The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thursday, March 3

HEAVY SQUAT/DEAD:
    Rack Pulls
    45*10
    135*5
    225*3
    315*3
    380*3
    390*3
    410*1
    420*1
    430*1
    440*1

1 Leg Ext
    85*12
    85*12

GHR(assisted)
    BW*6
    BW*3+3negatives

Angled Calf
    100*12
    100*12

Supination Pronation
    10*12
    10*12

Hyper Ext
    35*12
    35*12

Blah, Blah, Blah...Solid session. Still weak. Starting to get back that ability to grind it out and keep pulling at the bar until it finally starts moving on deads.

CoCoa:
    Me too. I just worry cause of his age. They aren't common, but older individuals are the ones who can get some of the more aggressive types of luekemia. On the plus side, there is a decent success rate of "curing" most forms of it.
    Last edited by Bruteman; 03-04-2011 at 05:18 PM.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Friday, March 4

CONDITIONING:
    Boxing(3min rounds w/punchouts)
    2 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds heavy bag
    1 round slip ball
    1 round speed bag
    1 round jump rope

GPP
    30sec * burpees
    30sec * jumping jacks
    30sec * high knee db press(5lb db's)
    30sec * shadow box
    -repeat circuit 5 times. No rest between circuits.

Blah, Blah, Blah...Felt motivated today.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Awesome seeing you back in stride again bro.

HEAVY BENCH:
    3 Board Press
    45*10
    135*5
    225*3
    285*3
    295*3
    305*3
    325*1
    335*1
    355*1
    365*0

DB Inc Press
    65*12
    65*12

Shrugs
    240*12
    240*12

Pullups
    BW*10
    BW*5

Rear Lat/Side Lat
    22.5*12/12.5*12
    22.5*12/12.5*12

Con Curl
    22.5*12
    22.5*12

Sit 1 Arm DB Ext
    32.5*12
    32.5*12

Blah, Blah, Blah...Weight 198.2...Felt like a champ today. 325 & 335 flew up. So got greedy and skipped 345. Should've stuck to the plan, cause I couldn't quite lockout 365. Gave it a hell of a try though.

CoCoa:
    It feels good too bro'. It feels good too. And I won't deny that recent events haven't got me in "appreciation" mode. How can I even think about calling it a day, or even just backing off a little during a session, when I know dad would love to be able to do this stuff again. He can hardly walk up steps now. Just 4 weeks ago he was still doing his running and working. And don't be suprised if I have a few fights in the near future. If there's something you want to do, do it now. Tomorrow is not a given.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Bruteman View Post
    If there's something you want to do, do it now. Tomorrow is not a given.
    I'm hearing you bro, make each day count and take nothing for granted.

Unlucky on that lock out, next time mate, next time.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Monday, March 7

TRAINING:
    Cardio
    Run, 20min.

Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds heavy bag
    3 rounds slip rope

Blah, Blah, Blah...Felt good to run outside...The rest of this week was taken off cause I was sick.
    My Journal

Monday, March 14

TRAINING:
    Cardio
    Jog, 20min.

Boxing(3min rounds)
    2 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds slip rope
    3 rounds heavy bag

Blah, Blah, Blah...Had a good daddy moment. Went jogging with my little girl for the first time. Said I was going for my run and she asked if she could come along. So my cardio was really slow, and had lots of walking interspersed, but it was well worth it.
    My Journal

Tuesday, March 15

SPEED SQUAT/DEAD:
    Box Squat
    160*2*8
    260*2
    280*2

Dead Lift
    235*1*6

Lunge
    190*6
    190*6

Good Mornings
    110*6
    110*6

Stand Calves
    325*6
    325*6

Static Holds
    315*30sec
    315*30sec

Blah, Blah, Blah...Decent session considering I was sick all week. Still can't talk, but I feel ok.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    I'm hearing you bro, make each day count and take nothing for granted.
    Amen brother.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Kiff View Post
    Unlucky on that lock out, next time mate, next time.
    You know it. It's just a matter of patience and time. Need to get my lockout strength back up to par is all.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Bruteman View Post
    Had a good daddy moment. Went jogging with my little girl for the first time. Said I was going for my run and she asked if she could come along. So my cardio was really slow, and had lots of walking interspersed, but it was well worth it.
    Awesome, doesn't get any better than that...you'll be on cloud nine again the day Luke asks to join in.

Thursday, March 17

SPEED BENCH:
    Bench
    195*3*8

Lockouts(hole #8)
    265*6
    265*6

V-Bar Pullups
    15*6
    15*6

T-Bar Row
    140*6
    140*6

DB Shoulder Press
    65*6
    65*6

EZ Preacher Curl
    95*6
    95*6

Skull Crush
    110*6
    110*6

Blah, Blah, Blah...It was one of those days at work. This session was a good stress reliever.

