Thread: Eating to maximize gains?

Eating to maximize gains?

Hey guys. I've been thinking about something for a while and was wondering what you all thought about this idea...

Everyone knows that you have to eat in order to grow. Your body needs protein and carbs to power itself and to heal the mircrotrauma done to your muscles during lifting. However; it also seems inevitable that during all this eating you will end up with a caloric surplus which ends up turning into stored fat. Most people seem to eat a lot, lift a lot, and do lots of cardio. The idea being that when their body is recovering and repairing, the food is used to build muscle. Then, the cardio is done to burn off the excess calories and prevent fat gain.

Here's the big question: How do you maximize your lean muscle gains while minimizing your fat gains. If you lift Mon/Wed/Fri mornings it would stand to reason that you're going to be gaining most of your muscle after your workouts (Mon, Wed, Friday during the day) and during the nights on the days you worked out (Mon, Wed, Friday nights). Then, since your body will be mostly finished repairing itself, you should need less food on Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun and during those nights.

If the above assumption is true, you could theoretically gain more lean mass and less fat by taking in more calories/protein on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays (especially before bed) and less calories on Tues, Thurs, Sat, and Sun.

Instead of eating the same number of calories each day and going through "bulking" and "cutting" phases, perhaps cycling 500-1000 calories between "on" and "off" days. Do you guys think this would work? Has anyone ever tried this technique? I don't believe i've ever seen this mentioned before. It seems that most programs recommend finding your maintenence level, then adjusting in cycles to gain muscle or lose fat, but never adjusting daily.

What do you guys (and ladies, of course) think about this?

this is true, you might want to eat a bit fewer calories on your non-training days because you are not burning excessive calories during lifting. Although you still want to eat ENOUGH to recover because on your non-training days, your body is still recovering. Although in my opinion, it doesn't seem like the best idea to cycle calories daily. But, lets see what the others have to say.

it takes a while to realize what your body needs and wants, and how much gives excess, and how little makes you lose weight. i just eat to were when i get on the weigher i dont decrease in weight. once you find that out, eat more and watch it boost up

I would go with maybe more carbs to replenish glycogen on the workout days but apart from that keep things much the same

Wannabebig Member
    I am experimenting right now with a low cal/high cal diet alternating around WO days as well. I train wednesday through Friday and do cardio on Saturday and Monday. So, I eat high cals 1 meal before WO and than go back to eating low cals the 3rd meal after my last WO. This is my first week so I do not know how it is going to go, but I am just trying it out. Wortha try right.

Just so you understand better. I am 5'10" 165 and am trying to put on muscle, but trying to rid myself of that spare tire. I eat 1650cals Saturday morning to Wednesday evening(about 275cals a meal) and go higher cals on WO days with about 2700cals a day(450 a meal) I work out at 3am Wed-Fri nights so my 1st high cal meal is around 1am Wed night and my first lowcal meal is about 8 am Saturday morning
    Last edited by Bobarell; 04-26-2002 at 02:19 AM.