Thread: which order for these exercises?

which order for these exercises?

hey guys.. i just did rippetoes for 2 months, and after not being able to make consistent gains to my lifts, i have changed up my routine.. This was made for me by a friend's cousin who can deadlift 465x7 and squat 435x5.. He has been lifting for many years, so i considered him to be a reliable source. His bench is somewhere around 300.... I am training for soccer too so that is why there are so many leg exercises on Workout B. Oh, and also i hurt my quad which is the reason there aren't squats in the workout right now. When i squat down, even with minimal weight, i get a sharp pain in my left quad. Once i can squat, i will make the necessary changes.

Workout A

Bench Press 2x5-8 working sets
    Inclined DB Press 2x8-12
    Chins-2x5-8
    Military Press 2x5-8
    Rows 2x5-8
    Lateral Raises 2x8-12

Workout B

Deadlift 1x5-8
    Walking lunges with dumbbells 2x20
    Calf Raises 3x15
    Tricep Pushdowns 2x8-12///// Pullups?
    Alternate DB Curls 3x10--- my right bicep is 10x weaker than my left bicep, which is why i have these in here
    Dips 2x8-12
    Planks 2x failure

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Where will squat go when you include it?

i was thinking on Day B and pushing deadlift back to Day A-- although that might be a bit too many compounds for 1 day so i'd have to see.

How does that order look in terms of doing the exercises? Should i maybe switch chins and Incline DB Press? I am going for the first time today and can't wait to try it out.

Order looks alright. Typically heavy compounds go first which you pretty much have.

Is this three days/week or four?

its 3 days... this is pretty stupid and probably irrelevant but should i put chins ahead of inclined DB Press? I want to be able to grind out as many as i can, and don't want that far back behind anything.

also, you think i should do pullups instead of pushdowns? It's just something i thought might benefit me a bit more. Or would it be a bit much with the dips on the same day?

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    how can u do lunges pain free but not squats???
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post
    how can u do lunges pain free but not squats???
    I was thinking and about to post the same thing.

I'm calling b/s on this. If the pain is as severe as you're making it seem that you feel you need to leave out squats, it'd probably be logical to get it checked out before you decide to train again (at least your legs). Don't treat the symptoms, look for the cause of the problem and address it. To do anything else would be ignorant and could potentially put you in harm's way.
    Remember: whether you think you can or you can't, you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungNoble View Post
    I was thinking and about to post the same thing.

I'm calling b/s on this. If the pain is as severe as you're making it seem that you feel you need to leave out squats, it'd probably be logical to get it checked out before you decide to train again (at least your legs). Don't treat the symptoms, look for the cause of the problem and address it. To do anything else would be ignorant and could potentially put you in harm's way.
    believe me bro, i really thoroughly enjoy squatting. When i started SS, it was by far my favorite exercise, and also the one i progressed the fastest in. About a month in, i was at 185x5. I play soccer, and as i saw my quads growing i liked squatting even more. However, one day i went to the gym, did squats up to 185x5, and this was through the pain i felt in my knee (stupid idea).. I thought it was soreness. However, the next day and up until now, whenever i tried to squat i felt it in my quad. I have rested it for the past week without attempting to squat with a low weight on the bar, and BW squats barely hurt it now. I am going to see how i feel doing a set of 5 with 95 lbs next time and if it hurts the same way it did before, i am going to the doctor. Also, when i did lunges it never hurt like it did when i did squats. I did them as a replacement 2 times.

Quote Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
    believe me bro, i really thoroughly enjoy squatting. When i started SS, it was by far my favorite exercise, and also the one i progressed the fastest in. About a month in, i was at 185x5. I play soccer, and as i saw my quads growing i liked squatting even more. However, one day i went to the gym, did squats up to 185x5, and this was through the pain i felt in my knee (stupid idea).. I thought it was soreness. However, the next day and up until now, whenever i tried to squat i felt it in my quad. I have rested it for the past week without attempting to squat with a low weight on the bar, and BW squats barely hurt it now. I am going to see how i feel doing a set of 5 with 95 lbs next time and if it hurts the same way it did before, i am going to the doctor. Also, when i did lunges it never hurt like it did when i did squats. I did them as a replacement 2 times.
    Were you letting your knees buckle in on squats?

