The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bench Press Accident: Funny/Embarrassing, sad

Well, I never thought I would have a bench press accident, especially what happened Yesterday, which in the most part was embarrassing hahaha. I pictured that scenario a lot of times, but it finally happened yesterday.

I got to the gym, as usual, did my rotator cuff exercises to prepare the joints and started doing my bench presses. I did my first two sets, no problems. When I got to the third set, I put a weight that I could barely do 7 reps, so I said, "I can handle MORE weight on the last set" but I will rest a bit. While I was resting, I had a phone call, so I answered and the freaking call went for like 40 minutes, so I am there looking "stupid" on a BENCH (that someone was desperately waiting for me to finish), talking on the phone forever, so after the 40 minutes were gone, I was like, "Time for the last set with the heavy weight", so I THOUGHT was "FRESH", with all the strenth in the world to do 225 lbs, WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG MR. RYU.....................................
    I mean, you can picture the rest hahahaha

I positioned myself for the lift and my worst nightmare came true, as I lift the weight, put it to my chest, but guess what, hahahahaha I WAS FU.......ING trapped....with 225 lbs on my chest, and with super WEAK chest muscles (that's how they felt) so I was like, "HAHAHAHA WTF"..... Everyone was doing their **** and no one came to help immediately. I was screaming to this "MOTHER........." that was infront of me and ****, he pretended I wasn't there (WHY, WTF).... So these two other guys were just walking by and saw me and helped me right away.... THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS!!! WHEREVER YOU GUYS ARE!!!! It wasn't painful, crushing, nothing of that kind because I could hold the weight on my chest pretty good, but I wasn't gonna lift it to put it back, no FUC.......ING WAY!!!! So I was pretty embarrassed hahahahahaha damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn...................

I have helped other TRAPPED MICE before, but this time it was me. I once helped this HUGE guy and the was almost trapped with a lot of weight. I kinda predicted he wasn't going to go far with the weight he was lifting, so I stoped my military press (in the machine), in front of him, and went right away to spot.... I RECEIVED A BIG TIME THANKS FROM THIS GUY, and two tickets for his MMA fight against BUTTERBEAN.....

Any bench press stories like mine or worse?

THAT WAS IN THE MOST PART, EMBARRASSING..................

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The lifting gods were getting you back for taking up a bench while talking on the phone.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    The lifting gods were getting you back for taking up a bench while talking on the phone.

Very true! Lol

Any ******* that sits on a bench for 40 minutes talking on the phone deserves to lay under the bar awhile.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by PWR View Post
    Any ******* that sits on a bench for 40 minutes talking on the phone deserves to lay under the bar awhile.
    or anywhere taking up any equipment for 40 mins on the phone for that matter...lol

Ah ive sene lots of Bench Press Accidents, ive seen a guy, break his Sternum with 350 pounds by trying to bounce the **** out of it

Saw another guy nearly choke himself on the decline bench when he got stuck and the weight slowly rolled down

One guy knocked out his front 6 teeth when his spotter was checking out a piece of ass and he had 315 and coudlnt lock it out and he tried to push it to the lower clips but missed horribly, that was a bloody site they can to call an ambulance.

Saw a guy chip his tooth with ****ty form in the same manner

Seen bars fall out of guys hands as they are pressing the weight, thats why you dont use a false grip

Dislocated shoulders, elbows, cracked ribs.

Honestly ive seen more people hurt doing the bench press than any other exercise.

word to the wise, have a good spotter, be a good spotter, use good form, dont let you ego get in the way, and for the love of god hang up your ****ing phone
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Wannabe Fit.
    At least there are no staples in your head!
    "We get stronger by improving our weaknesses" - Detard

this happend to me once, but i was on my own, i was laying there thinking "what the f##k do i do now??"

in the end i ended up dropping 1 side of the bar, i had visions of it resting firmly on the ground allowing me to gently place the other end on the ground...wrong!! the end slid across the floor bringing the other end down towards the side of my head with more weight than i could resist, i ended up pushing it and dropping it onto the floor with such a loud bang my downstairs neighbour rung me immideatly and said "i heard a bang, i thought u might have collapsed"

When I first started lifting at about 17, I was benching and the sucky collars I was using started slipping and I tilted the bar and I was trying to balance the bar going back and forth...then I got stuck.

