The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Friday, April 1

Have had some uninspired, and missed, workouts lately. Think it's just life stresses weighing down on me, and lack of sleep. You know, the usual crap. Actually felt good today. Hopefully I'm on an up trend again.

TRAINING:
    Cardio
    Run, 20min.

Boxing(3min rounds)
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    4 rounds heavy bag

(2min rounds)
    2 rounds double end bag
    2 rounds speed bag
    2 rounds slip ball

Blah, Blah, Blah...Good session. Felt loose and light on my feet.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Keep at it bro, things have a way of turning around.

Monday, April 4

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds w/punchouts)
    2 rounds jump rope

Conditioning
    5 pullups
    10 hammer swings(overhead swings)
    15 burpees
    20 jumping jacks

-Repeat as many times as possible in 20min. I managed a horrible 6 rounds, 5 pullups, 10 hammer swings and 7 burpees.

3 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds slip rope
    3 rounds heavy bag

Blah, Blah, Blah...As Dierks Bentley would say, what was I thinkin'? Holy poop that kicked my butt.

CoCoa:
    I know. But it still sucks during the down and out times. At least when I gripe about it here you all understand what I'm talkin' about. Gripe about it anywhere else and I get a bunch of "I think your nuts for doing all that crap anyways" looks and comments.
    Last edited by Bruteman; 04-05-2011 at 02:40 PM.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    This journal is very interesting and relevant to my interests. Would you mind explaining how you program your heavy lifting and conditioning/skills work for fighting?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Tuesday, April 5

HEAVY SQUAT/DEAD:
    Bottom Up Squat
    45*10
    135*5
    225*3
    245*3
    255*3
    265*3
    285*1
    295*1
    305*1

1 Leg Ext
    90*12
    90*10

GHR(assisted)
    BW*6
    BW*3+3negatives

Angled Calf
    105*12
    105*11

Supination Pronation
    12.5*8
    12.5*7

Hyper Ext
    40*12
    40*10

Blah, Blah, Blah...I need to quit missing weeks. Good effort, could just tell I didn't lift last week.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    This journal is very interesting and relevant to my interests. Would you mind explaining how you program your heavy lifting and conditioning/skills work for fighting?
    Honestly, I could arrange it better, but there is a reason why I do things the way I do, so....

-I lift 3 days a week(T,R,S) and box 3 days(M,W,F).
    -For lifting I just rotate through the 4 westside days. So week 1 is DE Bench, ME Squat, ME Bench. Week 2 is DE Squat, DE Bench, ME Squat and so on.
    -I do conditioning type work on Mondays along with a short but intense skill session. This isn't necessarily the best day to do it, but it is, only because it's the only day I have the energy and mental fortitude to do that kind of work.
    -Wednesday is all skill work. Well, I jump some rope to warm up, but after that it's bag work, mitts, sparring and what have you.
    -Friday I run for about 20min, then do skill work for as long as I have energy for.

That's about it I guess. Things to note:
    -Since I only get 3 days of skill work in I don't fart around a lot. I put forth pretty good effort and concentrate on learning, or perfecting something, every round.
    -I have chosen to be a jack-of-all trades and accept what that means as far as progress in individual endevours. It doesn't mean I don't set goals, or accept failure. Just means I realize it will take longer to reach goals. Especially strength goals.
    -I do 2 types of conditioning work. One I refer to as GPP wich is usually a circuit of callisthenics type moves done after my skill work. The other I refer to as Conditioning, or some people call it Density training. It's sort of Crossfit-ish in nature. It's usually a circuit with one or two weight bearing moves involved, and there's usually a time element also. I do it before my skill work. That forces me to learn to perform even when my body is fatigued. Obviously, I concentrate a lot on technique on those days. No sense in being sloppy when tired. I want my shit to be tight, even when I feel like I can't throw one more punch.
    -I wear my mouthpiece for everything but lifting.
    -There are times I have ME Squat days following conditioning days. They suck, but I deal with it. Cause this is the best way I can arrange everything right now.

I think that covers most of my madness. If there's anything I didn't explain well, or right, or at all, please feel free to ask more questions.
    My Journal

Wednesday, April 6

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds slip ball
    3 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds speed bag
    2 rounds double end bag

Blah, Blah, Blah...Slow to start. Then I found my groove and was golden.
    My Journal

Thursday, April 7

HEAVY BENCH:
    Bottom Up Bench
    45*10
    135*5
    225*3
    240*3
    250*3
    260*3
    280*1
    290*1
    300*1
    310*1

DB Inc Press
    70*12
    70*9

Shrugs
    245*12
    245*12

Pullups
    BW*10
    BW*6

Rear Lat/Side Lat
    15*12/15*12
    15*12/15*6

Con Curl
    25*12
    25*12

Sit 1 Arm DB Ext
    35*12
    35*6

Blah, Blah, Blah...Gotz my pump on. Always feel like a water balloon after higher rep stuff.
    My Journal

Friday, April 8

TRAINING:
    Cardio
    Run, 20min.

Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds slip ball
    3 rounds heavy bag
    1 round double end bag
    2 rounds speed bag

Blah, Blah, Blah...OK session. Well, I guess it was a good session really. I wasn't feeling froggy or nothin' is all. Was just kind of there, pushing myself, cause that's what I do.
    My Journal

Been stepping to it all week long, looks nice Brian.

