Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long do you bulk?

How long do you bulk?

I am really working super hard at the gym. I have been working hard for more than a month, after an 8 month break, and my family and friends have seen a difference in my body. My friends say, "Damn, you are putting some muscle." My family on the other side, along with girlfriend, say, "Damn, you are getting fat".... I am on this bulking phase and I really want to keep going and later drop the weight (Fat). This is very discouraging, especially when it comes from people you really appreciate. Any suggestions or opinions or stories with similar issues? I really want to continue with the bulking and get bigger. How long should a person bulk? How do you know when to stop? I just want a better looking, thick body. Any help, words of encouragement?

Thanks
    Last edited by Ryumexicano; 07-29-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Like others will probably tell you, Bulk until you personally are uncomfortable with the extra fat gain that comes with a bulk. Dont let what your G/F or friends affect what you think about yourself man. I say keep at it.

yeah my family say similair things, as I use to be superskinny and now I am getting bigger they think I am just getting fat, which i know isnt the case, so it doesnt bother me and I have banned the word man boobs from being used in my house.

the way i am doing my bulk is I have set myself a weight goal and as long as my body fat % stays below a set figure i am happy.

I've been bulking for about 10 years
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    so how long do you cut?
    stats:Bench: 285 goal: 305
    squat: 390 goal: 420
    dead: 405 goal: 445
    weight and height: 230, 6'2 age:18
    “No strength within, no respect without.”
    "Strength is not your physical capacity, its your indomitable will." http://freddy56.mybrute.com

Quote Originally Posted by backseatwitme13 View Post
    so how long do you cut?
    What's a cut?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

yeah man...I hadn't seen my dad for about 6 months...in that time I put on 30 lbs. First thing he says to me is "you're getting fat". I was like wtf? My sisters and brother kept commenting on how jacked I was getting. I think parents concentrate on your face so much, that when you do gain some weight, it shows in your face, and they just assume it's fat.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Keep going man, they say that now but once you cut and have some good definition they'll understand.
    Currently: Sore

Do a slow, clean bulk if you're concerned with gaining weight. For me personally, gaining muscle without gaining fat at the expense of slower progress on my lifts is worth it. It's all up to the individual, of course.

Starting all over again :(
    your just going to have to get used to looking like a fat guy.

I honestly cant get used to it

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    I bulk for the fall, winter, spring and usually cut starting the begging of summer. Right now I'm slowly bulking though cause I'm tinkering with doing a comp.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    Keep going man, they say that now but once you cut and have some good definition they'll understand.
    That's exactly what I tell my girlfriend and my parents and brothers. They of course have no idea about bulking, or cutting but I can't help to feel bad when they say it, not because they don't know, but because I can't find a way to let them know that it's good to eat if I want to have muscles.

I am feeling better now that I have read that some of you had similar issues. My dad said, "HEy, you are getting a huge face". That really got me at the moment. My girlfriend said, "You are getting a big stomach. Instead of losing weight at the gym, you seem to be getting opposite results." I said, "You know, I want to have muscles and I have to eat a lot. I will cut later and the muscles I get, will show." After that, I stopped.... she wasn't getting sh....hahahaha My mom also mentioned, "YOu are getting fat, stop drinking that protein thing you drink every day. That is making you fat."

Yeah, it's pretty damn frustrating, but I will continue bulking. I am really liking what I am getting and if that means getting a bigger stomach, it's ok. I can later drop that weight. I just don't want my family to think that I am just eating like a pig and not taking care of myself. I have never been "fat", so it hurts me emotionally when they use the word, "Fat". PRetty much every one tells me I am gaining weight, so it's crazy. I don't know how to deal with my people.

I am loving the amount of strength I am getting and it's been only a month and 2 weeks. I have worked hard, so hard. Today I woke up with the, "I am fat" voice in my head and can't get it out of it. I also was thinking to just drop the lifting and do straight cardio every day until I lose around 20 lbs, but of course I don't want that, I want big muscles and with cardio, I know I can lose weight but my strength too

Thanks for sharing guys and for the kind words.
    Last edited by Ryumexicano; 07-29-2009 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    yeah man...I hadn't seen my dad for about 6 months...in that time I put on 30 lbs. First thing he says to me is "you're getting fat". I was like wtf? My sisters and brother kept commenting on how jacked I was getting. I think parents concentrate on your face so much, that when you do gain some weight, it shows in your face, and they just assume it's fat.
    For me as long as my family doesn't say s...t I don't care, but when my girlfriend and family say thing, it gets to me. I don't want to stop bulking.

