Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench setup shirted

Banned

Bench setup shirted

I've been struggling on how to set up on the bench with my shirt on. I know my arch sucks, and I've been stretching over a foam roller every night, but that's going to take some time to improve, it *is* improving though ( probably doesn't look like it though, lol ). But, I don't know where to put my feet. People I lift with say to bring them in close, but since my knee is way higher than the bench, it just brings my butt off the bench. I'm lifting in the APF/AAPF if that matters, so I don't think my feet need to be completely flat on the floor, but I'm not really sure about that. Anyway, heres a video from yesterday. My meet is this weekend and my training this week is to only work on my bench setup in my shirt ( ie no lifting ). Any help will be appreciated.
    ( It looks like youtube is still processing the video, hopefully that will finish before anybody actually looks at it. )

Video
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 07-28-2009 at 11:00 AM.

The first thing I notice, is that you need to get your traps tucked under you tighter. Seems like you need to pull your shoulder blades in too and really try to get high up on your traps. Just my .02
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

I'd probably get rid of the foam roller right now. You're not going to have it at the meet.

I'd also probably not make any huge setup changes between now and the meet. You need to bench how you're used to. Even the smallest tweak can mess you up.

You still need to work on flexibility as well, when you try and arch over that piece of whatever it is, your butt is hovering slightly still.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    I'd probably get rid of the foam roller right now. You're not going to have it at the meet.
    Yeah, I usually don't use it when practicing my setup, but yesterday I did just so I could get an idea of how much I'm arching.

I'd also probably not make any huge setup changes between now and the meet. You need to bench how you're used to. Even the smallest tweak can mess you up.
    I guess more than anything, right now I'm trying to work on being consistent. I think in the past I haven't been all that consistent and it's affected me. But I agree, I won't make any huge changes before the meet.

You still need to work on flexibility as well, when you try and arch over that piece of whatever it is, your butt is hovering slightly still.
    Absolutely, I'm going to continue my flexibility work.

I think my butt is hovering though because my feet are too close to the bench, and since my knees are so much higher than the bench any tightness I try to have in my legs and glutes just raises my butt up. I don't know, maybe not. I wish I could bring my feet underneath me, but regulation benches are so short compared to my legs I'd probably only be able to position my feet so that the top of my feet are on the floor. I've seen at meets that it's legal to put boxes under your feet, I wish I could have the opposite effect and raise the bench.

Hello BTO, My name is Beverly McDaniel and I'm a WPC/APF ref.
    Having your heels off the floor is no problem.
    The rule is wherever the feet are placed when you get the "press" command, they remain in that position until you get the "rack" command.
    You are allowed to move them as you lower the bar if you need to. Once the "press" command is given though, keep them still until the head judge says "rack".
    Best of luck at your meet.

Are you doing the AWPC Worlds?
    Last edited by Beverly McD.; 07-28-2009 at 01:33 PM.

BTO, Beverly knows so listen to her. Also, as tall as you are you'll eventually need to widen your feet out (almost like a wide squatter) to be able to pull them back under your hips. If they are wide enough your butt CAN NOT come off the bench. That's going to take some time and flexibility work as your butt and shoulders will have to be crunched closer together. If you keep widening the feet out and crunching the butt and shoulders together (that's what gets you up on your traps) and are eventually able to get your feet under your hips (although wider); you will effectively have your knees angled down in the position you'll need to be in to maintain an arch. It will not be comfortable at all. But, as my 'OLD' buddy Ryano once stated on here; "if it don't hurt your doing it wrong".

As mentioned earlier, I wouldn't change much up right now. It's too close to this meet. Just get this one in and start working on the setup corrections for the next one. Good luck.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly McD. View Post
    The rule is wherever the feet are placed when you get the "press" command, they remain in that position until you get the "rack" command.
    You are allowed to move them as you lower the bar if you need to. Once the "press" command is given though, keep them still until the head judge says "rack".
    Best of luck at your meet.
    Thanks for the clairification on that.

Are you doing the AWPC Worlds?
    No, the APF/AAPF push pull meet in Brigham City, Utah.

Banned
    What if my feet are turned upside down? that is the top of my foot is on the floor. Would that be legal?

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Wow that's ripped fitness! I used to train there. I see Dave in the backround too.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    What if my feet are turned upside down? that is the top of my foot is on the floor. Would that be legal?
    Shouldn't be a problem BTO. I've never red-lighted that, have never seen it red lighted.

[
    2. The lifter must lie backward with shoulders and buttocks in contact with the flat
    bench surface. The lifter’s shoes or toes must be in solid contact with the platform or surface. The position of the head is optional.

That is the way the rule is written. It doesn't say the bottom of the toes, so in my opinion, the top of the toes is just fine.
    Double check at the meet, but, as I said, it shouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by Beverly McD.; 07-28-2009 at 02:48 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Wow that's ripped fitness! I used to train there. I see Dave in the backround too.
    Yup, that is correct.

Banned
    Shouldn't be a problem BTO. I've never red-lighted that, have never seen it red lighted.

[
    2. The lifter must lie backward with shoulders and buttocks in contact with the flat
    bench surface. The lifter’s shoes or toes must be in solid contact with the platform or surface. The position of the head is optional.

