The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Week 6 Workout C: (day late b/c had an emergency yesterday)

Body Weight: 202 lbs.

Good Mornings: 135 lbs. 5x5 (still resisting running the weight up on these... want to make sure I have good form)
    Overhead Press: 110 lbs. 5x5
    Chinups: weighted 10 lbs. 3x6, 2x5
    Front Squats: 145 lbs. 5x5

Hand walkouts from feet: 3x10
    Bicycle kicks: 100 reps

This week is funky b/c I was supposed to workout yesterday instead of today, so my timing this week will be different.

Nice work as usual. Definately be careful with those good mornings though. That's one exercise where it definately pays to leave your ego at the door.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Nice WO man. Keep it trucking. Id really consider keeping back squats in your routine. There is nothing like them. For novice gains the back squat is essential... not necessary, nothing is necessary, but essential to a solid foundation.
    Sarvamangalam!

Thanks guys... I appreciate the encouragement. The main thing that stuck out yesterday is that the last time I OH pressed in SS was 115 3x5. However, I couldn't get the last rep on the last two sets, and it hurt my back something fierce. Yesterday I did 110 5x5, and, while I had to put in the effort, I can really feel the increase in strength on this lift. I'm looking forward to breaking that 115 level over the next two lifts with the extra two sets to boot.

@Brihead yes the GM's make me a little nervous. It is a good deadlift variant, but I would be open to suggestions on that exercise. I think it is a great lift but I worry about injury if my form is not right (I think it is, but then I'm not sure 100%). If you have any alternate exercise suggestions, I'd be open to hearing them.

@ZenMonkey I am actually revisiting trying to do the back squat. My main problem is being able to get low enough... my physical frame makes it difficult. Parallel for me literally means all the way down (I have a long torso), and front squats are easier in this regard. However, I am re-thinking it... my thought is to keep the front squat until I feel strong enough to try the back squat again. On the back squat, if I roll the weight back to where I can get low enough, it doesn't feel like I'm lifting hard enough.

With back squats my subconscious short-circuits me... I can do them fine until a certain weight and them I just can't seem to get my body to agree to go deep. Front squats are no problem in this regard.
    Last edited by ZenFitness; 08-26-2009 at 08:43 AM.

I know Rippetoe's words aren't gospel, but his statement on goodmornings are:

You should never be using a weight that is more then 35% of your max squat, and if your max squat isn't 275, then you shouldn't be doing them at all.

IMO, you'll be better off doing SLDL's or RDL's, and hyperextensions or glute-ham raises (if you have that equipment available).
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

This is a problem that if you do not fix now will crop up later and take valuable training time for you to have to start over. Start light and work on flexibility and you will do well.
    Sarvamangalam!

Hey brihead what is the difference between SLDL's and RDL's? They both look the same to me.

I do the hyperextensions in my Workout B.

I like those glute ham raises... I've never seen that exercise before. Do they work the same areas as hyperextensions? The hyperextension equipment I use is upright at a 45 degree angle, but my gym does have a lat machine that I could probably use for the glute ham raise. Maybe I could swap that out.
    Last edited by ZenFitness; 08-26-2009 at 10:31 AM.

SLDL's start on the ground just like a regular deadlift, only you don't use the leg drive like you do in a conventional deadlift. Romanian deadlifts (RDL's) never touch the ground. Do a search on both of them to see what they look like.

I don't know much about the glute ham raise, I only know of hyperextensions because that's all I have access to as well. But IMO, hyperextensions with a plate across your chest would be a good assistance exercise.

I'm not saying goodmornings aren't an EXCELLENT exercise, but I just think that they would benefit a much more advanced lifter more.

Week 7 Workout A:

Body Weight: 202 lbs.

I was a day late on my workout C (should have been Monday but did it Tuesday) and I worked out at 5 AM this morning (which is unusual). Man it is tough to run my deadlift day at the crack of dawn... no gas in the tank at that point except a banana and a protein shake. But I got through it.

Deadlift: 260 lbs. 5x5
    Pullups: 5x5 (probably try weighted next time)
    Dips: 35 lbs. weighted 5x5 (same weight as last time b/c I missed the last rep last time... nailed it this time)
    Front Squat: 150 lbs. 5x5

Planks: 3 sets of 1 minute
    Hanging leg raises: 1x30

The front squats were brutal with the combination of AM lifting, deadlifts, etc. After my third set I about said **** it for today but stuck it out and finished 5x5. Didn't think I had it in me (at least today), but I did.

I'm concerned about my deadlift form, so I am going to roll the weight back to 225 on the next workout.
    Last edited by ZenFitness; 08-27-2009 at 09:18 AM.

Week 7 Workout B:

Body Weight: 201 lbs.

I haven't slept well the past two nights (like 3 - 4 hours each night) and I think it affected my bench.

Bench: 180 lbs. 3x5, 1x4, 1x3
    Hyperextensions: 70 lbs. 5x6
    DB Row: 90 lbs. 5x5
    Bulgarian Squat: 65 lbs. 5x5 (forgot to move up to 70 lbs)

Pallof Press: 70 lbs. 3x10
    Leg Raises: 1x30
    Planks: 3 x 1 min

Didn't have time for HIIT or to set up the accentuated crunches so I did the planks at home.

Probably no workout C on Week 7... caught a stomach bug and was up all night vomiting.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...l-vs-sldl.html

Take care of yourself while sick man! Try to keep eating!
    Sarvamangalam!

hey man thanks for the article

Week 8 Workout A (one day early... couldn't wait since I missed C last week from being sick):

First workout back from being sick.

Body Weight: 200 lbs.

Deadlift: 225 lbs. 5x5 (rolled the weight back to focus on form, I may keep it here for a couple of weeks)
    Wide grip pullups: weighted 5 lbs. 5x5
    Dips: weighted 40 lbs. 3x5, 1x6, 1x7 (these felt great)
    Front Squats: 135 lbs. 1x5, 145 1x5, 155 1x3, 145 1x3 (I had to quit early due to having to run to the pharmacy (youngest daughter got bit by a bunch of ants so wifey called), so I'm counting some warmup sets here... after being sick my strength was tapped here too, so I will probably roll the weight back a bit and ramp back up).

Hand walkout from feet: 3x10
    Bicycle kicks: 1x100

I am going to keep front squats on workout A but do back squats on workout C (so that my deadlift 5x5 and back squat 5x5 are on separate days). I'm also going to roll the weight back on the front squats by a couple of weeks and ramp it back up.

Week 8 Workout B

Still weak after my illness and some insomnia (about 2 - 3 months of it)

Body weight: 199 lbs (ugh dropped too much for me while sick)

Bench: 180 x 2, 180 x 1 (spot last rep just a tap), 175 (spot tap last rep), 175 (spot tap fourth rep, full spot last rep)
    Hyperextensions: 75 lbs. 5x6
    DB Rows: 90 lbs. 5x5
    Bulgarian Squat: 70 lbs. 5x5

Accentuated Crunches: 60 lbs. 3x10
    Pallof Press: 70 lbs. 2x10, 60 lbs. 1x10
    Leg raises: 1x30

I may need to do a switch for the DB rows b/c the heaviest dumbbells my gym has is 90 lbs. I'm going to wave back on my bench to 170 next week and work back up. This 180 has been a wall thus far.

Week 8 Workout C:

Missing workout C last week really showed in my OH press. I banged out 110 5x5 last time, but this time 115 was a wall (like 180 on my bench). I swapped out RDL for good mornings, and I'm starting back on back squats. Back squats were definitely improved from working on the front squats so much.

RDL 205 5x5
    Press: 115 2x5, 115 1x3, 115 1x2, 95 1x5
    Chinup: 15 lbs. 4x5, 15 lbs. 1x6, unweighted 1x4
    Back Squat (getting back into it so taking it slow): 135 1x5, 145 3x5, 155 1x5

Hand walkouts from feet 3x10
    100 bicycle kicks
    Last edited by ZenFitness; 09-07-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Week 9 Workout A:

Great workout today, I really feel like my strength is 100% back

Deadlift: 225 lbs. 5x5 (keeping it here b/c I really want to nail the form)
    Pullups: 10 lbs. weighted 5x5
    Dips: 45 lbs. weighted 5x5
    Front Squats: 150 lbs. 5x5 (last time these were tough b/c of being sick... these were no sweat this time. Can't wait for 155 next week).

