The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Help needed picking the first bench shirt

My training partner is about to buy his first bench shirt. He weights about 70kg with a best bench of 110kg. Since he is competing in the IPF I suggested that he goes with a Titan Fury (since he doesn't arch much). But for some reason he wants to go with Inzer. So my question is:

1) Which Inzer shirt would be best? He wants one that is capable of giving him ~30-40kg carryover (with the right training of course). From what I have read I was thinking along the line of Rage or Rage X but he seems to want the Phenom.

2) How durable are the single ply inzer shirts? He doesn't really have the fund to buy another shirt and the competition is in 3 months time. We will be training in the shirt every week leading up to the competition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Whatever shirt he gets I would say get one that is not too tight in the chest plate then get the arms taken in to be tight.
    You will find it easier to learn but still get plenty out of it.

Why is he dead-set on Inzer?Years ago I could see why,but not now with the single-ply gear Titan is putting out.If he is dead-set on Inzer and going single ply,I'd say the Rage-X and definitely NOT the single-ply Phenom as it will stretch out way too soon.You got to laugh at some of these guys who aren't even sponsored by a company but are so dedicated they'd rather give up pounds off their total than use another company's shirt or suit-that's definitely fine by me,though!
    "Headed down the highway, sign has three inverted 9's"

Seeking sponsorship through ResMed

TITAN SUPER KATANA

I used to wear a 1-ply rage-x that was off the shelf. It's not a bad shirt. I could get 100+ lbs out of it. I get close to 200 lbs from a super katana. The single-ply phenom mostly sucks. I say that as someone that loves the super duper phenom, but the SDP is a completely different shirt.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

The single ply Phenom will wear out after about one meet training cycle. It will give him excellent speed for that one meet though.

Rather I'd recommend the Rage single ply, stock right off the shelf. A really gangstered up shirt will be a real pain in the neck for him to learn for his first shirt.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Most single ply lifters that I have seen use Titan Super Katanas, so that would be my choice. I understand he wants Inzer, but I never hear anything good about there single ply gear compared to what I hear about Titan's. Just my 2cents!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Banned
    I started in the Rage. A nice shirt to start, make sure people can help you with it though.

Start w/ the Rage then Rage X... I started w/ those but now use Titan F6 & Katana.

Good luck
    RC

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks you for all the suggestions. Just to explain the situation a bit, there is a bit of 'personality clash' between him and the Titan distributor here so he would rather lose than to order anything off him. He is willing to order from the Titan website but from what I have heard, it takes a while for the gear to get through if we are not buying through the distributor (the fact that we are not in US makes it even worse).

Just a few more follow up questions:

1) What is the difference between Rage and Rage X (in terms of bar path, durability and performance)?

2) Have anyone actually tried ordering shirts off the Titan website? Is what I heard regarding the slow delivery time true?

3) For all those saying super katana, how difficult was it to learn? I know it is a bit better than the F6 or the Fury but I was a bit relutant to recommend that to him considering I have only ever used the F6.

For a first shirt, I would recommend an F6. I think the Katana line is to much for a beginner. If he doesn't have any arch, he needs to learn and develope one if he wants to be competitive. Geared lifting is just as much about technique as strength. I don't know where you are but you can go to Andersonpowerlifting.com and contact Ken. He can ship to you and you won't find a nicer and more knowledgable guy. If he really insists on Inzer, just have him compare the warranty of Inzer to Titan. That alone should change his mind.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Quote Originally Posted by K.H. View Post
    Thanks you for all the suggestions. Just to explain the situation a bit, there is a bit of 'personality clash' between him and the Titan distributor here so he would rather lose than to order anything off him. He is willing to order from the Titan website but from what I have heard, it takes a while for the gear to get through if we are not buying through the distributor (the fact that we are not in US makes it even worse).
    If that's the case, have him contact Ken Anderson. Ken is a very good guy and will really help your friend out.

However if he still wants to try out the Inzer shirts, the Rage and Rage X are excellent choices.

Just a few more follow up questions:

1) What is the difference between Rage and Rage X (in terms of bar path, durability and performance)?
    Don't be so concerned about bar path and durability between the two, it's more that the two shirts are built slightly different. The X has a bit stiffer construction so it will be harder to touch, but you'll get more out of it (provided you can touch as a beginner)

2) Have anyone actually tried ordering shirts off the Titan website? Is what I heard regarding the slow delivery time true?
    Yes, this is indeed true. It takes forever to get stuff when you order it off the website, hence why I recommend Ken

3) For all those saying super katana, how difficult was it to learn? I know it is a bit better than the F6 or the Fury but I was a bit relutant to recommend that to him considering I have only ever used the F6.
    The Katana is an advanced shirt, I would definitely not recommend it for a first shirt. You can't look at guys who are getting 200+lbs out of their Katanas and compare them to your friend because those guys have been in shirts for a very long time and have nailed down their technique. Your friend will need to spend time in a shirt that won't require his form be quite so spot on so he avoids getting frustrated.

No matter what shirt you get, you won't be hitting 200+ lbs on your first few weeks in it. (not full range at least)

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member

best single-ply shirt

I train with both an Inzer Rage X and a Titan Katana. Both shirts are constructed about the same. You won't wear out either shirt. I do my last heavy rep wearing a shirt during my Westside max effort bench day. Aside from that single rep, I train raw. I do the single rep on max effort bench to stay tuned to my single-play shirt.

By chance I've used my Titan Katana exclusively in meets for the past two years, and I've blown the doors off my bench. I'm switching to Titan's Super Katana, and I will try the Super Katana for the first time tomorrow.

Robert Crawford
    Last edited by Robert Crawford; 08-03-2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: another typo

Like mentioned. Hook him up with Ken and get him in Titan. I'm like Ryano. I think the F6 would be a better 1st shirt. Then graduate later to the Katana.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks everyone. I have told him to either get a Rage from Inzer or get in contact with Ken Anderson. Hopefully it will turn out well.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    the big guys are right.... Ken Anderson is a great guy to work with

and I'm partial to the F6 as it was my first shirt...... easy to touch, and easy to get good carryover

Wannabebig Member

shirts work different for different people

my first shirt was actually not even sized for me a friend had bought it but could not wear it so he gave it to me; its a titan f6. the most amazing shirt i have ever tried. tight as hell, yes, but that helped. mine was tight in the chest and arms but the back had been cut when my friend was convinced that he could fit in it. yet the chest is so narrow that it still pulls my arms really well it added 50 lbs out of it plus they are cheap shirts. but if your friend is still set on inzer, just remember that those inzers are for experienced lifters and if this is your friends first shirt then you better have some pretty experienced lifters there when he first tries it out. because the way they are built, if you don't keep the weight low on your chest and keep it over your lower chest as the bar comes up or the bar will fly back towards his face and it will shoot back fast because all of the stretch in the shirt is under the armpits which allows you get more out of it because its more stable but as soon as it starts to come back towards your head then the shirt can no longer help so if he is lifting more than he can do raw then he's gonna be screwed
    Last edited by tabormcandrews; 08-14-2009 at 04:48 PM.
    5'9" 132lbs
    bench-225
    sqaut-255
    deadlift-350

Quote Originally Posted by tabormcandrews View Post
    my first shirt was actually not even sized for me ... its a titan f6. the most amazing shirt i have ever tried.

...it added 50 lbs out of it plus they are cheap shirts.

...those inzers are for experienced lifters
    Come on man, your first shirt was the most amazing shirt you ever tried? 50lbs plus they're cheap? Inzers are for experienced lifters? I'd say any shirt is for "experienced lifters" and you should have experienced spotters anytime you bench with a shirt. Tight shirt or not.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

APT Apex ftw...but that's me
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 775/575/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/415/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Wannabebig Member
    all true ryano, but just my opinion and i just haven't been able to find another shirt that worked well for since that f6... strange, i know people tell me thats weird all of the time but i am just kind of picky.
    5'9" 132lbs
    bench-225
    sqaut-255
    deadlift-350

Look at the record books for signle ply federations closed back shirts. Titan dominates the compitition. If he is a newer lifter have him start with a Titan Fury and when he becomes more exsperienced move on to the F6 or Katana.

i like my apt apex single ply the best out of: 1)fury 2)super katana. the apex actually seems more versatile(for me anyhow)