Quote Originally Posted by famous636 View Post
    Were you letting your knees buckle in on squats?
    what do you mean by "buckle"? The only 2 people who critiquted my squat were a trainer at the gym and a monster lifter at the gym. The trainer told me i was going too deep, and the massive guy at the gym told me that besides his friend he knows who goes ATG with 950, i am the best deep squatter he has ever seen (165 lbs and i am a beginner, was joking but i took it nicely).. so i thought that my form was pretty good. However, idk... i have seen videos about squatting and i think that my form is good. Since it's been about a month, i will start with a much lower weight and see how i feel if the 95 pounds i try goes well... and i really hope it does!

what do you mean by "buckle"? The only 2 people who critiquted my squat were a trainer at the gym and a monster lifter at the gym. The trainer told me i was going too deep, and the massive guy at the gym told me that besides his friend he knows who goes ATG with 950, i am the best deep squatter he has ever seen (165 lbs and i am a beginner, was joking but i took it nicely).. so i thought that my form was pretty good. However, idk... i have seen videos about squatting and i think that my form is good. Since it's been about a month, i will start with a much lower weight and see how i feel if the 95 pounds i try goes well... and i really hope it does!
    Buckle means one or both of your knees move inward or otherwise lose stability during the movement. It's common for beginners.

Any chance you can video your squat?

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    Buckle means one or both of your knees move inward or otherwise lose stability during the movement. It's common for beginners.

Any chance you can video your squat?
    Thanks for clearing that up.
    Last edited by Drew92; 07-18-2009 at 08:02 PM.

ahh i see. No my knees do not buckle as far as i am aware of.... i will ask someone to watch me next time who is experienced. Hopefully the powerlifter will be at the gym training his son so i can ask him To be honest, i really don't know if i can get a video of me squatting. I never see anything like that at the YMCA, and i would feel really weird. However, i will definietely be more careful on my form, and if i will see about the video.

What do you guys think of doing pullups instead of tricep pulldowns? I have never done them before, and want to start

ahh i see. No my knees do not buckle as far as i am aware of.... i will ask someone to watch me next time who is experienced. Hopefully the powerlifter will be at the gym training his son so i can ask him To be honest, i really don't know if i can get a video of me squatting. I never see anything like that at the YMCA, and i would feel really weird. However, i will definietely be more careful on my form, and if i will see about the video.

What do you guys think of doing pullups instead of tricep pulldowns? I have never done them before, and want to start
    Don't be shy about bringing a camera into the gym unless it's against your gym's policies. You can bring any basic digital camera that can record up to 3 minute videos and easily capture footage of your form by resting the camera on something.

You already have chins in your routine. Pull-ups are essentially the same thing just with a different grip. I don't see the relation between pull-ups, a superior upper back compound movement, and tri pulldown (pushdown) which is an isolation movement for tris.

i was under the impression that pullups worked back and triceps while chinups worked back and biceps... I know that pullups are an awesome compound movement, which is why i am wondering if you think adding them for tri pushdowns would be a bit much with deadlifts and dips

Pullups don't directly work the triceps. They are a back/bicep exercise, just like chinups.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

If you are able to squat next time with no pain, take a vid of yourself and post it. If it's a knee problem, there's a possibility it might be due to bad form (#1 reason why people get injured in weight lifting). If you do get it, visit your doctor ASAP. I'm talking THAT week--next day if possible. Don't keep putting it off b/c if it is actually something serious, you're risking getting yourself in a potentially serious situation.
    Remember: whether you think you can or you can't, you're right.

hey guys thanks for all of the help!! i appreciate it. Last time i was at the gym, i tried squatting 95x5 and i felt pretty much no pain I also went pretty far down, something i couldn't do when i first started squatting so this tells me i have gained flexibility from lifting (even though i haven't squat in a while). There was an extremely advanced lifter there who helped me with my form, and said that it was pretty darn good.. I mean, it was only 95x5, and i was hitting 185x5, so i will have to work my way back up.

Anyways, for putting squatting back in my routine, the person who helped me make the routine said to add deadlifts to my Day A so it would look something like this.. Does this look like a bit much on Day A or not? There are only 7 sets of the compound lifts (besides warmups of course) and 9 if you count chins. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Workout A

Deadlift 1x5-8
    Bench Press 2x5-8
    Inclined DB Press 2x8-12
    Chins-2x5-8
    Military Press 2x5-8
    Rows 2x5-8
    Lateral Raises 2x8-12

Workout B

Squat 2x5-8
    Walking lunges with dumbbells 2x20
    Calf Raises 3x15
    Tricep Pushdowns 2x8-12///// Pullups?
    Alternate DB Curls 3x10--- my right bicep is 10x weaker than my left bicep, which is why i have these in here
    Dips 2x8-12
    Planks 2x failure