Page 1 of 56 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: STRONGMAN - Tom Mutaffis

STRONGMAN - Tom Mutaffis

I am going to start keeping a training journal here to help motivate me in training and give others an inside look at some of the work that I do to prepare for strongman contests.

So far this year I have qualified for North American Strongman Nationals (4) times, twice as a LW and twice as a HW - but competing at a LW bodyweight for all contests.

Statistics:
    Height: 5'8
    Weight: 215-225 lbs
    Years Training: 10 (Strongman since 2006)

Some PR's:
    Standing Overhead Press: 275 lbs x 9, 335 lbs 12" Log
    Deadlift: 685 lbs @ 208 lbs, 600 lbs x 5 RAW
    Squat: 385 lbs x 17, 575 lbs x 3 box squat, Front squat 475 lbs / 385 x 8
    Power Clean: 295 lbs x 6
    Box Jump: 54" / Standing Broad Jump: 9'6"

There are a good number of videos on Youtube:
    www.youtube.com/tmutafs & www.youtube.com/atlargenutrition

My diet and supplement regimen is constantly adjusted based on short term and long term goals. I eat primarily whole foods and use basic, proven supplements. All of my training is 100% drug free.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 06-16-2010 at 07:15 AM.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

SW Florida's Strongest Man III
    Competed down in Florida last weekend. This was a bit of a last minute trip and luckily I was able to stay with friends and ride with them to the contest. We had a bit of a hiccup on the way to Fort Myers from Fort Lauderdale (about a two hour drive) when the truck that we were driving had a mechanical failure. Luckily we were able to borrow another vehicle and showed up just as the rules meeting was taking place.

My bodyweight was only about 215 lbs and was not feeling very strong for this compeition. Decided to enter the HW class to have fun and make for a good challenge (HW competitors are generally ~ 300 lbs bodyweight). It was 99 degrees in the shade and there was a great crowd along with vendor tents and a sound system. The manager of the Bar / Restaurant said that there were a total of 500-600 people there that day and the crowd was definitely supportive.

Log Press - 250 lbs / Clean Once & Press For Reps
    I was hoping for at least 7 reps on this event coming in. I found a good groove and was able to knock out 9 reps on the first clean. Set down the log for about ten seconds then hit another two reps. I dropped the weight and the head judge told me I had eight seconds left, cleaned the log again and managed to grind out one last rep for a total of 12 reps. This was a big PR and I was pleased. Tied for 1st place.

Video: 250 lbs Log Clean & Press For Reps

Axle Deadlift - 525 lbs Axle / No straps, no suit, pause each rep
    Wasn't sure what to expect on this event since I always use straps. I knew that grip would be the factor and the bar had been re-taped a few times before I went. First rep broke the ground and I lost grip right away. Was able to regroup and hit 3 reps, then with 10 seconds left pulled one more and managed to hold on at the lockout. 4 reps total on this event which was good for 1st place.

Crucifix Hold - 28 lbs sledgehammers in each hand
    Really should have tried this at least once in training. I was not locked out properly and was using my biceps to support the weight. The judge was instructing me to keep my arms at 90 degrees - which I thought I had them parallel to the floor, but was disqualified at 20 seconds into the event. It was my mistake and this gave me last place on the event.

Stone Series - 300, 313, 335, 355, 365 to 54"
    My stone loading has been pretty good lately and I have loaded the 355 in training so I felt good about this event. Unfortunately I did not apply my tacky correctly and some of the stones were new, ended up only getting one stone! That is the first time since my first contest that I bombed out on the stones. Last place on the stones, but my performance from earlier in the day was enough to keep me in 2nd place overall in the HW. Also qualified for Nationals as a HW for the 2nd time this year.

Overall I am happy with the contest. Didn't do as well as I would have liked but I had fun and am healthy, which is all that matters.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 07-23-2009 at 01:57 PM.

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

damn that log pressing is siiiiiiiiiiiick dude

strong dude!

Finally, ive been waiting for you to start a journal. Beastly strong stuff dude!

Gym Training - 7/22 @ Lifestyle Fitness in Charlotte, NC

Was feeling pretty tired last night but really wanted to get back in the gym. Arrived there without any kind of real plan. Spoke with a couple of friends from Florida and decided to go for some deadlifts.

Bodyweight 217 lbs.

Warmup: Elliptical for 4 minutes @ level 2

Deadlift:
    135 lbs x 10, 225 lbs x 3, 315 lbs x 2
    405 lbs x 1, 495 lbs x 1 - Straps and belt.
    545 lbs x 7 - PR for reps. Had more in the tank on this one, took video.

Video: 545 lbs x 7 Deadlift

Strait Leg Deadlift:
    315 lbs x 3 - First time doing these in years, keeping it light.
    315 lbs x 2
    315 lbs x 1

Rope Crunches:
    50 lbs x 15

Getting late and my back was feeling pretty good so decided to call it a day.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 07-23-2009 at 01:58 PM.

Those were great deadlifts man, saw the video on facebook.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Your strong as hell!

Great stuff Tom! Thanks for starting this. I look forward to watching your progress.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    Strong deads Tom - what's next for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    Strong deads Tom - what's next for you?
    Thanks Ben.

In terms of contests I will be doing New Jersey's Strongest Man on 8/29 (already 20 LW's signed up), The Beast Of The East / Masters Nationals in South Carolina in September, and then Nationals in October. Might hit a USAPL RAW Push/Pull next month as well - just for fun.

Thursday 7/23

Did not really eat much throughout the day and was pretty busy at work. Still ended up going to the gym but didn't want to push it so that I could do some OHP this weekend with strongman implements. Bodyweight - 217 lbs.

Warmup: 10 minutes on Treadmill @ 3 mph

Incline Bench Press:
    255 lbs x 5
    285 lbs x 5

Triceps Pushdown:
    72.5 lbs x 10 x 3 sets

That was it for today, have my lunch packed for tomorrow - looking to get back to 220 lbs.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 07-25-2009 at 10:01 AM.

Saturday 7/25 - Morning

Did well on my diet yesterday and finished the day over 220 lbs, woke up this morning at 219.5 lbs. Looking to maintain a steady morning bodyweight of 220 lbs while increasing strength / speed and improving body composition. This gives me some room to gain since cutoff for LW strongman is 231.5 lbs.

Went for a bike ride this morning with my Girlfriend. We went to the gym which is about 2 1/2 miles each way with decent amount of terrain.

Bike Ride: 5 Miles, Street riding - hills.

Didn't really do anything at the gym. Going to traing strongman this afternoon, or might just a 20 rep squat in memory of Jesse Marunde passing (7/25/07).
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 07-25-2009 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Saturday 7/25 - Morning

Did well on my diet yesterday and finished the day over 220 lbs, woke up this morning at 219.5 lbs. Looking to maintain a steady morning bodyweight of 220 lbs while increasing strength / speed and improving body composition. This gives me some room to gain since cutoff for LW strongman is 231.5 lbs.

Went for a bike ride this morning with my Girlfriend. We went to the gym which is about 2 1/2 miles each way with decent amount of terrain.

Bike Ride: 5 Miles, Street riding - hills.

Didn't really do anything at the gym. Going to traing strongman this afternoon, or might just a 20 rep squat in memory of Jesse Marunde passing (7/25/07).
    Be sure and get video!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Saturday 7/25 - Afternoon

Am going to be doing two events training sessions tomorrow so decided to go to the gym today. I tried a new energy supplement and it didn't sit very well, but still wanted to hit some high rep squats. Bodyweight 219 lbs.

Squats:
    135 lbs x 10
    225 lbs x 5
    315 lbs x 3
    365 lbs x 1 - Add belt and APT knee sleeves, felt ok.
    405 lbs x 14 - This is a rep PR. On a better day I think I would have had a couple more. Took video.

18" Box Jump w/ Dumbells:
    50 lbs / hand x 2 - Just trying these out to see what they are all about. Might attempt a heavy one next week.