This real nice WOMAN came over and helped me get the weight back up. I realize there are a lot of strong women out there and a lot who read these forums, but a 17 year old guy doesn't want a lady to help him get his bench up when he is stuck

I left the gym in shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Banger View Post
    this happend to me once, but i was on my own, i was laying there thinking "what the f##k do i do now??"

in the end i ended up dropping 1 side of the bar, i had visions of it resting firmly on the ground allowing me to gently place the other end on the ground...wrong!! the end slid across the floor bringing the other end down towards the side of my head with more weight than i could resist, i ended up pushing it and dropping it onto the floor with such a loud bang my downstairs neighbour rung me immideatly and said "i heard a bang, i thought u might have collapsed"
    Hahaha damn!! HORRIBLE feeling under the weight! Thank GOD there were people around, if not, I would have cried hahaha seriously!!

Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    When I first started lifting at about 17, I was benching and the sucky collars I was using started slipping and I tilted the bar and I was trying to balance the bar going back and forth...then I got stuck.

This real nice WOMAN came over and helped me get the weight back up. I realize there are a lot of strong women out there and a lot who read these forums, but a 17 year old guy doesn't want a lady to help him get his bench up when he is stuck

I left the gym in shame.
    Hahahahaha Damn!! I would have felt the same!! I felt SHAME too

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post
    or anywhere taking up any equipment for 40 mins on the phone for that matter...lol

Ah ive sene lots of Bench Press Accidents, ive seen a guy, break his Sternum with 350 pounds by trying to bounce the **** out of it

Saw another guy nearly choke himself on the decline bench when he got stuck and the weight slowly rolled down

One guy knocked out his front 6 teeth when his spotter was checking out a piece of ass and he had 315 and coudlnt lock it out and he tried to push it to the lower clips but missed horribly, that was a bloody site they can to call an ambulance.

Saw a guy chip his tooth with ****ty form in the same manner

Seen bars fall out of guys hands as they are pressing the weight, thats why you dont use a false grip

Dislocated shoulders, elbows, cracked ribs.

Honestly ive seen more people hurt doing the bench press than any other exercise.

word to the wise, have a good spotter, be a good spotter, use good form, dont let you ego get in the way, and for the love of god hang up your ****ing phone

Damn!!!! That's way too many accidents there. I try to be careful with my lifts, especially if I am under them because that could happen anytime without proper care. Yeah, I know I should have answered that call, or at least kept it under 5 minutes, after that, my hot muscles got so cold that I don't even want to remember how bad it felt that I could't lift the weight back up I felt IMPOTENTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT....

The LIFTING GODS definitely GOt me there.

Banned
    Nothing more embarrasing for a lifter than a failed bench taht results in one being pinned under a barbell. We've all been there and it should always teach us a valuable lesson; if you aren't 100% sure that you've got that last full, good form, rep in you then go bench in the rack or lower the weight or ask a gym member to spot you.

That story above about a guy getting trapped on decline bench with the bar rolling toward his throat, ever so slowly, scared the bloody heck out of me! That would be a horrible way to die!

USE A SPOTTER when going heavy, folks.

OP, thanks for sharing as this reminds me to practice what I'm precahing here. Sometimes I feel invincible and want to up the weight, especially if a good AC/DC tune is on my shuffle, but I have to remember to play smart.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryumexicano View Post
    Well, I never thought I would have a bench press accident, especially what happened Yesterday, which in the most part was embarrassing hahaha. I pictured that scenario a lot of times, but it finally happened yesterday.

I got to the gym, as usual, did my rotator cuff exercises to prepare the joints and started doing my bench presses. I did my first two sets, no problems. When I got to the third set, I put a weight that I could barely do 7 reps, so I said, "I can handle MORE weight on the last set" but I will rest a bit. While I was resting, I had a phone call, so I answered and the freaking call went for like 40 minutes, so I am there looking "stupid" on a BENCH (that someone was desperately waiting for me to finish), talking on the phone forever, so after the 40 minutes were gone, I was like, "Time for the last set with the heavy weight", so I THOUGHT was "FRESH", with all the strenth in the world to do 225 lbs, WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG MR. RYU.....................................
    I mean, you can picture the rest hahahaha

