a burn then your doing it wrong, heavy/hard is the way to go.

Hope that helped

Quote Originally Posted by Jboy View Post
    anywhere, anytime.
    lol I did mean for the original poster though. Reason being columbus has a lot of powerlifting gyms where you can use all the chalk you want. Seems silly to train at a sub par place.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLift View Post
    lol I did mean for the original poster though. Reason being columbus has a lot of powerlifting gyms where you can use all the chalk you want. Seems silly to train at a sub par place.
    Haha, sorry, I was a little eager to bust out that call.

Where do you train at?
    Lifestyle Family Fitness. It's dead in there during lunchtime which is why all the staff works out at that moment.

Cost is a factor. (and well finding the locations as well that are convenient for my life)
    Last edited by Coqui; 07-27-2009 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tank82 View Post
    Question: are you using lifting straps for anything else, such as pull-ups, pull downs, seated rows, shrugs, etc.? If so you might want to ditch them. All those exercises can help aid in making your grip stronger. You don't have to stop using them for good, just do as many sets as you can without them.

I also do my side laterals and rear laterals with a thumbless grip, I believe this also helped me out with my grip.
    Currently I'm not using anything. Just bare skin on steel (or iron or whatever)

But I know I can deadlift 405 right now. My grip doesn't want to let me deadlift 365.

Banned
    I do double overhand grip for a 5x5 on SLDL days. My grip strength has gone through the roof since I started doing this. I use wraps on rack pull days though. Don't know what your routine looks like, but mixing in double overhand has yielded me the greatest success.

Zach

Here are my suggestions:
    *Do most of your work with a normal grip
    *Do only your heavy, heavy DL work w. mixed grip
    *Learn how to grip the bar properly. I know I've quoted Rickey Dale Crain's advice on this matter before - doing an advanced search should bring it up

As far as the mixed hook grip - it's certainly one way to go, but it's not a remedy for a weak grip. There are a few VERY successful PLers who have used it. I can't name them off the top of my head, but I remember at least a few pictures of Finnish DLers using it.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Here are my suggestions:
    *Do most of your work with a normal grip
    *Do only your heavy, heavy DL work w. mixed grip
    *Learn how to grip the bar properly. I know I've quoted Rickey Dale Crain's advice on this matter before - doing an advanced search should bring it up

As far as the mixed hook grip - it's certainly one way to go, but it's not a remedy for a weak grip. There are a few VERY successful PLers who have used it. I can't name them off the top of my head, but I remember at least a few pictures of Finnish DLers using it.
    This is what I found:

The bar should "not" be squeezed. Rather, it should just lay in the fingers/hand. Only the thumb should be flexed, or squeezed, not the hands, not the forearm. If this is done incorrectly, most likely, the bar on a very hard pull will slip out of the hands. Also if the hands are rotated as you grip the bar, it will most likely slip out as the weight pulls down, and pulls the rotated hands back to a straight up and down position. One does not have to have a strong grip to hold onto large amounts of weight. I have a very poor grip and grip strength and have never lost a deadlift, i.e. 716 at 165lbs.
    However, I'm really having problems trying to picture this being done.

Where should the bar be placed? Should the bottom of the bar be between the 1st and 2nd knuckle? And how can you make sure it doesn't slip out of your fingers if you're not applying pressure with the fingers?

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Would they really give a **** if you used chalk? Just bring chalk in someday and see if they say anything. I'm a trainer at my gym and I ignore the no chalk rule haha.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB