The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

For you football players

During your two a days(practice),how many 40's will you run during a typical practice?

What about on Friday night games,what are your programs? What are your typical pre-game warm ups? Do you run 40's before the game? Full speed? How many?

Ryan Hale

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

obviously I'm not a football player, but a S&C coach

for 2/days you can plan on running 20 or so 40's the first day. the rest will be variations.

The longer the week goes on, the less the intensity gets and the lower the volume.

pregame is usually stretching, BW lunges and some passing drills. That's it. I like the boys to take it easy. There is no need to do some crazy stupid crap that some of the teams do. That only wears them out mentally and physically. I set these kids up to play balls out til the 4th quarter.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

During two a days our DBs and O skill guys are the only ones who really run 40s. Thats for routes and pass coverage. Our conditioning outside of plays and skill training are gassers. Line up on the side line sprint to other sideline and back repeat once more. Thats one.

weightlifting during off season is a different story though. We ran 5-7 40s after weightlifting twice a week.

Pre game was a little much i thought but our team won division so we must have done something right. We ran routes, plays at 50% just make sure we know assigments, and run 10s 20s and 40s but not many maybe 2-4 each. we also did dynamic stretching. It took about an hour.
    Last edited by slashkills; 07-21-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Banned
    I dont think we run like set 40 yard sprints. My school has a condition test.........competley ****ed!

3x300yard shuttles, im gonna DIE.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Our first day of two a days we ran 47 belly start 40's in full pads in hot ass weather. It was hell.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Our conditioning is mostly game situation stuff during team offense and team defense. We line up at the end of practice, but it's usually short if the kids worked hard during the practice. We run our two minute (spread) offense, live, at the end of most practices. That has proven very beneficial. We also run our team offense at a faster pace than we would in a game, allowing us to get more reps in. Again, that has proven more beneficial than what we had been doing for conditioning. When we do line up at the end, we don't have a set program. Typically, we run 10's or 20's. Very rarely, if the effort was low, we'll run gassers and if the kids are beat up, we'll run a relay as some easy conditioning. Still, the bulk of our conditioning comes from running everything like a game during practice.

Pre game we do dynamic stretching, individual time, linemen do some pulling, backs take some hand offs, QB's throw to receivers. Then we get together and run plays for a few minutes, subbing out every few plays. Our kids will have a sweat going, but that's it. We don't work them hard pre game, just enough to get them warmed up.

Banned
    my test is 24, 55 yrd dashes all hafta be under 9 secs for us big boys

Thanks for all the great feedback.After beeing involved in the weightroom the last 9 months,I will also be involved on the field this fall.What I have saw in the past with our team has really bothered me.On game nights they have these kids run 10-15 40's before a game.WTF??? You should not try to condition athletes on game day.

Ryan Hale

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hale View Post
    Thanks for all the great feedback.After beeing involved in the weightroom the last 9 months,I will also be involved on the field this fall.What I have saw in the past with our team has really bothered me.On game nights they have these kids run 10-15 40's before a game.WTF??? You should not try to condition athletes on game day.

Ryan Hale
    That a horrible pre game. There's no need to do much more than get a sweat pre game and even that should be just enough to be warmed up and loose. When I played, we would run quite a few sprints and I never understood the reasoning. I think coaches just get caught up in what they used to do, so they make someone else do it.

Habingus
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Our first day of two a days we ran 47 belly start 40's in full pads in hot ass weather. It was hell.
    We did 40, I feel for you.
    "I PLAY BY MY OWN RULES"

Habingus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hernandez View Post
    I dont think we run like set 40 yard sprints. My school has a condition test.........competley ****ed!

3x300yard shuttles, im gonna DIE.
    We had that test too, its the stupidest test ever. I never passed it and it really never affected how much I played. Think about it, they're going to put the guys out there who can play football. If your on the bubble and are looking to get some time then you should train for it. Every year after that test I fealt like I was going to die. Then we would practice.
    "I PLAY BY MY OWN RULES"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
    We had that test too, its the stupidest test ever. I never passed it and it really never affected how much I played. Think about it, they're going to put the guys out there who can play football. If your on the bubble and are looking to get some time then you should train for it. Every year after that test I fealt like I was going to die. Then we would practice.

Def not on the bubble. Im there best Olineman and one of there best Dlineman. But I still dont want to look like a slug out there. Even though I prob will.......

We split the conditioning based on the position.

I hated pregame as a football player. Lasted about 30 minutes, no 40's. Only about 1-2 minutes of intensity, mostly moderate movements.
    Joe Hashey, CSCS
    Site: http://www.synergy-athletics.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/jhashey
    Videos: http://www.youtube.com/jhashey

I love working out!

for my football we usually run 3 laps at the beginning of practise before streching, then we have to do suicides to the 30 at the end or we run traintracks up and down the field 5x where the whole team lines up behind eachother and one lays on the 5, next one runs over him and lays on the 10, next one the 15, then when no ones left in the line the last guy gets up runs over everyone and carrys on the tracks. then for pregame we run our lap strech, go through light footwork stuff, run through plays our whole pregame is never more then 20 mins tho with full equipment