The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Box Squats and Coxis

Question for all you seasoned veterans and lovers of the box squat like myself. During the past few weeks I have been unable to train due to some kind of injury to my coxis. I trust my rehab to my doctor in physical medicine (sorry, I don't know the term in english). Through xrays and other methods, she has come to the conclusion that I have injured the cartilege (sic?) or connective tissue in my coxis since xrays don't reveal any problems with the bone and the ligaments in my lower back seem ok. I also apparently have a longer than usual coxis. Yay, I have a tail!

Anyways, this is the first time I have suffered this kind of injury. The only new variable in my training or lifestyle has been the inclusion of box squats since around March. The injury surfaced around June and the diagnosis was done in July. I box squat to a series of boards about 18" long and as wide as an average key board.

I have not done any weight training per her recomendations since july. The pain goes away with meds and using one of those doughnut cushions.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to give all the possible relevant information. Has anyone ever suffered or heard of someone having similar problems due to box squatting. Is it possibly related to the width of the boards or some technical flaw I am not aware of? Am I some kind of weirdo with a long tail which simply is screwed over and cannot do this awesome exercise without pain?

Thanks in advance,
    Christian

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Sounds like you bruised your tailbone (coccyx). Probably dropping too hard/fast onto the box. You should ease onto the box under control. Looks like a foam pad is in your future.

Quote Originally Posted by dgunnermuro View Post
    Sounds like you bruised your tailbone (coccyx). Probably dropping too hard/fast onto the box. You should ease onto the box under control. Looks like a foam pad is in your future.
    I agree, if you do box squats again use a foam pad. Also, dont plop on the box. This is what probably caused you to get injured.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Wannabebig Member
    So basically my coccyx is screwed up forever? I'll never be able to box squat without the foam?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sobrinoc View Post
    So basically my coccyx is screwed up forever? I'll never be able to box squat without the foam?
    No way to know if your tailbone is going to prevent you from doing box squats. When it heals, try some light box squats and be really careful with the force that you sit on the box with. Don't free fall onto the box. Try a folded up towel or something padded. Most importantly, use some common sense. If it continually hurts to box sq. then do something else. More than a handful of lifters have become really good squatters without ever doing a box squat.

Might be worth using a wider box too, make sure it can support your entire butt easily.
    Current PR's 198 - 220
    Squat - 777 - 771.5
    Bench - 611.7 - 628.2
    Deadlift - 567 - 584
    Total 1929 - 1973