Thread: plateaus

Hybrid View

Female-anatomy professor Lonestrbeer's Avatar

plateaus

I'm starting to hit some serious plateaus in size...strength isnt as much of an issue for me at the moment. I've changed up my routine a couple of times over the last few months, but it doesn't seem to help. Can anyone recommend some unusual or hardcore routines made for breaking through these plateaus?
    "Tequila drives me out and beer just makes me fat, whiskey makes me nauscious, tell me who the hell needs that? If you're thinkin, bout drinkin, well the answer's crystal clear. It's the invisible intoxicant, it's called everclear."

Wannabebig Member
    If you want something different there are a group over on elite who tested out this routine:

Mon:
    SL Deadlifts 1 max set of 20.
    Overhead Press - 5 sets of 5
    Squats - 5 sets of 3

Wed:
    Barbell Rows - 5 sets of 5
    Bench Press - 5 sets of 5
    Deadlifts - 1 set of 20

Fri:
    Shrugs - 5 sets of 5
    Barbell Curls - 5 sets of 5
    Dips - 5 sets of 5
    Squats - 5 sets of 5 with weight from Monday

Every Monday try to go up 5lbs.

At first most people would look at this and call it over training, but it is an old school method that has been proven to work very well for short burst, 6-8 weeks. The guys you tested it on elite were all natural and made incredible gains in that time period. Try it out, it will be hard for the first couple of weeks, but you'll adapt, and you probably find you'll get an even bigger appetite aswell.

I modified it slightly to suit myself and am trying this right now:

Mon:
    SL Deadlifts - 2 sets of 10
    Incline DB Press - 4 sets of 5
    Smith Machine Bench Press - 2 sets of 5
    Squats - 5 sets of 5

Wed:
    Pullups - 5 sets of 5
    Overhead Press - 5 sets of 5
    Deadlifts - 1 set of 20

Fri:
    Shrugs - 5 sets of 5
    Dips - 5 sets of 5
    DB Row - 5 sets of 5
    Squats - 5 sets of 3 +4kg to Monday

If you've changed your routine twice over the past two months, then you haven't really given either of the routines a fair chance. You should stick with one for at least 3 months. I know that that's a long time to waste if it's not working for you, but how else will you know? I just finished a really tough 4 month routine that involved a 6 day on, 1 day off program. It included 2 days for each body part. 4 exercises for each body part, 4 sets each, 12 reps each. It takes a long time, and you'll be exhausted for the first couple of weeks, but I made some serious gains with it. Email me if you want the exact workout.

Chae - who on Elite is using that routine? I noticed no direct arm training - I would be interested in hearing more about their results!

Wannabebig Member
    It was Cornholio (great guy) who came up with the routine, having adapted it from an old training style used in the '50s.

Check out these threads: http://boards.elitefitness.com/forum...hreadid=131331
    http://boards.elitefitness.com/forum...ght=old+school

Female-anatomy professor Lonestrbeer's Avatar
    I've changed my routine (tweaked, not completely switched the damn thing up...I'm not an idiot) twice over the past FEW months, as in 4 or 5. Changes were minor (a small decrease in volume and I cut out one lift).
    "Tequila drives me out and beer just makes me fat, whiskey makes me nauscious, tell me who the hell needs that? If you're thinkin, bout drinkin, well the answer's crystal clear. It's the invisible intoxicant, it's called everclear."

Wannabebig Member
    Sounds like you could probably do with something quite different then, 4 or 5 months is a fairly long time to stick with what is essentialy the same routine (at least it would be for me). But if you've been making gains up till now then its all been good, but nows time for a big change, and old school comes highy recommened.
    Last edited by Chae; 04-22-2002 at 11:28 AM.