The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Beaver ******

Stress affects progress?

My work has me so stressed out the last couple of months I haven't been able to eat properly (I wake up, eat nothing until dinner, eat dinner, go to bed) I'm not getting enough calories in and only eating one meal. Bad, I know. Then, there's the lack of will power to go to the gym because all I think about is 'WTF am I going to be able to get done tonight to make tomorrow easier at work.'

That aside, if I just put the food in front of me, just forced myself to the gym (I like the gym, I've just put work first because that pays the bills) does actual stress cause anything to happen in the body that reduces your ability to either lose fat or gain muscle etc?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yes. Stress will cause a dramatic decrease in progress and lead to burning out if you don't adjust your lifting to match your stress level. It means less volume and maybe less frequency when progress begins to stall.

Don't must try to push through it, you will just get more and more burned out and take longer to recover.

Force yourself to eat better. Pack some meals ahead of time that are easy to eat. It can't be too hard to down a couple of PB&Js durring the day.

Reduce your training to the bare minimum. You'd be suprised how an ultra abreviated routine can be so effective especially in times of stress.

Mon.
    Squats
    Press

Thur.
    Bench
    Rows

Just my 2 cents.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

high stress = high cortisol production = muscle catabolism + a lot of other crappy things = bad
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I put work first too, if you have debts and otherthing things going on - the gym don't mean ****. Its easy for someone to come in and spout all sorts of crap about dedication and such, but if you have things looming that need to be taken care of - TAKE CARE OF THEM.

I'll lay this out, I've had a breakdown from stress. Not your sulk in the corner kind of thing, I had police called to the house to calm me down. I had alot of things going on, and I achieved nothing, ate nothing, didn't train, completely shut myself off for a LONG period of time after that happened. Stress is vile, disgusting thing.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavereater View Post
    My work has me so stressed out the last couple of months I haven't been able to eat properly (I wake up, eat nothing until dinner, eat dinner, go to bed) I'm not getting enough calories in and only eating one meal. Bad, I know. Then, there's the lack of will power to go to the gym because all I think about is 'WTF am I going to be able to get done tonight to make tomorrow easier at work.'

That aside, if I just put the food in front of me, just forced myself to the gym (I like the gym, I've just put work first because that pays the bills) does actual stress cause anything to happen in the body that reduces your ability to either lose fat or gain muscle etc?
    your life outside of the gym, affects your ability within the gym.

sounds like ur close to almost stage 3 adrenal fatigue. the first thing one needs to do is get diet in order, get a breakfast, get a snack, get a lunch, start by getting your diet on track, take some time away from the day to relax, just free your mind read, or just day dream for a while or take a power nap if possible, then start by getting more rest at home, stay away from the gym for a while, until you relax yourself after around a week or so, then get back in the gym to help get back on track

Exercise is stress on the body, and if you dont get yourself back into balance by good diet and mental relaxation and get yourself out of adrenal fatigue its not good to add unnecessary stress to the body.

along with other bad things such as excess cortisol release and such, adrenal fatigue can affect sleep cycles and the whole nine. get your diet back in order, good natural foods, rest and get away from a while practice some mental relaxation techniques, then get yourself back into the gym

youll feel alot better
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Airsofter & Paintballer
    Hmm maybe that's why I don't seem to progress very well. Then again my eating isn't as good as it could be.

Damn that makes two things that my stress causes. And both are pains in the ass. Oh make that three: stress causes more stress.