The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grip Strength

Grip Strength

Ok, I've just about had it with this. My deadlift is suffering because my hands can't keep a hold on the bar. I'd love to be able to do this without straps. I can't use chalk/powder, because when I work out, it's the same time all the PT's are working out (and we're the only ones in the weight area)

What exercises can I do to increase grip strength? I really want to depend on straps as little as possible.

What I have access to are barbells (with as much weight as I'll ever need), dumbells up to 100 pounds (which I have no issues holding on to) and various machines designed for other exercises.

Please help me not depend on straps!!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Rack pulls and deficit deads are good for grip. You can also just do static holds with a loaded up barbell. Also, have you tried using hook grip? If that's not secure enough, you can even try a mixed hook grip which should be pretty damn stable.

I'll have to try the mixed hook grip. Can't believe I've never heard of that till now.

i had the same problem. i used double overhand grip, and it was hard! as soon as i used a mixed grip, I was able to add 20lbs to my deadlift!
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

chalk up in the restroom?

use a chalk ball?

Use liquid chalk?
    Sarvamangalam!

I'm not so sure about a mixed hook grip. I've never tried it, but I think it would put your under hand in a very awkward position. I also doubt it would actually help your grip much beyond a regular hook grip.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Mixed grip?

I've seen others on the forum recommend farmers walks as well.

first of all...change to a mixed grip

i myself actually compete in grip contests and hold a few minor records ni certain 1h deadlifts.

chalk helps..and if no chalk then go with liquid chalk.

working your forearms too will definately help your grip due to the fact that the major wrist flexors are also the major movers of your pinkie, ring, and middle fingers.

static holds have been mentioned, etc. There's just so much you can do and doing double overhand deads until your grip fails and hten going to mixed is imho the best of the two to allow for your grip strength to grow and at the same time work the deadlift harder beyond that point when you change your grip back to mixed.

working with grippers like those found at grippersuperstore.com which is owned by wade gillingham or ironmind captains of crush grippers are good too!

for more on grip training keep an eye out for more videos on the ALN youtube account that i'll be posting as well as visiting gripboard.com.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Wannabebig Member
    Plate pinching, towel pullups, curls, thick bar holds, farmers, grippers, rock holds, tennis ball squeezes.

Use many methods and each will play a small part in getting forearms like popeye.

Add in a small amount of work each time so you don't overkill your forearms. Remember, once you can rip a phone book in half, you'll be able to deadlift 500lbs easily.. honest!

Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    i had the same problem. i used double overhand grip, and it was hard! as soon as i used a mixed grip, I was able to add 20lbs to my deadlift!
    I'm already using a mixed grip. Only one side fails me. Doesn't matter whether or not that side is supinated or pronated.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyback40k View Post
    Add in a small amount of work each time so you don't overkill your forearms. Remember, once you can rip a phone book in half, you'll be able to deadlift 500lbs easily.. honest!
    I'm pretty sure the guys at mythbusters can't deadlift more than 225

Quote Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
    I'll have to try the mixed hook grip. Can't believe I've never heard of that till now.

Quote Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
    I'm already using a mixed grip. Only one side fails me. Doesn't matter whether or not that side is supinated or pronated.
    hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    I'm not so sure about a mixed hook grip. I've never tried it, but I think it would put your under hand in a very awkward position. I also doubt it would actually help your grip much beyond a regular hook grip.
    It allows you to have more control of the weight imo. The fact that one hand is under opposed to double over makes it easier to control the weight and ther is less of a chance of the weight slipping out.. Not as good for grip strength as double over, but it does allow you to DL more weight in many cases.

Plate pinching, towel pullups, curls, thick bar holds, farmers, grippers, rock holds, tennis ball squeezes.
    These are some good exercises for building grip stength. They sell alot of stuff to help build up your grip. You should check out Diesel Crew, those guys do some crazy grip training.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post

Not as good for working the grip as regular grip, but you can lift a hell of a lot more weight. I don't switch to mixed grip untill i need to. When my grip starts to limit my deadlift i will have to use straps i guess, but i will only use them when required not for all my sets.

Use many methods and each will play a small part in getting forearms like popeye.

I agree, but I would say that to make a significant quick increase in grip strength frequency is a must, at least for a while. At least 2-3 times a week, with heavy pulls in the weight room counting as one.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

masturbate more often.

switch hands every now and again.

Where do you train at?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLift View Post
    Where do you train at?
    anywhere, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
    It allows you to have more control of the weight imo. The fact that one hand is under opposed to double over makes it easier to control the weight and ther is less of a chance of the weight slipping out.. Not as good for grip strength as double over, but it does allow you to DL more weight in many cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    Not as good for working the grip as regular grip, but you can lift a hell of a lot more weight. I don't switch to mixed grip untill i need to. When my grip starts to limit my deadlift i will have to use straps i guess, but i will only use them when required not for all my sets.
    Yes, mixed grip is great. Mixed hook grip, I'm not so sure. Then again, I've never tried it out so what do I know.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Question: are you using lifting straps for anything else, such as pull-ups, pull downs, seated rows, shrugs, etc.? If so you might want to ditch them. All those exercises can help aid in making your grip stronger. You don't have to stop using them for good, just do as many sets as you can without them.

I also do my side laterals and rear laterals with a thumbless grip, I believe this also helped me out with my grip.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by Tank82 View Post
    Question: are you using lifting straps for anything else, such as pull-ups, pull downs, seated rows, shrugs, etc.? If so you might want to ditch them. All those exercises can help aid in making your grip stronger. You don't have to stop using them for good, just do as many sets as you can without them.

I also do my side laterals and rear laterals with a thumbless grip, I believe this also helped me out with my grip.
    Tanks brought up a great point. Ever since I didtched my lifting gloves, my grip strength improved greatly!
    Check out my Journal!

I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Quote Originally Posted by Jboy View Post
    anywhere, anytime.
    bahahahaha you got me laughing

nobody mentioned deadhangs from a pullup bar with your bodyweight in plates clipped to you.

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    nobody mentioned deadhangs from a pullup bar with your bodyweight in plates clipped to you.
    probably because no one thought of it. i know i didnt. :P
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    Or hanging from the pullup bar with one hand only, no weight added. You've got great grip strength if you can do that for more than a minute, course your bodyweight makes a difference...
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat