The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Squats and back ache after it

I have a question about squats guys. I started doing squats like a month ago. I never had a problem with it until recently. I had a good session of squats on Monday. I did 7 sets of 5 reps with A 45 plate and a 20 on each side. After I went home, I could feel pain in both of my groins. I had my girfriend give me a massage, and it helped. Wednesday approached (Yesterday) and it was squats day. My groin hurt a little from the Monday session, so I said, "who cares", and after my third set of squats, my groins were burning and in pain to the point were I couldn't bend right. Being stubborn (I know, I should know when to stop), I continued with the squats and by the 5th set, my whole lower back was in pain, felt it like PUMPED, and I couldn't really do anything after that feeling. It really, really hurt so I just threw myself on the floor, laying down for a few minutes and it helped. I got really scared to the point that I wanted to cry becuase of the pain, being scared, and all.

Any suggestion what could have happened? Did the groin pain have anything to do with it? I think it was BAD FORM...

Today I woke up with no back pain when standing, but when I try to bend to do thing around the office, it hurts and I can't get straight easily. I massaged the groin area yesterday again and it helped a lot. I can't feel it at the moment.

Should I stop squatting for the moment? Should I start wearing a belt when squatting? What causes the groin pain?

Thanks,

Erick
    Last edited by Ryumexicano; 07-23-2009 at 02:07 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

heading to 195
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryumexicano View Post
    I have a question about squats guys. I started doing squats like a month ago. I never had a problem with it until recently. I had a good session of squats on Monday. I did 7 sets of 5 reps with A 45 plate and a 20 on each side. After I went home, I could feel pain in both of my groins. I had my girfriend give me a massage, and it helped. Wednesday approached (Yesterday) and it was squats day. My groin hurt a little from the Monday session, so I said, "who cares", and after my third set of squats, my groins were burning and in pain to the point were I couldn't bend right. Being stubborn (I know, I should know when to stop), I continued with the squats and by the 5th set, my whole lower back was in pain, felt it like PUMPED, and I couldn't really do anything after that feeling. It really, really hurt so I just threw myself on the floor, laying down for a few minutes and it helped. I got really scared to the point that I wanted to cry becuase of the pain, being scared, and all.

Any suggestion what could have happened? Did the groin pain have anything to do with it? I think it was BAD FORM...

Today I woke up with no back pain when standing, but when I try to bend to do thing around the office, it hurts and I can't get straight easily. I massaged the groin area yesterday again and it helped a lot. I can't feel it at the moment.

Should I stop squatting for the moment? Should I start wearing a belt when squatting? What causes the groin pain?

Thanks,

Erick
    A few pieces of advice:

1) I'm not sure why you're squatting Monday and Wednesdays. I'd keep squat at once a week.

2) Not sure why you're doing 7 sets. I'd lower that number.

3) I don't know why you would have groin pain from squats, but maybe someone else can answer that.

4) If you're in genuine pain, pain where you want to go to the ground and cry, stop doing the exercise. Being stubborn with your body is stupid.

5) Sometimes my lower back is a little tight and sore after doing squats, but nothing that prevents me from continuing on.

6) You don't need the belt, unless the weight you're doing is really heavy for you. Some people will have differing opinions.

7) If you want us to judge your form, videotape yourself doing squats.

8) Don't continue doing squats if you continually are in pain from doing them. Go to a doctor and figure out the problem if you believe the weight isn't too heavy and your form is OK.
    Last edited by snow; 07-27-2009 at 06:39 PM.

If it gets you groin massages from your girlfriend I would keep doing them

But in all seriousness, you should probably stop when you get pain like that before it gets to a point where you have to lay down. I've been there before with deadlifts, sometimes its just hard to know when it has been enough. It sounds like you need to work on your form a little or possibley your flexibility. You could post a video on here for some of the big squatters to take a look at, or find a knowledgable lifter to help you out. What kind of stuff are you doing for warm-ups? My groin hurts too if I don't warm it up properly.

1. You can squat up to 3 times a week depending on what program you're doing. As long as you can recover in time to do your workouts, its fine.
    2. 7 sets seems like a high volume of sets, 5 sets of 5 is more common. Again, it depends on your split.
    3. Groin pain could be a lack of flexibility or like you mentioned, poor form. Try watching the SquatRx videos, I've found they help a lot.
    4. You should stop squatting until you feel comfortable doing it again. Don't push through it and end up with a bigger problem than what you have now.
    5. There is no need to wear a belt, you certainly can if you really want to but training raw will make you stronger in the long run.
    Currently: Sore

heading to 195
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    1. You can squat up to 3 times a week depending on what program you're doing. As long as you can recover in time to do your workouts, its fine.
    Would you mind showing me some examples?

Go to my blog at http://squatrx.blogspot.com/ and look along the right side of the screen - you will find links to "Squats and Lower Back Pain" (parts one and two).
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Thanks guys for all the advice!!

I found out what the problem was. It was very bad form. I did squats again and I had no problem with my back at all, just the normal tightness from the sets. I also lowered the reps to 5. THe groin pain was due to NOT warming up, not stretching enough.

What are some good warmn ups to get you going for the squatting?

I just stretch my thies, hams, gastrocnemius, and of course I wasn't stretching my abductors, that was the main problem with the groin pain. I could feel it a bit after the 5th set during the squatting, so I decided to stop there. I do 7 sets of 5 reps now, but this time I passed. I certainly don't want to get hurt, ALTHOUGH THE GROIN MASSAGE BY MY GIRL IS EXCELLENT :P I pretend the towel falls from my privates and I say, "whoops".

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    Quote Originally Posted by snow View Post
    Would you mind showing me some examples?

starting strength has the trainee perform squats three times a week. Many have seen gains from the program. The basic westside barbell template has a person squat twice (though one session is light, speed work).
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786