The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

405 bench. 605 squat

thanks for the help guys ive made some big gains
    Last edited by WyztaTrjnsFtbll; 10-25-2009 at 06:57 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Both are very impressive lifts for your age. A couple peices of advice. First, your squat looks great to me and the depth is good, I have no qualms here (except for maybe that some help in breathing control might get you a little stronger). Secondly is your bench. While it is strong, your form could use some work. You should be getting into a proper powerlifting position (arch, legs tucked, etc) and be completely in place before touching the bar, then get a huge breath in, and execute the rep keeping your whole body in position and tight. You have no control of the bar coming down (which could be improved with some lat work) and your a bit squirmy on the bench pressing it up. I think with a good coach or looking at a proper powerlifting set-up, you could bench even more and could do it safer.

Overall, very strong lifting - don't take this at all as negative. I just see potential in you that can and should be safely harnessed.

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dxiw View Post
    Both are very impressive lifts for your age. A couple peices of advice. First, your squat looks great to me and the depth is good, I have no qualms here (except for maybe that some help in breathing control might get you a little stronger). Secondly is your bench. While it is strong, your form could use some work. You should be getting into a proper powerlifting position (arch, legs tucked, etc) and be completely in place before touching the bar, then get a huge breath in, and execute the rep keeping your whole body in position and tight. You have no control of the bar coming down (which could be improved with some lat work) and your a bit squirmy on the bench pressing it up. I think with a good coach or looking at a proper powerlifting set-up, you could bench even more and could do it safer.

Overall, very strong lifting - don't take this at all as negative. I just see potential in you that can and should be safely harnessed.
    good advice for the breathing do u know of n e articles on here about power breathing? (is that what you call it?)
    Last edited by WyztaTrjnsFtbll; 10-25-2009 at 06:59 PM.

The more controlled your form is, the more safe your lift will be (as you avoid spontaneously recruiting a small muscle or muscle group under maximal load from instability and possibly injuring it). You should always lift things controlled and never bounce off your chest. It only takes one injury with the kind of weight you are using to affect the rest of your lifting career and/or football performance. I'm not trying to be a stickler - I'm just looking out for you because I used to do the same stupid ****. Plus, proper form and stability will allow you lift much more in a few weeks/months of proper training and ensure that the right muscles are being trained / utilized to their potential.

As far as breathing, the reason you hold your breath is for stability, if your form is sloppy to begin with, breathing won't help much.

If you trust me on this and look into getting into a good setup, you will do much better. I raised my bench from 275 to 385 in 3 months by cleaning up my form and getting into good habits. Did I get that much stronger? Not really - I just learned to properly use the strength I had. It's counter intuitive.

225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

Very strong lifts man ! I also agree with dxiw that you can improve your form and lift even more.

Also, get a better camera so we can see your lifts better, the quality was pretty bad
    Current Raw Lifts:
    B:275 S:445 D:545
    1265 raw total
    My Journal:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123789

Banned
    Nice lifting, very strong. Your squat looked decent, but by no means did you bury it.

Quote Originally Posted by WyztaTrjnsFtbll View Post
    straight hated on
    Your strength is impressive, but you need to do some form work to prevent injury in the future. Call it "hating on" or not, we call it like we see them. Just because you lift weights for football does not give you an excuse not to worry about form.

You aren't going to get any better if everyone just comes in here and says "GREAT JOB!!!!"
    Last edited by Lones Green; 08-08-2009 at 08:17 PM.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    straight hated on
    Don't take offered advice so personally. Also, you've got to expect criticism/critique on your form whether you ask for it or not when you post a video.

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    Your strength is impressive, but you need to do some form work to prevent injury in the future. Call it "hating on" or not, we call it like we see them. Just because you lift weights for football does not give you an excuse not to worry about form.

You aren't going to get any better if everyone just comes in here and says "GREAT JOB!!!!"
    I think you may have been expecting everyone to just tell you how wonderful you are because you are 18, but the post above says it all. We see potential because of your pure strength and anyone with an eye for lifting knows you would be even stronger if you were to improve your form, especially with the bench. Go watch Dave Tate's benching video for some pointers. Just because you are as strong or stronger than those of us who are in our late 20's and 30's doesn't mean you can't learn anything. Heed advice or you won't be lifting as long as we have.

Since the other thread was removed, you appear to have the size and speed of a D1 recruit based on your lifting videos and reported stats. Any scholarship offers yet?
    Last edited by joey54; 08-09-2009 at 10:08 AM.

straight hated on
    You think this is hating? Grow up and learn what a buried squat is dude.

Lones is exactly right.

Get something other than a crappy cell phone cam before someone is impressed, but you took that video from seemingly 10ft away and from the rear. A lot of things look deeper from that far away and yours was certainly not an Olympic depth squat.