The gym was closing so I had to head home.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 07-25-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Very much looking forward to reading the training journal of a much stronger Tom!

Keep at it mate, 405x14 is sweet.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Trained today at SC Barbell down in Columbia, South Carolina. The Lake Norman guys were down there as well as veteran strongman Tom Kaufman. Everyone from NC wanted to do car deadlift and stones so I went along with them. Bodyweight around 220 lbs.

Car Deadlift:
    Honda Accord (3rd Hole) x 10 Reps - Too light, stopped there.
    Honda Accord (1st Hole) x 1 Rep - Still manageable. Saving my back/legs though - just testing the weight.

Atlas Stones:
    230 lbs to 66" x 2 reps - Trying to see if I could go strait from the lap... had to shoulder it instead.
    230 lbs to 66", 260 lbs carry & load to 54", 275 lbs carry & load to 54" - Wanted to try carrying the stones for nationals.

Took video of both events today, will post that later.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 07-27-2009 at 10:19 AM.

Wow those deads looked easy. What gym did you wind up joining? In Charlotte right? Where is the NJ strongest man being held?
    Last edited by cphafner; 07-26-2009 at 03:29 PM.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    Wow those deads looked easy. What gym did you wind up joining? In Charlotte right? Where is the NJ strongest man being held?
    I ended up joining Lifestyle Family Fitness in Charlotte. It is a nice, clean gym that is close to my house - but my no means a powerlifting or athlete gym. Just have to save my heavy training for the weekends.

New Jersey's Strongest Man is going to be in conjunction with a fitness expo down in Atlantic City. It would be a hike for you to come down, but should be a fun event.

Really looking strong tom.... Keep up the hard work mate.

Hell ya! I've been waiting for you to start a journal man. It's always interesting to read someone's journal that deadlifts cars as part of thier training.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Here is a video from Sunday:

Car Deadlift & Atlas Stones Training

Tuesday 7/28

Trained at Lifestyle Fitness in Charlotte. Arrived at the gym a little late and was feeling a bit tired.

Bodyweight is back up to 221 lbs.

Warmup: Elliptical for 3 1/2 minutes

Seated Military Press:
    I do these down to my collarbone and each rep to complete lockout, full range of motion.
    135 lbs x 7
    185 lbs x 3
    225 lbs x 2 - Final warmup set, felt pretty good.
    245 lbs x 3 - Had a little more in the tank on this one.
    195 lbs x 10 / 135 lbs x 7 - Very pleased here, was only shooting for 7 on the 195.

Complex / Giant Set:
    Did about 10 sets total of the following, no rest.
    - Rope Pushdown
    - Pec Deck
    - Chest Press
    - Free Motion Low Flyes
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 07-29-2009 at 08:07 AM.

Banned
    Looks like some honest hard work, Tom! Your journal is refreshing.

7/29/2009

Trained at Lifestyle Fitness in Charlotte. Ended up getting to the gym a little later than I would have liked tonight as well. Bodyweight steady at 221 lbs.

Warmed up with some walking and stretching. Haven't done any OLY lifts in a little while and wanted to start working them back in.

Hang Cleans:
    135 lbs x 10
    185 lbs x 5
    225 lbs x 3
    275 lbs x 7 - Good set, might have been able to push for a couple more.
    300 lbs x 3 - Transitions were shaky, shut it down.
    235 lbs x 5

The rest of the workout was done alternating between movements with little rest...

Timed Hold:
    235 lbs x 20 seconds
    225 lbs x 20 seconds

Hammer High Row / Hammer Underhand Row:
    70 lbs each side x 20 / 50 lbs each side x 10

Chins:
    BW x 5 x 3 sets

Back Hyper's:
    10 lbs x 15
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 07-29-2009 at 08:16 PM.

They're massive Hang Cleans TM, is that down to a full squat?
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    They're massive Hang Cleans TM, is that down to a full squat?
    Thanks Tom. They were all power cleans - caught them pretty high. My technique on the full clean is getting better though, just need a little more practice.