That is the way the rule is written. It doesn't say the bottom of the toes, so in my opinion, the top of the toes is just fine.
    Double check at the meet, but, as I said, it shouldn't be a problem.
    OK, thanks. ( I'm not going to do that this meet, but could see maybe in the future this working for me. )

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    That's a cool gym to train at. Except that big dude that screams every rep of every set he does. Good luck with your meet. Maybe I'll see you at one this year.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Banned
    how do you get any leg drive off of that?

Have you thought about spreading your feet out wide?
    Last edited by Reko; 07-28-2009 at 07:08 PM.

Good luck BTO - I will be excited to see how you do and to see your video. I really like what Detard said about the traps but since I have never worn a bench shirt I have no idea how that changes things. Have a good week 7 do your thing this weekend.

Beverly - I think that is really cool that you are on here and helping people with their questions.
    Sponsered by
    Flirty Girl Fitness
    Tony Little's Gazelle
    Ab Lounger
    Yoga Booty Ballet
    Herbal Diet Pills

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    Probably couldn't, but I can't with my setup now either ( since it raises my butt off the bench when I try ). At least that way I could arch a lot more and reduce my ROM.

Yeah, I wish I could but my hips just don't go that way. I've been stretching them for a long long time and it just doesn't happen.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fulldaddy View Post
    Good luck BTO - I will be excited to see how you do and to see your video. I really like what Detard said about the traps but since I have never worn a bench shirt I have no idea how that changes things. Have a good week 7 do your thing this weekend.
    Thanks man. Based on my last heavy bench day, I'm feeling positive going into the meet. Time will tell if I accomplish what I want to or not though. If not this meet, it'll happen ( ie benching 405+ ).

Beverly - I think that is really cool that you are on here and helping people with their questions.
    I agree, I wouldn't have even known where to look to find that information. Thanks Beverly.

+1

You're going to have to spread your legs out wide to get leg drive, bottom line

Turning your feet upside down???
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

One thing I noticed in this and your other videos is that your bench is always set with the bar racked WAY too low and you really need to set it higher and pull the bar out with your lats-your shoulders most likely are coming out and you can maintain tightness better like this and keep you ROM shorter.I remember you said your training partners aren't near as tall as you but go ahead and take the time to adjust the rack in between your sets.Beverly-how are you and Mike doing?I haven't seen you all since one of Tom McCollough's last meets in Houston where you were the head judge while I was deadlifting.
    "Headed down the highway, sign has three inverted 9's"

Seeking sponsorship through ResMed

Hey Matt!
    We're sweltering in this summer heat lol. How's your training going? Sure hate Tom bowed out. Putting on meets is a ton of hard work though, and finding spotter/loaders gets tougher every time you put one on. Those poor guys have the toughest job at a meet.
    Tiny Meeker is putting on his first full meet in August, a small one I think. Mike and I will be judging. Any chance we'll see you there?

Glad to help. Need somebody to give direction?.... find a woman!lolol

Probably couldn't, but I can't with my setup now either ( since it raises my butt off the bench when I try ). At least that way I could arch a lot more and reduce my ROM.

Yeah, I wish I could but my hips just don't go that way. I've been stretching them for a long long time and it just doesn't happen.
    BTO,
    To help keep your butt down, try benching on your toes, driving your heels down hard. The heels shouldn't actually touch the floor. Drive them down as if you are trying to force them to the floor. This will give you some leg drive, and also help keep your hips down.
    It takes practice, andyou'll have to think about it every rep.

I agree with Matt.
    Raise the rack, slide down on the bench(away from the rack), so that your arms are fully extended when you take the bar out.
    Have your spotter (use more than one if they're not strong enough) gently set the weight in your hand. Don't take the brunt of the weight until your arms are directly over the chest. Taking it earlier will flatten your upper back. Once you lose position, it's impossible to get it back when you're under load.

If I'm butting in too much, say so. Not a problem and I certainly won't be offended.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdunkin View Post
    One thing I noticed in this and your other videos is that your bench is always set with the bar racked WAY too low and you really need to set it higher and pull the bar out with your lats-your shoulders most likely are coming out and you can maintain tightness better like this and keep you ROM shorter.I remember you said your training partners aren't near as tall as you but go ahead and take the time to adjust the rack in between your sets.
    Yeah, I've mentioned raising the rack for me but they've said they'd rather do the 3-man lift off with the rack lower. So, that's what I've become used to. If its going to make a difference I'll insist we raise it, and I'm sure they'll be fine with that. I do know though that with the rack all the way up, it's still too short for me.

Banned
    BTO,
    If I'm butting in too much, say so. Not a problem and I certainly won't be offended.
    No you aren't butting in. I'm new to this and like advice. I'm a little confused by the benching up on my toes though. That's going to make my knees even higher up than they are. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Banned
    Turning your feet upside down???
    To be able to get my feet underneath me so it's easier to arch. I could probably almost get my knees on the ground while on the bench if I tried, and thus my feet would be with their tops down. If that makes any sense.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 07-29-2009 at 10:51 AM.