Thread: What about my routine?

Wannabebig Member

What about my routine?

Hey guys,

I've been lifting for about a month now and have a set routine I was hoping you coud evaluate. First thing you'll notice is no deadlifts. I lift by myself and until I can find someone who can coach me through it in person I don't want to risk hurting myself. As a military member, a back injury can be career ending so at this point its non-negotiable.

Workout A
    -Bench Press - 5x6-10
    -Curls - 5x6-10
    -Dumbbell Flys -5x6-10
    -Maybe Squats - 3x10

Workout B
    -Squat - 3x10 (I'm trying to get my form right before going to heavy)
    -Skull Crushers - 5x6-10
    -Bent over rows - 5x6-10
    -Overhead Press - 5x6-10

I try to eat as much as I can though I do want to stay relatively lean. I'm 6'1 and 190lbs with my goal to just get to 200-205lbs. I drink protien in the morning, after working out and right before bed. I drink about a gallon of water a day.

What do you think?
    Last edited by rvadog; 08-05-2009 at 10:56 AM.

Do some reading on this site...there are much better routines here.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    I've done reading here. The problem is lots of routines seem deadlift centric. I figured I built a solid routine that hits all the major muscle groups, includes two of the big three and stays simple. Where have I gone wrong?

Bench, curls, and flyes? Not a particularly effective workout.

Skull Crushers before Presses? Not very good planning.

Leaving out deadlifts? They are a basic/foundation exercise.

You need to keep reading...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    It would help if you read my post (why I'm not deadlifting) and actually answered my question. Whats the point of the board if you're going not going to help?

Why is Curls, bench and flys not effective? Why not work triceps before press (though that is not neccesarily the order I use)? I have read and thats why my routine isn't 15 different iso excerizes each day while working every day of the week and eating 1500 calories. Now I'm asking for specific help. If you don't want to give it, thats fine. Don't post.

3rd timer
    Quote Originally Posted by rvadog View Post
    It would help if you read my post (why I'm not deadlifting) and actually answered my question. Whats the point of the board if you're going not going to help?
    The point of the board is to help each other, but you'll get more help if you can take/make the time to read at least the stickies (there are tons of videos referenced that can show you how to deadlift). Try searching the forums for "deadlift" and "video".

Why is Curls, bench and flys not effective? Why not work triceps before press (though that is not neccesarily the order I use)? I have read and thats why my routine isn't 15 different iso excerizes each day while working every day of the week and eating 1500 calories. Now I'm asking for specific help. If you don't want to give it, thats fine. Don't post.
    Curls, flys and tricep extensions are isolation lifts and are best used to 'finish off' a muscle _after_ the bigger, more important compound lift has been done. If you do TEs before you bench, you'll tire your triceps and lower the intensity that you can bring to the more important bench movement.

Banned
    It would help if you read my post (why I'm not deadlifting) and actually answered my question.
    So your reason for not doing deads is fear of getting hurt. Do you have a previous injury? Having a strong core prevents injury in everything you do, and deadlifting is the way to a strong core. Deadlifts can be done with very little risk, IMHO, and their benefit FAR out weighs the risk.

Personally, I think it's strange that you're worried about getting hurt deadlifting, but you squat. IMHO, squatting is just as dangerous and technical, if not more so than deadlifting. With deadlifting if you aren't going to make the lift, you can just drop the weight. Dumping the weight squatting is much different.

Why is Curls, bench and flys not effective?
    Because curls and flys are isolation exercises, and most people will build muscle faster by focusing on complex exercises.

Now I'm asking for specific help. If you don't want to give it, thats fine. Don't post.
    I don't know what specific help you're looking for. It seems like you just want to hear what you want to hear, ie it's OK to not deadlift. Personally, my advice would be start deadlifting and get over your fear by sticking to light weight and working on form, just like you say you're doing with your squats. IMHO, even if your form isn't all that great, it would be exceedingly unlikely that you'd hurt yourself deadlifting light weight ( like 135 ).
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 08-05-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Banned
    You question was..

What do you think?
    Off Road DID tell you what he thought in his post. I interpret what he wrote as he thinks you should deadlift. You disagree, so you tell him not to post. LOL.

I guess I could just say, "that routine is awsome. Good luck to you." and be done with it.

But, you wanted advice and obviously don't have a lot of experience. I told you to read the forum because you'll learn a lot more that way. I could feed you a dozen different routines that are better than that one, but you wouldn't learn anything. So, I'd check the e-attitude and get to reading...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

OP is gonna have to explain why he will squat but not deadlift.

Stop making excuses and get to pulling. (and reading)
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    I appreciate the help. I mentioned why I don't deadlift. It has nothing to do with it being riskier than squating, it has to do with comfort level. I've squated before in sports workouts but I've never deadlifted. If I had someone to show me (in person) the proper form then I'd consider it. For most of you, if you hurt yourselves the worst case scenario is a medical bill and time off work. For me it is a medical discharge and then end of my career.

Does that you're not tearing apart the routine (other than the order) mean that its not terrible? Is there anything specifically you would add or change except for deads?

Your excuse is weak. Dont let you will tag along on that journey.

If you can squat you sure as hell can deadlift. If you cant deadlift because you are concerned about form then you probably shouldnt be squatting.

Go read the Starting Strength Sticky and the Texas Method Sticky.

Video
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 08-05-2009 at 05:15 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

deadlifts are my favourite excersize, i would do them everyday if i could. I have a hip injury from a car crash several years ago and like you i was worried about deadlifting but deadlifting has stregthened my core and its just a great excersize and its not hard to learn. If you do deadlifts you are less likely to hurt your back. BUT if you are determined not to dead lift you should probaly add Dips instead of flys and chin ups instead of curls.

Banned
    For most of you, if you hurt yourselves the worst case scenario is a medical bill and time off work. For me it is a medical discharge and then end of my career.
    Then you shouldn't squat either. For that matter, you probably shouldn't leave your house. Walking across the street can be quite dangerous.

Does that you're not tearing apart the routine (other than the order) mean that its not terrible? Is there anything specifically you would add or change except for deads?
    No, it doesn't mean it's not terrible. IMHO, there are no good routines that don't include deads. Deads ( and squats and some sort of pressing ) are the foundation of any good routine. So there's really nothing else to say about your routine, in my opinion.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 08-05-2009 at 08:58 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XMadmanX View Post
    deadlifting has stregthened my core (snip) and its not hard to learn. If you do deadlifts you are less likely to hurt your back.
    Exactly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Video
    See rvadog, even girls can deadlift without getting hurt. ( I love Ripptoes accent. )

Many of us are in the same boat. A lot of these guys work manual labor jobs. If they mess up our backs, they're out of a career too. Plus, I thought the military was supposed to make you "Army Tough"
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal