The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wannabebig New Member

meal timing & product question

Does this plan make sense for the spikes referenced in the article?

6:30 AM eggs/results & ets
    10:00 AM turkey sandwich and broccoli
    2:00 PM maximus
    6:00 PM opticen PW & PWO
    Workouts are typically 6:30-8:00 timeframe
    9:00 PM 2 chicken breasts black and green beans
    10:30 PM nitrean and ets

I would either combine the first two meals, or switch the RESULTS to the 2nd.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member
    OK I'll move the Results to meal 2 and add in some oatmeal for meal 1.

Thanks for the help & great article!

You are welcome. I would not add the oats, just move the RESULTS.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by cadzilla33 View Post
    OK I'll move the Results to meal 2 and add in some oatmeal for meal 1.

Thanks for the help & great article!
    Chris only wants you to have 4 meals a day with carbs. No more than 4 insulin spikes a day. That's why he's saying no Results or Oats for that first meal. I have been following his advice on this and feel great.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Righto Vincent! Thanks for your thoughts.

Quick question Chris, if I'm really hungry between meals for some reason can I fire down some nuts like cashews or almonds? Just fat and protein and should not effect insulin, correct?

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Not to a significant degree, no. With that said, if you want to lose the body fat you will need to watch the total cals.

Thanks for the great article. I have never been one to watch insulin spikes or carb cycle but I am interested in both. I have a question if you will.
    I am 6 foot 1 and currently weigh 210 and I have a pretty high metabolism.

I know everyone is different but I was wondering if there was a general guideline as to what is considered a high/moderate/low range of insulin spike inducing carb intake. For example, 40-60g = moderate 60-80g = high

Wannabebig Member
    Chris,

How would you change this for someone like me who trains first thing in the morning (4:30 am) ?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bfoley View Post
    Chris,

How would you change this for someone like me who trains first thing in the morning (4:30 am) ?

Brian
    If you are training with weights first thing in the morning I would think you'd have a pre workout meal, a post workout meal, and then two more meals throughout the day tops. Unless you wanted to add other meals in that are just protein and fat.

I have been following Chris' plan and seeing great results. It's so much easier to plan 3-4 meals a day instead of the usual 6-8. Yesterday I only ate 3 meals, it was so liberating.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    If you are training with weights first thing in the morning I would think you'd have a pre workout meal, a post workout meal, and then two more meals throughout the day tops. Unless you wanted to add other meals in that are just protein and fat.

I have been following Chris' plan and seeing great results. It's so much easier to plan 3-4 meals a day instead of the usual 6-8. Yesterday I only ate 3 meals, it was so liberating.

I'm 210 lbs so I need to get approximately 4,800 calories a day. I'm finding it tough to think of a way I'm gonna get 1,200 calories per a meal while keeping the carb within the range of 80 grams. That's the amount he used for the example but that person was only 170lbs. Can I get more at 210?

Wannabebig Member

I normally wake up, have abut 20g of whey protein, then head for the gym. After I get back I have breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by crshbrn View Post
    I'm 210 lbs so I need to get approximately 4,800 calories a day. I'm finding it tough to think of a way I'm gonna get 1,200 calories per a meal while keeping the carb within the range of 80 grams. That's the amount he used for the example but that person was only 170lbs. Can I get more at 210?
    What is your macro breakdown for the 4800?

Quote Originally Posted by bfoley View Post
    I normally wake up, have abut 20g of whey protein, then head for the gym. After I get back I have breakfast.
    If the whey is in water then that does not really count as one of your 3-4 meals. From my understanding the whey in water will not really spike your insulin.

Thanks for the great article. I have never been one to watch insulin spikes or carb cycle but I am interested in both. I have a question if you will.
    I am 6 foot 1 and currently weigh 210 and I have a pretty high metabolism.

I know everyone is different but I was wondering if there was a general guideline as to what is considered a high/moderate/low range of insulin spike inducing carb intake. For example, 40-60g = moderate 60-80g = high

Good question. I have not studied that aspect in detail. What I CAN say is that one need not be quite so specific with this program. The idea is to consume carbs within the confines of specific timing (number of carb containing meals) and total intake in the 30% of caloric intake range. Beyond that, the exact number of grams consumed at a given time is not overly important so long as you consume enough to stimulate a decent insulin release and I would define that as 20g+ (20g being the very minimum).

Right, but 30% of 4,800 is 1,440. That should give you plenty of room for the calories in each meal. You can always add an extra meal, just be sure it will do little for insulin release.

I got away from the 3-4 meals a day for a few weeks and I felt like crap. I got convinced by a friend that taking in more frequent protein feedings would be optimal. I'm so pissed I listened. Thanks again for the article Chris. This program is going to be one of my keys to a pr.

Yeah, frequent feedings are the common wisdom, but it just isn't backed science in healthy adults. You're welcome Vincent!

Back on the program for the past 10 days and I feel great. I have dropped 2 lbs in that time which is perfect. I wish you had come out with this article ten years ago, it would have made my life a lot easier. This is no longer a diet for me, it is a lifestyle.

Wannabebig Member
    nice article, will try to follow what he says.

Fat contents grossly overestimated I think:

from your article:
    Broccoli (cooked – 2cups)
    181 calories - 10g fat, 19g carb, 11g prot

Green beans (string – cooked – 2 cups)
    166 calories - 9g fat, 21g carbs, 5g prot

Black beans (cooked – 1 cup)
    293 calories - 12g fat, 34g carbs, 13g prot

Did you state somewhere in your article that you're adding oil/butter to these carbs, but I didn't see it? I have each of these foods in my kitchen right now. All of them list 0g of fat per serving.

Quote Originally Posted by dirty-c View Post
    from your article:
    Broccoli (cooked – 2cups)
    181 calories - 10g fat, 19g carb, 11g prot

Green beans (string – cooked – 2 cups)
    166 calories - 9g fat, 21g carbs, 5g prot

Black beans (cooked – 1 cup)
    293 calories - 12g fat, 34g carbs, 13g prot

Did you state somewhere in your article that you're adding oil/butter to these carbs, but I didn't see it? I have each of these foods in my kitchen right now. All of them list 0g of fat per serving.
    You'll forgive my lack of memory, but I think I got that from Fitday.com. The broccolli and and green beans do look odd.

Back on the program for the past 10 days and I feel great. I have dropped 2 lbs in that time which is perfect. I wish you had come out with this article ten years ago, it would have made my life a lot easier. This is no longer a diet for me, it is a lifestyle.
    This sounds great. I'll definitely be trying it!

Thanks for the article, Chris.
    'Wir wollen frei sein, wie die Väter waren, eher den Tod, als in der Knechtschaft leben."
    "We shall be free, just as our fathers were, and rather die, than live in slavery."

Folks, after multiple search attempts I have come up with nothing.

There were two studies posted on the forums at some point: one study on hydrolyzed whey protein in which it actually did not yield very positive results. The second study was one in which numeric suggestions were made regarding PWO nutrition and how much protein + carbohydrates to consume PWO. these were the results if I recall correctly.

0.8-1.0 g/kg of a 50/50 blend of dextrose and maltodextrin
    0.4-0.6 g/kg of hydrolyzed whey protein or a blend of this and a whey isolate (a minimum of 50% hydrolyzed whey)
    in advance, any help is much appreciated!
    Remember: whether you think you can or you can't, you're right.