I positioned myself for the lift and my worst nightmare came true, as I lift the weight, put it to my chest, but guess what, hahahahaha I WAS FU.......ING trapped....with 225 lbs on my chest, and with super WEAK chest muscles (that's how they felt) so I was like, "HAHAHAHA WTF"..... Everyone was doing their **** and no one came to help immediately. I was screaming to this "MOTHER........." that was infront of me and ****, he pretended I wasn't there (WHY, WTF).... So these two other guys were just walking by and saw me and helped me right away.... THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS!!! WHEREVER YOU GUYS ARE!!!! It wasn't painful, crushing, nothing of that kind because I could hold the weight on my chest pretty good, but I wasn't gonna lift it to put it back, no FUC.......ING WAY!!!! So I was pretty embarrassed hahahahahaha damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn...................

I have helped other TRAPPED MICE before, but this time it was me. I once helped this HUGE guy and the was almost trapped with a lot of weight. I kinda predicted he wasn't going to go far with the weight he was lifting, so I stoped my military press (in the machine), in front of him, and went right away to spot.... I RECEIVED A BIG TIME THANKS FROM THIS GUY, and two tickets for his MMA fight against BUTTERBEAN.....

Any bench press stories like mine or worse?

THAT WAS IN THE MOST PART, EMBARRASSING..................
    whoa. you wouldn't happen to be from central illinois would you?

Quote Originally Posted by siuecougar View Post
    whoa. you wouldn't happen to be from central illinois would you?

I am here in S. California.

Here the thing wasn't that I couldn't lift the weight because I could, but my muscles got so "COLD" from talking on the phone for 40 mins, I know hahaha sorry, that I had my muscles asleep. Thats very weird, so the moral was to just keep going with a few minutes to rest, not 40, because something this WILL happen :S VERY EMBARRASING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Erick
    Last edited by Ryumexicano; 08-05-2009 at 12:45 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    I am here in S. California.
    oh haha alright. i have a friend here who was trying to get a fight scheduled with butterbean. so i figured i'd ask haha.

Banned
    If someone was on the bench for 40 minutes and it was because they were on the phone, I would fight them right there. If it was because they were resting up to hit that last set then thats fine. Someone should have beat your ass....actually you deserve to have the weight dropped on you.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    If someone was on the bench for 40 minutes and it was because they were on the phone, I would fight them right there. If it was because they were resting up to hit that last set then thats fine. Someone should have beat your ass....actually you deserve to have the weight dropped on you.
    Calm down man hahaha

No one was waiting for the bench though, so it was cool. If someone wanted to use it, I would have given them the space

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Damn!!!! That's way too many accidents there. I try to be careful with my lifts, especially if I am under them because that could happen anytime without proper care. Yeah, I know I should have answered that call, or at least kept it under 5 minutes, after that, my hot muscles got so cold that I don't even want to remember how bad it felt that I could't lift the weight back up I felt IMPOTENTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT....

The LIFTING GODS definitely GOt me there.
    if you have spent as much time in the weight room as i have you will see alot of crazy things....lol
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

3rd timer
    I WAS FU.......ING trapped....with 225 lbs on my chest, and with super WEAK chest muscles (that's how they felt) so I was like, "HAHAHAHA WTF"
    I lift alone in my garage, and I'm sorry to say that this has happened to me. After failing to lift it off my chest I eventually rolled the bar down my body. The painful part was getting it over my hips to my thighs so that I could sit up.

After the second time this happened I learned my lesson and bought a cage.

Lol happend to me today, failed on fifth rep, and couldnt lift over chest. luckily wasnt too heavy so i rolled it down.

you previously stated there was a guy deperately waiting for the bench..
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by photon1k View Post
    I lift alone in my garage, and I'm sorry to say that this has happened to me. After failing to lift it off my chest I eventually rolled the bar down my body. The painful part was getting it over my hips to my thighs so that I could sit up.

After the second time this happened I learned my lesson and bought a cage.
    same thing happened to me.. couple times, actually. got pinned and had to roll it off me because no one was around. getting pinned while doing decline is really dangerous. there is nowhere for the weight to go but eventually on your neck.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Was the phone call very important? I ignore calls I get when I'm at the gym. If I'm lucky I'll squeeze out a text while I'm resting. Almost nothing will interrupt me while I'm working out.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by platypus View Post
    you previously stated there was a guy deperately waiting for the bench..
    This