The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Coaching help

Wannabebig Member

Coaching help

Hi,
    I am a novice PL and an elementary P.E. teacher. I have limited equipment and typically teach 60-80 kids at a time. My individual time with students is obviously limited. That being said, our school has had 5 state champions and 1 national champion in track and field since I have taught there. I am by no means an expert on T&F but I am a motivator and have awesome kids. I would like some advice and assistance exercises to increase performance in the following events/areas.
    1. Push ups (this is the movement most students have trouble with during fitness testing). We do lots but I am thinking there is a need for assistance exercises.
    2. Standing Long Jump.
    3. Sprint speed.
    4. Mile times
    5. Softball throw for distance
    6. Best workout for fat loss (most of my kids are in good shape but some just don't respond to training at all- eack student has 150 minutes a week of P.E.).

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Are you trying to improve performance in these six things for elementary age students? Is this for your PE class? Will this be for ALL of your (PE) students? 150 minutes/week = how many classes/sessions per week?
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Are you trying to improve performance in these six things for elementary age students? Is this for your PE class? Will this be for ALL of your (PE) students? 150 minutes/week = how many classes/sessions per week?
    Yes this would be for my elementary students in P.E.

The push ups, fat loss, and mile time would be for all students as it relates to their fitness test. All my students have P.E. 3 x week.

The SLJ, SBT, and sprinting would be for kids who participate on our track team that practices 5 x week b4 school for 20 minutes.

Sensei will probably have some good advice, elementary age kids is a tad out of my area of expertise

The pushups won't be hard, basically the kids will need to do variations of them, on their knees, sets of 5 then on their toes, sets of two maybe. Depends on how may the kid can do. 20min doesn't give you a ton of time so you may want to focus on one or two of your goals per day so you can keep it short.

When I coach in that large amount of kids, I divide them up into 3 or 4 groups and have specific tasks for each group to get done in the alloted time. Rotate the groups to hit each goal on whatever rotation you need them to be.

Sprints you can work on by having them do bleacher sprints and regular sprints of varying distances.

Mile times will come down by running a mile.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Travis,
    Organization is something that I have become good at over time. I am really looking for some new assistance exercises that might bridge the gap of some of the weaker areas of a push up or standing long jump. Some exercises that might improve stride length, power, throwing distance. Also, maybe some HIIT routines that don't require equipment. Any ideas?

schmitty199
    Maybe things are different where im from, but what the heck ever happened to basketball, dodgeball, flag football, kickball ect in p.e? It just seems a little ridiculous worrying about how many pushups an elementry kid can do and whether or not they can have an explosive broad jump.
    Height:5'10
    Weight: 203
    Bench-295
    Squat-515
    Hclean-305
    JOURNAL: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=schmittys

Wannabebig Member
    We still do basketball, dodgeball (modified), flag football, soccer, ect. Our county also requires the kids to take an anual fitness test for grades 4-6. With the obesity rates climbing I think it's a good move to have P.E. focus more on fitness. Push ups is what most struggle with. As for long jumps, softball throw, and sprinting, this involves the kids at my school who choose to do track. I just want to take them to a higher level. Hope that makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelew View Post
    Thanks Travis,
    Organization is something that I have become good at over time. I am really looking for some new assistance exercises that might bridge the gap of some of the weaker areas of a push up or standing long jump. Some exercises that might improve stride length, power, throwing distance. Also, maybe some HIIT routines that don't require equipment. Any ideas?
    I'd stay away from HIIT for kids this young.

At this age their joints and ligiments aren't quite developed enough to handle that kinda stuff.

I wouldn't over complicate this any more than it needs to be either. I'd just keep it simple and work on the basics and variations of the basics that they need to be good at. There really isn't any need for ascessory work. They don't have weak points like you or I, they are just plain weak.

I think it's great what you're doing. Dodgeball and the like made PE a joke. Kids play for hours and hours a day. they can manage 20 simple minutes of actual physical education instead of goof off time.

Heck, around here if you want to play football in middleschool, you're in the weight room with a broom stick learning how to squat LOL. Nothing wrong with starting them young so long as it's done right.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I'm afraid that my advice will not sound revolutionary by any stretch...

IMHO, I would try to actually have exercise time in your PE class - doesn't mean you smoke them - just doing SOME work each session... Doing planks will help your kids' push-ups, jumping games will help their long jumps, jogging, drills, and pace work will help their mile times and sprint speed, etc...

Working on mechanics was something I never received (nor have seen) in traditional PE classes - not saying you don't, but no one I know does - I never had a PE teacher give me technical pointers ONCE. If you can actually teach your kids to run, jump and throw properly, IMHO you'd be doing your kids a huge service.

I don't know how well you can differentiate instruction if you're working w. 60 kids at one time, but stations w. choices might be something to consider.

I'd like to hear what you come up with.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/