Parallel? Maybe, but don't say you buried that one. Your form is what's going to limit you. It's terrible. And if I can tell that from a sloppy camera video, it's probably worse in better resolution.

Clean up your form and you'll be much better off.

Your numbers are nice, but you have to keep in mind, we have guys on this board who can do sets of 10 reps with that bench weight and sets of 5 with that squat weight.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    how do i get good form? and sorry for not having a nice camera. my phone on my camera is the best i have sorry i dont wanna go out and drop hundreds on a new camera. my squat is below parallel tho
    Last edited by WyztaTrjnsFtbll; 10-25-2009 at 07:00 PM.

Here is my take.
    First of all for a 18 year old kid you are super strong.
    Second,you need to take advice when advice is given.Don't take it like it's a negative.We all want you to do better and help you.Everyone on here wants you to improve, listen to those who are at the top of the game.A positive attitude and a couple thank-you's to those that are trying to help goes a long ways to earning a little respect.You were told a couple ways to fix your bench form wise on the 1st reply from dxiw.
    I think at your age your one heck of a strong kid,that has the potential to be super strong.
    By the way,do you play in the Mpls metro area? Did you just get a new coach this summer??
    Best of luck young man,

Ryan Hale
    Last edited by Ryan Hale; 08-09-2009 at 09:29 PM.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...te+bench+video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI

And, continue with the squat rx videos through the entire series.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hale View Post
    Here is my take.
    First of all for a 18 year old kid you are super strong.
    Second,you need to take advice when advice is given.Don't take it like it's a negative.We all want you to do better and help you.Everyone one on here wants you to improve, listen to those who are at the top of the game.A positive attitude and a couple thank-you's to those that are trying to help goes a long ways to earning a little respect.You were told a couple ways to fix your bench form wise on the 1st reply from dxiw.
    I think at your age your one heck of a strong kid,that has the potential to be super strong.
    By the way,do you play in the Mpls metro area? Did you just get anew coach this summer??
    Best of luck young man,

Ryan Hale
    thanks for the post. i was just catchin a negative vibe. but i played at a western suburb of minneapolis. good advice tho thanks

also i dont know how to quote again but the vids are exactly wut i need thanks man

Hey no problem,sometimes it's very hard on how to take things on the "net".
    You got some great advice on this thread.

Also did you get a new coach for this year? I had a really good friend apply
    for a coaching job in MPLS this spring for high school ball.

Have you gotten some D1 offers? I would think for your size and strength the college teams would be knocken down your door.

Best of luck,

Ryan Hale

Form is a bit off on both lifts, but you are a frickin' beast and deserve props for it. If you're squatting 605 at your age without a suit, form or not, imagine what you'll be doing in 10 years. There are plenty of pro powerlifters who couldn't squat 605 without a squat suit, very impressive...
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hale View Post
    Hey no problem,sometimes it's very hard on how to take things on the "net".
    You got some great advice on this thread.

Also did you get a new coach for this year? I had a really good friend apply
    for a coaching job in MPLS this spring for high school ball.

Have you gotten some D1 offers? I would think for your size and strength the college teams would be knocken down your door.

Best of luck,

Ryan Hale
    i dont think we did. as for D1 football my parents didnt want me to play football at all, but then i got an offer from an ivy league and they let me play. so im playin D1 ivy league (the equivalent of D1AA).
    Last edited by WyztaTrjnsFtbll; 10-25-2009 at 07:02 PM.

D1 Ivy League is very impressive. Most players won't make the NFL, but a degree from one of those schools is worth its weight.

For squat depth, it's not whether or not your butt is below parallel, it's the crease at the top of your hip.

That's why it's maybe parallel, but not below.

Where in these posts did you ask for assistance on your form?

If you truly want help with your form, it'd have gone smoother if you asked for help with it.

You need widen your bench grip a bit more, tuck your elbows slightly (not excessively) keep your shoulder blades in tight and keep your feet in the same place throughout the press.

And just so you know, you don't need to go drop hundreds on a new camera to post halfway decent videos. $100 or less will get you a camera that will take videos that will be plenty clear enough

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    you don't need to go drop hundreds on a new camera to post halfway decent videos. $100 or less will get you a camera that will take videos that will be plenty clear enough
    Yup. A few weeks ago, I bought a little video camera that can take 8 hours worth of HD video for $79. I video all my workouts now.

Banned
    no way for real?

Banned
    no way for real?
    Yup, for real ( assuming your comment was to me ). Its by no means the most well made video camera, but it takes great video and I can put it on my tripod and put it almost anywhere to video my training. It's priceless.

no way for real?
    You've received advice from one of the best powerlifters on earth. Is this your response to that?
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx View Post
    You've received advice from one of the best powerlifters on earth. Is this your response to that?
    yes. about a video camera....

Banned
    yes. about a video camera....
    I give it a year or two of those upper classman at your Ivy league school kicking your ass and then you'll stop being so disrespectful.