The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Same here, the amount of fluids I have been taking in during this whole heat wave is unreal.

You hanging tough with it man.

Monday, July 25

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    2 rounds jump rope

Conditioning
    5 pullups
    10 hammer swings(overhead)
    15 burpees
    20 jumping jacks
    -repeat as many times as posible in 20min. I got 6rounds+5 pullups+10 hammer swings+3 burpees.

Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds slip rope

Blah, Blah, Blah...Went hard last 30sec of each round...Pathetic display, but I did it. Didn't give up or quit. Could have easily, cause that circuit is brutal.

CoCoa:
    haha, you said hangin' tough. Teh wifey is going to see New Kids On The Block this wednesday. Sad, I know, but true.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Bruteman View Post
    haha, you said hangin' tough. Teh wifey is going to see New Kids On The Block this wednesday. Sad, I know, but true.
    No kidding, maybe I have low key psychic tendencies, lol.

That is definitely brutal work you are doing, not many can pull it off.

Tuesday, July 26

SPEED SQUAT/DEAD:
    Box Squat
    160*2*8
    260*2
    275*2

BB Hack Squat
    320*6
    320*6

RDL
    255*6
    255*6

Donkey Calves
    260*6
    260*6

Blah, Blah, Blah...Just a quickie. Didn't have much time today.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Thursday, July 28

UPPER BODY:
    DB Inc Press
    70*8
    70*8

DB Row
    85*8
    85*8

Prone Inc Lat Raise
    15*10
    15*10

Sit 1 Arm DB Ext
    40*8
    40*6+2

Blah, Blah, Blah...Needed a change. Don't have the energy, or drive, to do what I've been doing. Sessions will be short and sweet. Alternate between upper and lower body. Use some rest/pause reps when I don't get the desired number of reps in a set(that's what the "+2" stands for). No set time for how long I'll do this. Until I feel like doing something else I guess.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    No kidding, maybe I have low key psychic tendencies, lol.

That is definitely brutal work you are doing, not many can pull it off.
    lol, I'm not really pulling it off either. It's a sad display if ever there was one when I do that crap. Maybe one day I'll take a video of it. Just don't know if my ego could withstand the humility.
    My Journal

Friday, July 29

TRAINING:
    Cardio
    Run 20min.

Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds speed bag
    3 rounds heavy bag
    1 round shadow boxing

Blah, Blah, Blah...Was feeling real good. The run went well. Shadow boxing was good. Then the shoulders started to fatigue during the speed bag rounds. By the middle of the second round of heavy bag I was beat. Attempted to do some double end bag work, but gave up and sat down for a round. Took out my mouthpiece, unwrapped my hands and did a light round of shadow boxing. Called it quits after that. No need to beat a dead horse.
    My Journal

Saturday, July 30

LOWER BODY:
    Squat
    185*12
    185*12

1 Leg Ext
    80*12
    80*12

Hyper Extension
    5*12
    5*12

Angled Calf
    95*12
    95*11+2

Supination Pronation
    10*12
    10*12

Blah, Blah, Blah...Weight 196.0...Just a session...Haven't figured out a lifting routine yet. Have a few ideas I'm tossing around. Only thing for sure is it will be an upper/lower split with no "ME" or "DE" days.
    My Journal

Monday, August 1

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds slip rope

GPP
    Rounds 1 & 3:
    30sec * burpees
    30sec * jumping jacks
    30sec * split jumps
    30sec * burpees
    30sec * jumping jacks
    30sec * BW squat

Rounds 2 & 4:
    30sec * burpees
    30sec * jumping jacks
    30sec * split jumps
    30sec * burpees
    30sec * jumping jacks
    30sec * pushups

-rest 1min between rounds.

Blah, Blah, Blah...Went hard last 30sec of each round...Getting better, but these circuits are still kickin' my butt.
    My Journal

these circuits are still kickin' my butt.
    No joke, those circuits alone are some killer work.

Wednesday, August 3

UPPER BODY:
    Bench
    205*10
    205*10

DB Inc Press
    65*10
    65*7+2

Shrugs
    235*10
    235*10

Pullups
    BW*10
    BW*4+2

Rear Lat/Side Lat
    15*10/15*10
    15*10/15*10

Con Curl
    25*10
    25*10

Sit 1 Arm DB Ext
    30*10
    30*10

Blah, Blah, Blah...Felt good.
    My Journal

No joke, those circuits alone are some killer work.
    I know. Why do I do them again?
    My Journal

Thursday, August 4

LOWER BODY:
    Squat
    260*5
    260*5

BB Hack Squat
    325*5
    325*5

RDL
    260*5
    260*5

Stand Calves
    305*5
    305*5

Static Holds
    365*28sec
    365*22sec

Blah, Blah, Blah...This has to improve! This weakness is unacceptable!...Don't know if I like 5 rep sets. Doesn't feel like I did enough. I did start conservatively with my weights, so maybe as the weights go up it will be better. Guess I'll give it a fair shake and see.
    My Journal

Good to see you around man. Seems things are going well for ya.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Friday, August 5

TRAINING:
    Boxing(2min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds heavy bag
    1 round speed bag
    3 rounds sparring w/Jake

Blah, Blah, Blah...Nice, little session. Didn't push it too hard, just did the work...Am running a race in my dad's honor tomorrow. He had a "running club" at church when I was a kid. Had shirts made with a little logo on it he designed and everything. If you ran a race with him he would give you one. Well the current pastor was real close with dad and wanted to revive the club one more time. So a bunch of us are digging up our old shirts and entering this race. It also happens to be a race dad help organize origionally. And someone at the church paid to have his name put on the shirt they give to all the contestants. You know, like he's one of the sponsors. Thought that was kind of cool. So tomorrow morning I'll pretend to be a runner again for 3.1 miles. Then I'll binge on some good food. The race is held in conjunction with the Mennonite Relief Sale. Them mennonites knowz how to cook.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Good to see you around man. Seems things are going well for ya.
    Well howdy there. Yup, things are pretty good all in all. I'm not as active as I use to be here, but I'm still lurking around. Might be heading down your way again. On vacation next week, but have to see how some things play out before we decide where we are going.
    My Journal

Honoring your dad that way speaks volumes for the legacy he leaves behind!!

You are a great guy and follow in his footsteps.

Saturday, August 6

TRAINING:
    Cardio
    5K Run for Relief race, 23:49

Blah, Blah, Blah...Didn't feel great, but did about as well as I expected. Considering I only run once a week, and I'm not a little guy, it was a respectable time I suppose. It was good enough to get me 3rd place in my age group. A dubious honor, but it always feels good to win even a little something....Had a good sized crew there running for dad. More than 20 of us. Some of them I hadn't seen in years, and some were just people from the church that had never run before. It actually choked me up for a minute seeing all the orange shirts and people wearing the ribbons(mom made little cancer ribbons that said "4 Jim" on them). Dad was a good man and touched a lot of lives through his running. I can only hope to do the same, to even half as many people, in my life.
    My Journal

Honoring your dad that way speaks volumes for the legacy he leaves behind!!

You are a great guy and follow in his footsteps.
    Thank you kind sir. It is an honor in and of itself to hear those words from a man like you.
    My Journal

Me and the little man holding my "trophy".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Journal

Uncle Coke loves that shot, thankx for posting it.

Tuesday, August 9

LOWER BODY:
    Power Clean
    150*5
    150*5

Cybex Leg Press
    540*10
    540*10

1 Leg Curl
    50*10
    50*10

Stand Calf
    15*10
    15*10

Plate Pinch
    25's*42sec
    25's*32sec

Pullthroughs
    #14*10
    #14*10

Blah, Blah, Blah...Good workout. Getting the itch to switch back to what I was doing already. Mostly I'm missing the max effort days. Think I was just mentally burned out on ME and DE days. Needed to drop them from the equation for a bit. They will show up again starting next week.
    My Journal

Uncle Coke loves that shot, thankx for posting it.
    No problem. You know I like to show off my cute, little kids. I should post one of my daughter with me. She's not a little girl anymore. She's very tall for her age.
    My Journal

Wednesday, August 10

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    2 rounds jump rope

Conditioning
    2 db snatches per arm(30lb db)
    6 burpees
    -repeat sequence as many times as you can in 10min...I got through it 8 times.

Hammer swings
    -hit tire as many times as possible in 10min. Switch grip every 5 swings...Hit it 265 times.

Power boxing
    -hit heavy bag hard and fast for 5min.

Boxing(3min rounds)
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds slip rope
    2 rounds heavy bag

Blah, Blah, Blah...Went hard last 30sec of each round...Don't know how to explain it really. I felt good and had a good workout. My conditioning is just crap. I have the stamina of a bedridden 90 year old. I'll have to search through my old journal, but I'm pretty sure the 8 and 265 are some pathetic ass numbers.
    Last edited by Bruteman; 08-10-2011 at 07:11 PM.
    My Journal

I found it.

...Work Capacity(Density Day)
    2 DB snatches per arm(20lb DB)
    6 burpees
    -repeat as many times as possible in 10min
    -I got 11 rounds+2 snatches+5 burpees

Swing hammer as many times as possible in 10min, switch stance every 5 swings
    -I got 290 swings...
    As I suspected, my performance was horrid today. Only thing good was I used a heavier dumbell this time.
    My Journal