Ryumexicano -

I have gone through what you are and it is quite a dilemma. On one side of the coin you want to be massive and strong, continuing to break PR's in the gym. On the other side of things you want to look good and want people to recognize you for all of the hard work that you put in.

What is your current heigh / bodyweight?

How do your clothes fit? As long as you are growing proportionally then your shirts should still fight tightly in the sleeves and you should not be building a ton of fat in your midsection. Pictures are also a good way to gauge how you look. I have seen myself in photos and immediately dropped the calories for a little while.

If you do decide to 'cut' then I would not drop bodyweight. In most cases you will lose hard earned strength and muscle then end up wanting to bulk back up again anyway. I would try to maintain your bodyweight while improving body composition. You can do this by adding in some cardio, cutting carbs after a certain time of day, or simply cleaning up your diet a little bit.

Remember that a guy who is 190 lbs and 8% bodyfat will look a lot bigger than a guy who is 200 lbs and 14% bodyfat (even though their lean mass is almost exactly the same). With that said a lot of times you have to get up to 200 lbs @ 14% in order to eventually diet down to 190 lbs @ 8%.

Hope this helps.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Banned
    What's a cut?

LOL. Kind of what I was thinking.

To answer the OP's question. I've been bulking for the better part of the last year. I don't see any reason to change anything right now. Thankfully my wife likes my added beefy muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Ryumexicano -

I have gone through what you are and it is quite a dilemma. On one side of the coin you want to be massive and strong, continuing to break PR's in the gym. On the other side of things you want to look good and want people to recognize you for all of the hard work that you put in.

What is your current heigh / bodyweight?

How do your clothes fit? As long as you are growing proportionally then your shirts should still fight tightly in the sleeves and you should not be building a ton of fat in your midsection. Pictures are also a good way to gauge how you look. I have seen myself in photos and immediately dropped the calories for a little while.

If you do decide to 'cut' then I would not drop bodyweight. In most cases you will lose hard earned strength and muscle then end up wanting to bulk back up again anyway. I would try to maintain your bodyweight while improving body composition. You can do this by adding in some cardio, cutting carbs after a certain time of day, or simply cleaning up your diet a little bit.

Remember that a guy who is 190 lbs and 8% bodyfat will look a lot bigger than a guy who is 200 lbs and 14% bodyfat (even though their lean mass is almost exactly the same). With that said a lot of times you have to get up to 200 lbs @ 14% in order to eventually diet down to 190 lbs @ 8%.

Hope this helps.

For me, I know when I get a little fat because my clothes doesn't fit that well. I have gained weight because I have noticed on my jeans they fit tighter on the wait area, but my shirts fit tighter and biceps, chest, and shoulders stick a little, so I like that feeling too

Once I felt "fat" and started running every day for three months and doing circuit training at school in the mornings. I lost a lot of weight, around 20 lbs. I was super strict with diet. I know I can lose the weight but I just don't want to get "bigger" and then do so much cardio and diet that everything goes to the trash. I am not way muscular, but I want to and the little muscles that are developing are giving me my motiviation to continue, but like you say, family on the other side don't support me. I don't expect them to support me much because they don't undestand much about lifting, plus I ways like to stay in shape, but not getting "Fat" as they say.

I will post some pictures tonight so you guys can see them. Hopefully you guys recommend something.

I am 5'7
    180 lbs
    36 Waist (hate the waist area, stomach as a whole)

I work out Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, OFf, Friday, OFF, OFF

Is protein supposed to make me constipated? I have had that problem with protein all the time.

On a Note: I usually see myself in the mirror and I say, "Damn, I am looking better and stronger." I see myself and don't look that bad, but I sometimes look bloated like hell!! Is that normal? Usually when I wake up, I wake up looking very thin. I am sure this is all mental. My support system (family) is failing me right now and that's the biggest problem

Last edited by Ryumexicano; 07-29-2009 at 04:08 PM.

LuNa
    I feel bloated as well most of the time except for mornings. Mornings are when i feel good on a bulk, the rest of the day i feel a little bloated and full . Actually when my mom say me on my bulk, she asked if i lost weight because my face looked smaller. I think that is because everything else was a bit bigger. You should try and keep the end goal in mind. You might gain a bit of fat now, but in the end when you drop the bit of fat you have, you will be really proud and get nothing else than positive remarks. Weightlifting and dietting is as much psychological as it is physiological.

I will continue with the bulk and just stick with my eating and my hard working. I really don't want to give up my hard training. I will see what happens in a few months. I will try to ignore when they say something frustrating

Thanks to every one for their positive responses. I really appreciate your time.

Always bulk, but do it responsibly. try to do about 20 mins of cardio a day (even if that is walking at a fast pace) and dont eat alot of sugar at night and try to eat alot of good foods. Lift heavy and rest hard and you will continue to grow. I have never tried to cut down, but affectively changing my eating habits has a direct affect on my waist line.
    I'm 5'10 270lbs.

Some people will see big, others see fat, and others see muscle.
    And don't lift for girls. Some like skinny, some fat, some buffed, etc...
    Stop lifting for what other people think of you. Lift for yourself alone.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Don't worry about what other people tell you dude, I know it's hard at times especially when it's nice to have the people you love encourage you, but some people don’t understand. My girlfriend tells me I look great while my mom tells me I look fat and neither of them understand why I want to put on more weight.

If you're really concerned about your weight, track your maintenance calories for a week then just add a couple hundred. This way you'll put on weight but you're limiting how much you put on to a few pounds ever few months.

What’s really important in the end is if you're happy.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Your guys are right! I should lift for myself. As long as I am happy, I will continue to Bulk, then I will try to do something about the stomach fat and everything should be fine. I really like weight lifting and being "big" is something I want to work hard for and also, on the other end, I want to be healthy. I will add cardio to my routine and just keep an eye on the diet. Honestly, today I feel better and not with that stupid voice telling me, "You are fat." The thing was that every one told me I was getting "fat", not big, "Fat" on the same day :S and It got to me.

Thanks every one for the kind words

I know it's crazy!! We used to see this guy at the gym, my friend and I, and he looked damn "big", and by big I meant muscular. I could see he had a belly but he was damn strong and big, while my friend, new to weight lifting, said, "Damn, look at that fat dude." Most people that are muscular look "fat", but when you take a look closer, damnnnn, "Scary people."

Wannabebig Member
    Yea i just did a bulk and gained 55 pounds.. from 150-205.. bodyfat went from 10% to 20%.. im cutting right now back to 10% and hopefully ill be 180 pounds like the caliper says im supposed to be at 10% (at around 14% right now).. im never doing a big bulk again and allowing my bodyfat to get over 15%.. going clean this time around when i start bulking again and only 200 above maintenance.. not worth being fat and having to cut for extended periods of time..
    Last edited by Pav; 07-30-2009 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Yea i just did a bulk and gained 55 pounds.. from 150-205.. bodyfat went from 10% to 20%.. im cutting right now back to 10% and hopefully ill be 180 pounds like the caliper says im supposed to be at 10% (at around 14% right now).. im never doing a big bulk again and allowing my bodyfat to get over 15%.. going clean this time around when i start bulking again and only 200 above maintenance.. not worth being fat and having to cut for extended periods of time..
    Damn!! 55 pounds sounds like a lot of weight to me and to get rid of the fat should be damn hard.

Is it harder to lose fat than gain the muscle? I lost weight, like 20 pounds 2 years ago, and it was very hard work, along with the super strict diet. Gaining muscle is super hard aswell :S

I guess all depends on how hard you work, your diet, when it comes to lose weight. I would say that you could drop 30 lbs pounds in 4 months.

Back to the subject, gaining 55 lbs in how much time?