The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Does anyone follow the 5/3/1 bodybuilding template?

After getting bored with my current routine, I need a change. I decided to go with the 5/3/1, because I've heard nothing but good things about it.

I have the 3 days a week book, and there's a few different variations of it in there. Usually I'm pretty much only concerned with gaining strength, and in which case the "trimulative" variation would be the best for that (one main lift, and 2 assistances lifts per session). However, I have kinda been craving that pump from high volume/high rep work lately, but I still want to keep getting stronger, and the bodybuilding variation of the 5/3/1 seems like it would do just that.

Is there anyone here that did this variation of the 5/3/1? If so what are your thoughts? Too much extra, unnecessary crap in the program, or what?
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm sure that if it's a variation of the 5/3/1 then the program is solid. In the end it's what you want dude, if you want the extra volume for the pump then go for it. It's already based off of a program that's proven to work so all you need to do it put in the time and the effort.

If you've been doing the strength/powerlifting type training for a while and want to switch things up, go for it. You're advanced enough to know what works and doesn't. What really matters as I mentioned before is what you put into the program.

If you do decide to go with the 5/3/1 bodybuilding variation, I'd be interested in seeing your results, so keep us updated.
    Last edited by Cards; 07-27-2009 at 02:29 PM.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

I'm going to be using "some" 5/3/1 starting next week...

Monday
    Squat (5/3/1)
    Squat 1x20 (light)
    Sldl 2x8
    Bench 3x8
    Rows 3x8

Thursday
    Deadlift (5/3/1)
    Press 3x8
    Chinups 3xMax
    Situps 3x12
    Last edited by Off Road; 07-27-2009 at 03:08 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Ya, I was thinking about it, and I think mainly the 5/3/1 part just applies to the main 4 lifts. His bodybuilding template has a lot of crappy assistance exercises IMO (like leg extensions and all types of other machines), so I figure I'll just pick assistance exercises that use free weights, and go for it that way.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!