Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Routine with very limited equipment!!

Routine with very limited equipment!!

Hey guys, I just found out that I cannot get a squat rack because a) my parents wont let me, b) it wont fit in my basement. So I got a barbell, a dumbell, and a bench. Is there any good routines, maybe similar to SS that I can do to gain mass? I really liked the routine of SS but I heard that it revolves around the squat, and i do not have a squat rack so its kind of hard..I really need someone to help me out with maybe some different excercises every other day, similar to SS. I just don't want to go down to my basmeent and just do whatever excercise pops into my head, I need a routine. I know it's sad, but it'd be great if someone could literally tell me exactly how many sets/reps of what excercise to do on what day. I'm really new to lifting. I also got a chin up bar
    Last edited by marleau; 08-04-2009 at 08:51 PM.

deadlift, bench press, overhead press, rows, lunges, chin ups, you could perhaps also do front squats until you figure out a way to do squats. But i would suggest something more along the lines of BGB since SS is pretty much based around squatting.

thanks a lot bro, so i guess BGB doesnt have squatting in it?

I already gave you one...and it was a good one...time proven and built some supermen along the way...but I guess you don't believe in it...sooo...This is harder than doing squats and can be just as effective for building strength and size...but be prepared to eat a lot!!!

Day 1 (sets x reps):
    Deadlift 3x5 (pyramid)
    Deadlift 1x20 ((65%) pause at the top/lockout)
    Bench Press 3x5
    Curls 3x5

Day 2 (sets x reps):
    Step ups 3x15
    Standing Barbell Overhead Press 3x5
    Chinups 3xMax
    Situps 3x12
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

during the summer i usually lift in my garage because i dont like driving 30 miles every other day to get to the gym....bummer but on the bright side theres plenty of exercises you can do with just a bench, bar and weight....... you're still able to squat just not as much, start doing front load squats and they will still give you a decent amount of hormones to release from it..... some of the main excercises i do with just the bar are also some of the main compound lifts you should be doing to gain lots of mass.......for example you can deadlift,power clean, military press over head, standing and bent over rows, bench press and curls......your just not thinking abroad here and as long as you train hard and give your all then your going to make progress easily

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I already gave you one...and it was a good one...time proven and built some supermen along the way...but I guess you don't believe in it...sooo...This is harder than doing squats and can be just as effective for building strength and size...but be prepared to eat a lot!!!

Day 1 (sets x reps):
    Deadlift 3x5 (pyramid)
    Bench Press 3x5
    Curls 3x5

Day 2 (sets x reps):
    Step ups 3x15
    Chinups 3xMax
    Situps 3x12
    I liked doing your other routine, just a lot of excercises in one day. I cannot curl, i literally cant lol. I can do all my other excercises at 80 pounds except curling....so is there an alternate for that, then this routine would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by marleau View Post
    I can do all my other excercises at 80 pounds except curling....
    So do the curls with less than 80 lbs...or just skip the curls. I wouldn't add anything else. Once you try it, you'll know why. I hope you have more than 80 lbs of weight...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I do have more then 80 pounds of weight, but not by much, i probably got like 150. for my birthday i will ask for a couple 35 pound plates. its a pain to keep taking weights on and off just for one excercise. theres no alternate? what about dips and pushups
    Last edited by marleau; 08-04-2009 at 09:35 PM.

Day 1 (sets x reps):
    Deadlift 3x5 (pyramid)
    Bench Press 3x5
    Curls 3x5

Day 2 (sets x reps):
    Step ups 3x15
    Chinups 3xMax
    Situps 3x12
    This is pretty badass. Where did you dig it up? If you don't mind me asking...
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

im going to do this, and sub in dips and pushups instead of curls. thanks a bunch man

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx View Post
    This is pretty badass. Where did you dig it up? If you don't mind me asking...
    The first day is Rader's Deadlift routine. The second day I made up to fill in the gaps and give a little break from the Deadlifts.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

im going to do this, and sub in dips and pushups instead of curls. thanks a bunch man

Dips and pushups are not a sub for curls. If you want to sub the curls, I'd use 1 Arm Dumbell Rows.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

okay, well i can curl with my dumbell at 30 pounds? Is that a decent substitube, maybe like 8 reps 3-4 sets?

okay, well i can curl with my dumbell at 30 pounds? Is that a decent substitube, maybe like 8 reps 3-4 sets?
    That would be fine.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Day 1 (sets x reps):
    Deadlift 3x5 (pyramid)
    Bench Press 3x5
    Curls 3x5

Day 2 (sets x reps):
    Step ups 3x15
    Chinups 3xMax
    Situps 3x12
    yeah i like the look of this. Off road, can you do this more than once in a week, eg like Day 1, Day 2, Day 1 sort of thing? like the SS ABA BAB method? or is it strictly a 2 day/week thing.

Quote Originally Posted by XMadmanX View Post
    yeah i like the look of this. Off road, can you do this more than once in a week, eg like Day 1, Day 2, Day 1 sort of thing? like the SS ABA BAB method? or is it strictly a 2 day/week thing.
    It could be done as a 3 day/week until things got too brutal. Then I'd cut it back to 2 day/week.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

It could be done as a 3 day/week until things got too brutal. Then I'd cut it back to 2 day/week.
    Also would it be too brutal if i replaced step ups with squats? or is the whole point of the routine to be a replacement for someone who doesn't have a cage?

the whole point of the routine to be a replacement for someone who doesn't have a cage?
    Exactly. The squats aren't included and I'd think it would be way too much to add them.The Deadlifts are absolutely brutal. My appetite went through the roof.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

thanks for the insight Off Road, i might give this routine a go when i get bored of BGB, the deadlifting looks 'fun' haha

the deadlifting looks 'fun' haha

They aren't
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Lol I am ready

Alright, so I did the first workout of the two and it was pretty good! I am just used to doing so many more excercises, but maybe I was over training then? I had like 9 excercises each day every other day and 2 sets of them! Maybe this is why this routine seems like its not enough work, but im sure it is and i am just not used to it. I only deadlifted 120 for the 3x5 then for the 1x2 i did 70 which was fine. I need more plates so i can dead more to get more results. I only benched 80, but it was still difficult for me, but i finished the 3x5 for them. Dumbell curls were great, pretty hard getting back into them but they are awesome. So I was meaning to ask, whats with the step ups for the day 2? Is day 2 more for like conditioning and not arms? Just need clarification. Thanks man.

Working it out, working it bamazav's Avatar
    Could he not do hack squats if he does not want to do front squats?

Hack Squats Video
    Last edited by bamazav; 08-05-2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: added link
    Working on getting stronger in body, mind and soul.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

. So I was meaning to ask, whats with the step ups for the day 2? Is day 2 more for like conditioning and not arms? Just need clarification. Thanks man.
    chin ups will do your biceps, overhead press will hit triceps so you will get your arm work in there amongst hitting other groups.

ps off road. i did that routine yesterday also, lets just say after the 20 rep deads i saw the light haha i needed to rest for about 10 mins before i benched
    Last edited by XMadmanX; 08-05-2009 at 04:51 PM.

Good for you XmadmanX...how's your appetite

Marleau...if the weight on the 20 reppers isn't enough, feel free to up the percentage. They should be kicking your butt and you should be out of breath by rep 10 or 12.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal