The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Silly Question - but curious

Hi

Stumbled upon this forum a couple of minutes ago, yes I don't really have any work to do right now .

I just have a question or two which I would like to ask and maybe someone will be able to answer it.

I starting going to the gym a couple of months ago. Yes I'm skinny and one of those people who doesn't pick up weight very easily - but I guess I have to look at my diet. Since I started lifting weights I have gained somewhat in size (only a little - but it is there) and I have gained in strength quite a bit especially in my triceps - so it's not that I'm not gaining. There was a time when I didn't really up the weight which held me back from being further than I am now. I'm still skinny haha, but luckily not as bony as I use to be (if I can use a term like that) - it was bad.

I'm not big by any means, but I have put on quite a bit of muscle. Don't really know how to explain but anyway here goes my question...

I bench using the smith machine since I don't have a spotter or training partner. I am however able to bench more on the machine than using the "free" barbell - I guess since you don't really have to balance the barbell also. Is this a good idea or would it be better to lower the weight and use "free" barbell to bench press?

Another question I have is what would be the maximum number of days (taking into consideration that I do have rest days inbetween) one can train a specific muscle group a week. For example would you only train your chest, shoulders and triceps 2 days of the week or can one train it 3 days? Lets say working on 5x5 for bench press, 10x5 for triceppulldowns, 5x8 shoulderspress (this is just an example of what weight and intensity I'm working at)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by Korpsie View Post
    Hi

Stumbled upon this forum a couple of minutes ago, yes I don't really have any work to do right now .

I just have a question or two which I would like to ask and maybe someone will be able to answer it.

I starting going to the gym a couple of months ago. Yes I'm skinny and one of those people who doesn't pick up weight very easily - but I guess I have to look at my diet. Since I started lifting weights I have gained somewhat in size (only a little - but it is there) and I have gained in strength quite a bit especially in my triceps - so it's not that I'm not gaining. There was a time when I didn't really up the weight which held me back from being further than I am now. I'm still skinny haha, but luckily not as bony as I use to be (if I can use a term like that) - it was bad.

I'm not big by any means, but I have put on quite a bit of muscle. Don't really know how to explain but anyway here goes my question...

I'm in the same boat as you. Skinny and hard to put on kgs/lbs, basically you have to eat and then eat some more. You'll find that alot of the advice here is to eat more and lift heavy.

I bench using the smith machine since I don't have a spotter or training partner. I am however able to bench more on the machine than using the "free" barbell - I guess since you don't really have to balance the barbell also. Is this a good idea or would it be better to lower the weight and use "free" barbell to bench press?

Drop the weight and use a barbell. You need to build up your stabilizers before you think about using a smith machine

Another question I have is what would be the maximum number of days (taking into consideration that I do have rest days inbetween) one can train a specific muscle group a week. For example would you only train your chest, shoulders and triceps 2 days of the week or can one train it 3 days? Lets say working on 5x5 for bench press, 10x5 for triceppulldowns, 5x8 shoulderspress (this is just an example of what weight and intensity I'm working at)

I'm not entirely sure for this question. But as a beginner only working specific muscle groups is not advisable. Full body workouts with compound exercises is the way to go. You should probably be hitting each muscle group at least once a week (don't take my word for it though).
    Have a read of the other threads and do some searches for specific info.

Drop the Smith Machine like a bad habit- which it is. Smith Machines lock you into one plane and you will NEVER increase in strength like you will if you go to free weights. You weight is lower in the free weights because it is harder than the Smith machine. Your best bet is to replace every machine exercise you do with a corresponding free weight exercise. Eat like a bull, lift free weights and get plenty of rest and you will see a huge difference. As for your workout, look up Starting Strength or WBB 1.1 and hop on that. Oh, and don't worry so much about tricep pushdowns and nail your legs with squats and deadlifts.

Wannabebig Member
    Thank you for the quick replies.

Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    Drop the Smith Machine like a bad habit- which it is. Smith Machines lock you into one plane and you will NEVER increase in strength like you will if you go to free weights. You weight is lower in the free weights because it is harder than the Smith machine. Your best bet is to replace every machine exercise you do with a corresponding free weight exercise. Eat like a bull, lift free weights and get plenty of rest and you will see a huge difference. As for your workout, look up Starting Strength or WBB 1.1 and hop on that. Oh, and don't worry so much about tricep pushdowns and nail your legs with squats and deadlifts.
    Okay that is fair enough and understandable. I will then rather drop the weight and go with free weights for the bench. 85% of my other exercises I do with free weights.

The routine I'm on at the moment (Now in the second week of it - it's a 12 week workout routine) - found on another site.

Basically its like this...
    MONDAY
    Squats 5 of 5
    Dead lifts 5 of 5
    Standing calf raise 5 of 10
    Leg raises 5 of 10
    Incline situps 3 of 10-20

TUESDAY
    Incline barbell bench press 5 of 5
    Seated dumbell shoulder press 5 of 8
    Bicep cable curls (low pulley) 5 of 10
    Tricep pushdowns (straight bar) 5 of 10
    Bentover dumbell lateral raises 3 of 10-15

THURSDAY
    Leg press 4 of 15
    Leg curls 4 of 15
    Wide grip pulldowns 4 of 15
    Hyperextensions 4 of 10
    Pulldown ab crunches 4 of 15

FRIDAY
    Incline dumbell bench press 4 of 10
    Dumbell side lateral raises 4 of 10
    Bicep dumbell curls 4 of 12
    Tricep pushdowns (rope) 4 of 12
    Barbell upright rows 3 of 15

It changes every 4 weeks.

It's kind of a nice workout. Don't know if it will work, but hey if you don't try you won't know.
    Last edited by Korpsie; 08-06-2009 at 07:25 AM.

The ammount of days/week you work a muscle isn't as important as the ammount of days/week you rest a muscle. I shoot for more rest days than work days.

That routine follows those rules
    Last edited by Off Road; 08-06-2009 at 07:32 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Super Ectomorph on Crack Justin Ryan's Avatar
    I'd get off the smith, ask someone at the gym to help spot if you need one.

I don't know how it is at your gym, but at mine the smith bar is 25 or 35lbs instead of 45 like a normal bar.

So i can bench 10 or 20 more on the smith than I can on a normal bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ryan View Post
    the smith bar is 25 or 35lbs instead of 45 like a normal bar...So i can bench 10 or 20 more.
    Probably more than that since you don't have to stabilize the load. Kinda like hack squats vs barbell squats.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Airsofter & Paintballer
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ryan View Post
    I don't know how it is at your gym, but at mine the smith bar is 25 or 35lbs instead of 45 like a normal bar.
    I don't use a "normal" (olympic) bar. Mine weighs 10lbs. That's it. Although I really do need to get around to buying an olympic one. How much does one run? I think I might be able to find one at Hibbetts.