Thread: Difference between olympic squat racks and other racks?

Difference between olympic squat racks and other racks?

I was wondering, whats the difference between an olympic squat rack used to train professional olympic lifters, and other racks like body solid, powertec, or the efs rack? I including a picture of the olympic squat rack, could you still bench in it? Im just wondering because in the pic the bar is on the outside, and I want to be safe because I have dropped the bar quite a few times. Also is this a better option then getting other racks? I like how its small, but Im not sure if its as good. This rack is going for pretty cheap in craigslist so Im just wondering, im kind of cheap.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    yea, you could still bench in that, if u had a bench.

That squat rack would be pretty much like competition. So it would be benifitial to have, but also, going heavy could get dangerous if you dont have spotters..... I should say GOOD spotters.

Yeah I was worried about that, I didn't see pins. It has holes though, would I be able to put pins in you think? Rather be safe then sorry. I dont have that good of a spotter, I have still dropped the bar on a squat a couple times, but luckly there was pins.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian999 View Post
    Yeah I was worried about that, I didn't see pins. It has holes though, would I be able to put pins in you think? Rather be safe then sorry. I dont have that good of a spotter, I have still dropped the bar on a squat a couple times, but luckly there was pins.
    You wont be able to put pins in that rack, cause your squatting on the outside. I mean, you could fabricate something, but I dont know how good of a welder you are.

I wouldnt even worry about, if you fail, just dump it behind you. Worst case scenario you **** a barbell up (assuming you dump it behind you)

Risk and Reward.... So Brian, DEAL or NO DEAL?

Wannabebig Member
    I train with a rack pretty similar to this one. The only exception being that the rack I use also has spotter arms that can be used as an extension of the rack. I have put 400 pounds down on those arms and didn't even scratch them. Of course, I have trained on how to dump the weight in case I need to when squatting. Plan an exit strategy with your workout and you won't regret it when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by jefflance1 View Post
    I train with a rack pretty similar to this one. The only exception being that the rack I use also has spotter arms that can be used as an extension of the rack. I have put 400 pounds down on those arms and didn't even scratch them. Of course, I have trained on how to dump the weight in case I need to when squatting. Plan an exit strategy with your workout and you won't regret it when the time comes.
    Excellent post.

I have gone to maximal weights without a safety rack, and you have to learn how to get yourself out of a pickle. There is a technique to safely dumping squats.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Excellent post.

I have gone to maximal weights without a safety rack, and you have to learn how to get yourself out of a pickle. There is a technique to safely dumping squats.
    Yes, its generally known as the "5 D's of Dodgball" or in this case 5 D's of Powerlifting.

Video
    Last edited by Jesse Hernandez; 07-31-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Well I reckon that this half rack would work about the same as any other half rack.
    Roll Tide.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hernandez View Post
    You wont be able to put pins in that rack, cause your squatting on the outside. I mean, you could fabricate something, but I dont know how good of a welder you are.

I wouldnt even worry about, if you fail, just dump it behind you. Worst case scenario you **** a barbell up (assuming you dump it behind you)

Risk and Reward.... So Brian, DEAL or NO DEAL?
    Thanks for the info jesse, but I think im gonna have to pass. It's cheap, but I dont know about not having pins especially since I wanna bench on it, and I dont have a reliable spotter. He trains a couple times a month. I could figure out a way to saftly drop the bar possibly but my space is super limited.

thanks again for the info though, saved me a trip to his place.
    Last edited by Brian999; 08-01-2009 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian999 View Post
    Thanks for the info jesse, but I think im gonna have to pass. It's cheap, but I dont know about not having pins especially since I wanna bench on it, and I dont have a reliable spotter. He trains a couple times a month. I could figure out a way to saftly drop the bar possibly but my space is super limited.

thanks again for the info though, saved me a trip to his place.
    You can buy two adjustable saw horses from a hardware store and put those to your sides. Should be pretty cheap.