Saturday, April 9

SPEED SQUAT/DEAD:
    Box Squat
    195*2*8
    260*2
    280*2

Dead Lift
    235*1*6

Lunge
    195*6
    195*6

Good Mornings
    115*6
    115*6

Stand Calves
    330*6
    330*6

Static Holds
    365*30sec
    365*22sec

Blah, Blah, Blah...Weight 197.8...Very unmotivated workout. Even skipped the abb work I usually do at the end. I took some vacation days for Monday thru Thursday next week. I think I was just already in vacation mode. lol

CoCoa:
    Yup. Got my mind right and things are falling into place lately. Should be able to make some decent progress now. Hopefully this is one of those moments where I can even reach some new levels. It's been a while since that's happened. I think I'm due.
    My Journal

Enjoy your down time. Bench is looking real strong.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Monday, April 11

TRAINING:
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds slip rope

GPP
    Rounds 1 & 3
    30sec * burpees
    30sec * jumping jacks
    30sec * split jumps
    30sec * burpees
    30sec * jumping jacks
    30sec * BW squats

Rounds 2 & 4
    30sec * burpees
    30sec * jumping jacks
    30sec * split jumps
    30sec * burpees
    30sec * jumping jacks
    30sec * pushups
    -1min rests between rounds.

Blah, Blah, Blah...Got to sleep in. No work. Oh yeah, I felt good today.

cphafner:
    The down time will be thoroughly enjoyed. My pressing strength has returned a lot more quickly than my squat/dead strength. Not sure why though. That's typical for me really, but it still doesn't really make any sense. You'd think everything would progress back to previous levels at roughly the same rate.
    My Journal

Hate days like today. Felt sluggish. Sparred and did horrible. I was getting beat in every way, shape and form. Not trying to take anything away from the other guy. He's very good. Quick, strong, good technique. But we've sparred before and it's usually just some good hard sparring. Wouldn't care normally, but lately I have more "so-so" days than "good" days. Same thing with lifting and even at work. I use to sprint up the stairs(yes, literally. I have to run up and down steps all day) all the time. Now I'm lucky if I get 2 days a week where I feel up to it. Something needs to change, cause my body is drained.
    My Journal

We all have days like that, just how it is. Truly stepped to those rounds man.

Friday, April 15

TRAINING:
    Cardio
    Run, 20min.

Boxing(3min rounds)
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds speed bag
    3 rounds heavy bag
    1 round jump rope

Blah, Blah, Blah...Nothing to note.

CoCoa:
    I know my man. We've both been at this game long enough to know, and deal with, its ebb and flows. Just currently on a downward swing is all. Doesn't mean I have to like it. And I'll piss and moan about it as much as I want, so there. *sticks tongue out at Coke* lol
    My Journal

Monday, June 13

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow box
    2 rounds slip rope
    3 rounds heavy bag

GPP
    30sec * burpees
    30sec * jumping jacks
    30sec * high knee db press(5lb db's)
    30sec * shadow boxing
    -repeat circuit 5 times.

Blah, Blah, Blah...Went hard last 30sec of each round...Dad passed away. This is what he had. Have spent the last few weeks visiting him and mom a lot. Had the memorial service which brought some closure to it all. Now it's time to try and get back to normal...This was a decent session. I had managed a workout here and there(for stress relief), so I'm not completely detrained, but close to it.
    My Journal

Sorry to hear of your loss, God bless your whole family as you move forward.

Tuesday, June 14

SPEED BENCH:
    Bench
    180*3*8

5 Board Press
    250*6
    250*6

Pull-up
    5*6
    5*5

BB Row
    185*6
    185*6

Shoulder Press
    115*6
    115*6

BB Curl
    80*6
    80*6

Dips
    80*6
    80*6

Blah, Blah, Blah...Weak, but felt good.

CoCoa:
    Thank you.
    My Journal

Wednesday, June 15

TRAINING:
    Cardio
    Run, 20min.

Boxing(3min rounds)
    2 rounds jump rope
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds slip rope
    2 rounds heavy bag

Blah, Blah, Blah...My mind still thinks I'm in shape. My body reminds my mind, after a bit, that it's not. lol
    Last edited by Bruteman; 06-15-2011 at 08:23 PM.
    My Journal

Thursday, June 16

HEAVY SQUAT/DEAD:
    Squat
    45*10
    135*5
    225*3
    245*3
    275*1
    295*1
    315*1

1 Leg Ext
    70*12
    70*12

GHR(assisted)
    BW*6
    BW*3+2negatives

Donkey Calf
    85*12
    85*12

Supination Pronation
    5*12
    5*12

Blah, Blah, Blah...Felt suprisingly stable during the squats. Weak, but stable.
    My Journal

Friday, June 17

TRAINING:
    Cardio
    Run, 24min.

Boxing(3min rounds)
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    1 round double end bag
    2 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds speed bag
    1 round jump rope

Blah, Blah, Blah...I'm sore everywhere. I hate starting over DOMS.
    My Journal

Nice workouts going on there Brian.

Sunday, June 19

HEAVY BENCH:
    Bench
    45*10
    135*5
    225*3
    245*3
    265*3
    275*1
    295*1

DB Inc Press
    50*12
    50*12

Shrugs
    225*12
    225*12

Pullups
    BW*8
    BW*5

Rear Lat/Side Lat
    10*12/10*12
    10*12/10*12

Con Curl
    15*12
    15*12

Sit 1 Arm DB Ext
    20*12
    20*12

Blah, Blah, Blah...Weight 194.4...So freaking weak. I haven't been at this level in years.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Nice workouts going on there Brian.
    I suppose they're nice since I'm doing them. That's about all that's nice about them right now. lol
    My Journal