CoCoa:
    It'll be a good day when he joins in on something I do, but there's no hurry. I want to enjoy the innocense of childhood he displays for as long as I can.
    My Journal

Friday, March 18

CONDITIONING:
    2 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds heavy bag
    1 round speed bag
    1 round slip ball

(2min rounds)
    6 rounds sparring

GPP
    none

Blah, Blah, Blah...Was worn out. Sat around for about a half hour between doing the slip ball and sparring. Sparred 3 different guys for 2 rounds each. They were all beginners, so it wasn't very taxing. That's good though, cause I was pretty much pooped already.
    My Journal

Nice work mate, way to go taking your aggression out at the gym!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Saturday, March 19

HEAVY SQUAT/DEAD:
    Rack Pulls
    45*10
    135*5
    225*3
    315*3
    360*3
    375*3
    405*1
    420*1
    435*1
    450*0

1 Leg Curl
    60*12
    60*11

Leg Press
    360*12
    360*12

Stand Calf
    20*12
    20*12

Plate Pinch
    25's*43sec
    25's*34sec

[b]Pull Throughs[b]
    #13*12
    #13*12

Blah, Blah, Blah...Weight 198.4...Worn down from a rough week.

Kiff:
    Got to get the stress out somehow. Can't even imagine what I might do if I didn't have lifting and boxing. Knowing how my mind is put together and how I deal with things, I would definitly be someone who would go postal, or become a serial killer. And while that might be fun, that's no way to be. lol
    My Journal

Nothing like getting lost into something you are really into for an hour or so, and forget everything. That's what makes movies so great, lol. Whole effort is solid guy.

Monday, March 21

TRAINING:
    Cardio
    Run, 20min.

Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds slip rope
    3 rounds heavy bag

Blah, Blah, Blah...Legs were tired.
    My Journal

Tuesday, March 22

HEAVY BENCH:
    3 Board Press
    45*10
    135*5
    225*3
    290*3
    300*3
    310*3
    330*1
    340*1
    350*1
    360*0

Flies
    65*12
    65*7

DB Pullover
    90*12
    90*8

DB Row
    90*12
    90*10

Cable Side/Rear Lat
    #2.5*12/#2.5*12
    #2.5*7/#2.5*5

DB Inc Curl
    35*12
    35*7

1 Arm Pressdown
    #5*12
    #5*9

Blah, Blah, Blah...Everything felt heavy as hell.

CoCoa:
    Movies are good, except I can't keep my eyes open for a whole movie anymore. lol Turning into my dad and "resting my eyes" a lot if I sit down for more than 5 minutes.
    My Journal

Good job man, that is some heavy work.

Wednesday, March 23

TRAINING:
    Boxing(2min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds speed bag
    3 rounds heavy bag
    3 rounds double end bag
    3 rounds slip ball
    2 rounds sparring

Blah, Blah, Blah...Still feeling run down. Sparring was real light again...I don't usually mention this kind of stuff, but we got a new girl at the club, and wow. She is an absolutely beautiful young lady. Alas, I'm at least twice her age, and married. Stupid laws and stuff. lol

CoCoa:
    Thanks Coke. Them's just warmup weights for you though ain't they?
    My Journal

Friday, March 25

CONDITIONING:
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds speed bag
    3 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds double end bag
    1 round slip ball
    1 round jump rope

GPP
    none

Blah, Blah, Blah...Didn't have the gumption to perform a gpp circuit. Gonna' have to start doing conditioning on Mondays again. That's about the only day I have the mental drive to perform that crap.
    My Journal

Been debating about how to lift lately. I like my current routine, but it is definitely more involved. ME and DE days, deloads, sessions take longer, and it's not very forgiving if you miss a session. On the plus side it is a lot more applicable to my athletic mindedness and has proven to be better for my lower back. My bodybuilder type routine was more simple and sessions were shorter. It was a little more forgiving if I missed a workout also. I looked through my pics. I think August of '05 and June of '08 are the best to compare how I look using each method. I don't really notice any difference. Except I knew how to pose better in '05 cause I actually practiced it then. So is it worth the extra hassles to look the same, but be a little stronger? I don't know. Or maybe I'm just run down and beat up and it's messing with my mind right now. That's all. I haven't babbled in a while, so figured I'd get some in while in a mind funk.
    My Journal

All is well, the training, conditioning, and the eye candy too, lol. More seriously though, just continue to do whatever you can do, no matter what and without forethought. That way you stay on top of it all.
    Last edited by Coke; 03-25-2011 at 07:08 PM.

Saturday, March 26

SPEED BENCH:
    Bench
    195*3*6
    260*2
    280*2

5 Board Press
    270*6
    270*6

Pullups
    15*6
    15*5

BB Row
    200*6
    200*6

Shoulder Press
    135*6
    135*6

BB Curl
    100*6
    100*6

Dips
    100*6
    100*6

Blah, Blah, Blah...Woohoo! Actually felt good today.

CoCoa:
    You're right, and I know that. In reality, it's not like I'm competing at a high level, or at all right now, so how i lift doesn't really matter. Just need to do what I feel like doing and strive to improve from workout to workout.
    My Journal