The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Leg extensions.

Leg extensions.

Are leg extensions and hamstring curls as bad for the knees as I hear? I finally got a bench that I can do these on and would like to add them in after squats. Is this a good or bad idea?
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Leg curls = good for the knees they help strengthen the hammies which is good for the knee koint.

Leg extensions- terrible for the knees, places alot of shear stress on the knee which is not good, there are more shearing forces on the knee during a 100 pound leg extension than there is with a 500 pound squat, so avoid them like the plague
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

That bad???
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

They're bad, especially if you go past 90 degrees when you bend your legs. You're better off just sticking with squats, front squats and hack squats.
    Last edited by rbtrout; 08-05-2009 at 09:45 AM.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wannabebig Member
    What about just to warm up before squats?
    I personally find that they warm up my knee-joints. I used to get pain from squats in the knees but after warming up with extentions, I don't even need to wear my knee brace anymore..but that's just me...

Wannabebig Member
    I don't think the hamstring is really involved to brace your lower leg like it would be if you were pulling a heavy cart, that's the reason you get a horizontal shearing force actively pulling apart the tibia and femur.

Besides they tend to give bodybuilders a 'sausage' look to the leg so it looks one fat shape without tapering.

For hamstrings GHR variations are better, and I'd rather sprint or do shallow steps ups and other stuff, rather than touch anything non barbell related... that's my bias.

How about warming up with several higher rep, light weight sqauts. I usually do the bar for 15-20 reps a couple of times and a couple of sets of 135 for 12-15 reps. Warms up the knees just fine. I used to warm up with leg extensions and it made my knees hurt more.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench