The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Different training methods

I had a lengthy conversation with one of the old guys I work out with today. He was telling me about how he use to train and one thing he mentioned was that he would always wears his squat suit for moderate-heavy lifting (straps down for moderate stuff) and didn't when he went really light (around 225) for high rep work. I always had the mentality that training without equipment is preferred. This guy knows his stuff though... he couldn't have won the nationals 7 times without some knowledge of the sport of powerlifting. Are there many people who always train with a suit?
    Last edited by BFGUITAR; 08-03-2009 at 07:02 PM.
    Brad08 has some insight for people who don't understand... anything.
    This is so ****ing ******ed it's almost beyond belief. So, if you eat 3k, you will automatically gain 3k worth of fat or muscle? Incredible. And here I am eating all this food, yet maintaining my weight. Fascinating.

You're one of those pussies that counts his almonds I bet.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

except for deload weeks, I'm almost always in some sort of gear for my main exercises.

for squats, as soon as the warmups are over the briefs are on. on speed day i have even been throwing the suit on with straps down.

Quote Originally Posted by isaku900 View Post
    except for deload weeks, I'm almost always in some sort of gear for my main exercises.
    Same here...Gear, except for deload week. BP and DL are raw but I'm still in briefs on deload week!

Banned
    I squat in my suit a lot because it saves my hips.

I always wear a loose pair of briefs even going light, but my job requires alot of utility pole climbing so I try to keep a little support.

Thanks everyone! I learned a lot from this thread. I didn't realize how significant gear was!
    Brad08 has some insight for people who don't understand... anything.
    This is so ****ing ******ed it's almost beyond belief. So, if you eat 3k, you will automatically gain 3k worth of fat or muscle? Incredible. And here I am eating all this food, yet maintaining my weight. Fascinating.

You're one of those pussies that counts his almonds I bet.

If you want to get the most out of your gear, then wear it often. I just did 4-5 weeks raw and it beat the crap out of me compared to training in gear. It was good, but I can't imagine doing that long-term.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

I think the answer varies quite a bit depending on the lifter and the gear the lifter uses. I'm a single ply lifter who benches in a Rage X and squats in a TRX. I typically always do box squats in some type of light briefs (inzer power pants) but >12 weeks out from a meet, I'll squat RAW. Bench work, I generally don't even look at my shirt until I'm 7 or so weeks out. Instead in a 12 week training cycle, i spend the first 3-4 weeks trying to really push my RAW board and floor press (which is a full range bench for my short thick torso) up, then shirt up and push shirted board work, then go to full range the last 2-3 weeks before the meet. I may throw in one or two full range sets after board work in the weeks prior. I may not touch my squat suit until 4 or 5 weeks prior to the meet. I've tried the premeet suiting up (especially for box squats) and what I end up doing is getting frustrated and stagnating.

In my mind, to be a truely good lifter, you need to build that RAW base and keep building it.
    Last edited by JK1; 08-04-2009 at 11:28 AM.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.