Planks 3x1 min

Good to see ya back at it man! Keep it up!

Thanks man!

Week 9 Workout B:

My neighbor is working out with me now... he is naturally huge so I'm just catching up to his getting started lol.

Body weight: 201 lbs.

Bench: 180 5x5 **** yeah, finally nailed it. Worked on my setup some and I pounded these out... of course sleep and illness recovery probably help
    Hyperextensions: 80 lbs.
    Row: 55 lbs. (switched to the incline bench rows)
    Bulgarian Squat: 75 lbs.

Hand walkouts from feet: 3 x 10

Didn't have time for the pallof press and accentuated crunches b/c of a niece's b-day party. To boot, my ribs are jacked up from doing yoga with the lady on a hard floor with no mat... I did a boat pose and rolled slightly to the side. They are tender to the touch, so I'm sure the oblique work would have not worked.

Week 9 Workout C:

Body weight: 201 lbs.

RDL: 205 lbs. 5x5 (still making sure I have the form down, will move the weight up next time)
    OH Press: 115 lbs. 5x5 (finally nailed 115 5x5)
    Chinups: Weighted 20 lbs. 5x5
    Back Squat: 155 lbs. 5x5

Planks: 3x1 minute
    Bicycle Kicks: 1x100

Great having a workout partner... he noticed that my back squat leg stance is really narrow. I spread it out more and voila, I can lift much better!

Week 10 Workout A:

Deadlift: 225 lbs. 5x5 (I'll go up next week)
    Pullups: 15 lbs. 5x5 weighted (felt like ****, will probably pull the weight back next week)
    Dips: 50 lbs. 5x5
    Front Squat: 155 lbs. 5x5 (bad form on the last few of the last two sets... will roll the weight back)

****ty workout tonight. Exhausted from three nights insomnia and feelin' it.

Week 10 Workout B:

Better sleep last night, think it really helped.

Bench: 185 lbs. 5x5 (changing my setup has made a HUGE difference! Couldn't get 180 a couple weeks back, now nailed 185).
    Hyperextensions: 85 lbs. 5x5 rolling back next week
    DB Incline Rows: 55 lbs. 5x5
    Bulgarian Split Squats: 80 lbs. 5x5 rolling back next week

Pallof Press: 70 lbs. 1x10, 2x8
    Leg Raises: 1x30
    Last edited by ZenFitness; 09-19-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Week 10 Workout C:

Great squats today, either I'm more flexible, my form is better, I'm getting stronger, or all three.

Body Weight: 203 lbs.

RDL: 210 lbs. 5x5
    OH Press: 120 lbs. 5x5 (probably rolling this back next week)
    Chinups: 25 lbs. 5x5 (rolling this back next week)
    Back Squat: 160 lbs. 5x5

Some misc. core stuff, 1x100 bicycle kicks. Running out of time for the abs/core, not sure how vital that is.

Week 11 Workout A:

Good workout. For some reason, pullups have become harder.

Body Weight: 203 lbs.

Deadlift: 230 lbs. 5x5
    Pullups: 5 lbs. weighted 5x5 (rolled back from 15 lbs. last week, not much difference!)
    Dips: 52.5 lbs. weighted 5x5
    Front Squat: 140 lbs. 5x5 (rolled this weight back, form much nicer this time)

Planks: 3 sets 1 min. each

Week 11 Workout B:

Travelling for the weekend... was forced to use a crappy hotel gym with only a smith machine and a few dumbbells. Never tried to bench on a smith machine so I have no idea what the real weight was.

I did get the Bulgarian Squats in @ what I think was 75 lbs (they had a funky bar for it).

Planks 3 sets for 1 min. each