The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Prednisone & USAPL

Not sure which forum to put this in so I'll put it here..

So I finally went to my sports medicine doc to figure out what's up with my hip. He told me it was bursitis (sp?) from squatting which is pretty common amongst squatters. I told him about how it started after ME box squats and he said that its probably I favored the side a little coupled with not ever having box squatted that heavy and caused an issue.

So he gave me Prednisone. Problem is, my competition is tested, random, but tested nonetheless.. Even though prednisone is not a performance enhancer, will it cause me to fail?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

There should be a list of all the banned substances off their website. Or find an untested fed
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    There should be a list of all the banned substances off their website. Or find an untested fed
    If I find an untested fed, my numbers won't even be competitive, lol..

I looked this morning for about a 1/2 hour and couldn't find anything, but I'll scrounge the website again for banned substances.. thanks for the input..

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake View Post
    If I find an untested fed, my numbers won't even be competitive, lol..

I looked this morning for about a 1/2 hour and couldn't find anything, but I'll scrounge the website again for banned substances.. thanks for the input..
    Ya, sorry dude. I know those lists can be huge. Maybe contact a meet director and see what they have to say.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    If the list is in text you can hit [Ctrl] [F] and do a text search - this will save you the time of having to read through a huge lift.

Contacting the Meet Director would also be a good idea; I know that USAPL is one of the more strict tested federations.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Prednisone should be fine. I was on it for tendonitis before a tested meet. I got tested and passed just fine. Also it really has nothing to do with testosterone, it is a corticosteroid, which is completely different.

Hmm.. well I found their banned substances list..

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.usantidoping.org/files/active/athletes/2008%20wallet%20card.pdf
    CLASSES OF SUBSTANCES PROHIBITED IN-COMPETITION ONLY
    Stimulants (including D- and L-isomers where relevent): Adderall, adrenalin, adrafinil, amphetamine, benzphetamine, bromantan, cocaine, Concerta, Daytrana, Dexedrine, ephedra, ephedrine, Focalin, heptaminol, isometheptene, Ma Huang (herbal ephedrine), MDMA, methylamphetamine (and all isomers), methylphenidate, modafinil, norpseudoephedrine, pemoline, Ritalin, selegiline, and related substances. Systemic epinephrine (EpiPen) is prohibited in-competition - Emergency use requires an Emergency TUE following treatment
    Narcotics: Buprenorphine, dextromoramide, diamorphine (heroin), Fentanyl and derivatives, hydromorphone, meperidine, methadone, morphine, oxycodone, oxymorphone, pentazocine - All other narcotics permitted Cannabinoids: Hashish, marijuana (THC)
    Glucocorticosteroids: Systemic use is prohibited when administered orally, rectally, or by intravenous or intramuscular injection. Topical preparations for skin, ophthalmic (eye), otic (ear), nasal, buccal cavity (mouth), and iontophoresis or phonophoresis are permitted. Local injections, epidural injections and inhalation of corticosteroids in-competition require an Abbreviated TUE be submitted to the IF or USADA, as appropriate
    it says that a glucocorticosteroid is prohibited for incompetition only and as far as I can tell, prednisone is in fact a glucocorticosteroid.. my prescription is a 6 day prescription that would end sunday and my comp is saturday..

looks like I'll be pre-loading a ****load of ibuprofin and squatting anyways.. then starting my prednisone sunday..
    Last edited by JSully; 07-28-2009 at 10:35 AM.

It's an anti-inflammatory, and an immuno-suppressant. It's bad stuff actually, and I'm surprised a doc was so quick to prescribe it for something like bursitis. It's usually prescribed after other medications have failed. It may cause you to pack on a bunch of water weight too. Make sure you taper off of it exactly as prescribed. Bad things will happen if you stop it at a dosage above 2.5-5mg daily. Usually it's tapered 5mg increments per week until you're at 10mg daily, then at 2.5mg increments per week till your done. Really, be careful with this stuff.......take a calcium supplement while you're on it, and get a bone density scan done if you're on it for more than 6 months.

edit....I just saw you posted it's a 6-day prescription. It must be a Med-Pak which is probably methylprednisolone. That should be out of your system in a week or two, and it probably won't do a whole helluva lot for your imflammation.
    Last edited by SDS; 07-28-2009 at 02:39 PM.

You can submit a TUE......and hope they pass it.
    6'0"--198# USAPL / IPF powerlifter
    ~~~ RAW Nationals July 15-17, 2010 in CO ~~~~

RAW Squat: 556
    RAW Bench: 390
    RAW Deadlift: 601

Dr. Dudley-Robey DrDudley-Robey's Avatar
    A medrol dose-pack works very well on this type of injury. The recovery rate is much faster than with NSAIDS which works well for athletes.
    Edward G. Dudley-Robey, M.D.
    www.DoctorBench.com