The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thursday, August 11

UPPER BODY:
    Bench
    210*10
    210*8+2

Flies
    55*10
    55*8+2

DB Pullover
    80*10
    80*10

DB Row
    80*10
    80*10

Cable Side Lat/Rear Lat
    10*10/10*10
    10*10/10*10

DB Inc Curl
    25*10
    25*10

1 Arm Pressdown
    25*10
    25*10

Blah, Blah, Blah...Solid session.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Friday, August 12

TRAINING:
    Boxing(2min rounds)
    2 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds speed bag
    4 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds double end bag

Cardio
    Run, 3.4 miles @ 8:31 pace

Blah, Blah, Blah...Decent session. Usually run first and got reminded why. My legs were dead. On top of that I took the wrong road and ended up running a little further than I wanted too. Oh well...Did find a nifty site for those of you who run/walk/bike. www.mapmyrun.com lets you figure out how far you've gone, or will go(if you follow the route right, lol).
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Damn good pace with the running bro!!

Saturday, August 13

SPEED SQUAT/DEAD:
    Box Squat
    190*2*10

Power Clean
    155*1*6

Lunge
    185*6
    185*6

GHR
    BW*6
    BW*3+2negatives

Donkey Calves
    265*6
    265*6

Wrist Roller
    7.5*2
    7.5*2

Blah, Blah, Blah...Weight 200.6...Blasted through this workout.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Damn good pace with the running bro!!
    Thanks bud. I guess it's not that bad really. I have a distorted view of what kinds of times I should be running. I spent a big portion of my life running, and at a much faster pace than that. Guess I should accept I'm not a 175lb teenager who runs all the time anymore. lol
    My Journal

Monday, August 22

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    2 rounds jump rope
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds slip rope

GPP
    100 Rope turns
    10 Burpees
    10 Pushups
    10 BW Squats
    -Complete circuit as many times as possible in 20min. I got 7 + 100 rope turns + 10 burpees + 3 pushups.

Blah, Blah, Blah...Went hard last 30sec of each round...Felt decent. Conditioning is getting better...Worked 12's all last week. Worked out monday, but that was it. Just ain't enough energy in this here old body for that crap anymore.
    My Journal

Tuesday, August 23

SPEED BENCH:
    Bench
    180*3*8

5 Board Press
    260*6
    260*6

Pull-up
    10*6
    10*6

BB Row
    195*6
    195*6

Shoulder Press
    125*6
    125*6

BB Curl
    90*6
    90*6

Skull Crush
    100*6
    100*6

Blah, Blah, Blah...On the comeback trail yo'!
    My Journal

Wednesday, August 24

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds heavy bag
    1 round double end bag
    2 rounds speed bag
    1 round double end bag
    1 round shadow boxing
    1 round jump rope

Blah, Blah, Blah...Hands felt heavy today.
    My Journal

Thursday, August 25

HEAVY SQUAT/DEAD:
    Rack Pulls
    135*5
    225*3
    315*3
    385*3
    395*3
    415*1
    430*1
    445*1

1 Leg Ext
    85*12
    85*12

GHR(assisted)
    BW*7
    BW*3+3negatives

Angled Calf
    95*12
    95*12

Supination Pronation
    12.5*12
    12.5*8

Hyper Extension
    10*12
    10*12

Blah, Blah, Blah...Real good workout. If I wasn't in a hurry I would've tried for more on the rack pulls. Starting to gain confidence in my pulling again. Was hoping to make a run at 500 this year. With only 4 months left that'll be tough. Not impossible, but tough.
    My Journal

Friday, August 26

TRAINING:
    Cardio
    Run, 3 miles @ 7:50 pace

Boxing(2min rounds)
    2 rounds shadow box
    3 rounds mitts
    3 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds shadow box
    3 rounds speed bag

Blah, Blah, Blah...Was very motivated today. Even when I was feeling tired I kept pushing. And I was also putting on a good front. I wasn't letting it show that I was wearing out. I'm a big believer in always looking poised under preasure, and never looking tired, during any sport. And that is something that has to be "practiced" like any other skill in a sport. IMO, it's something most coaches overlook. I'd go so far as to say the whole mental side of any game is overlooked by most coaches. Well, I could ramble on for pages about this, so I'll just stop now and leave it at that.
    My Journal

Saturday, August 27

HEAVY BENCH:
    3 Board Press
    135*5
    225*3
    275*3
    285*3
    295*3
    315*1
    330*1
    345*1

DB Inc Press
    65*12
    65*12

Shrugs
    235*12
    235*12

Pull-up
    BW*10
    BW*4

Rear Lateral ss/w Side Lateral
    15*12/15*12
    15*12/15*8

Con Curl
    25*12
    25*9

Sit 1 Arm DB Ext
    25*12
    30*12

Blah, Blah, Blah...Everything felt heavy.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Bruteman View Post
    I'm a big believer in always looking poised under preasure, and never looking tired, during any sport.
    That's how the game should be played, and that includes other arenas, "never let 'em see you sweat" no matter what. Proud of the approach son.

Tuesday, August 30

SPEED SQUAT/DEAD:
    Box Squat
    160*2*10

Dead Lift
    230*1*6

Lunge
    190*6
    190*6

Good Mornings
    100*6
    100*6

Stand Calves
    300*6
    300*6

Static Holds
    365*31sec
    365*23sec

Blah, Blah, Blah...Lunges, gm's and calves were too light. Going to bump them up more than normal next time.
    My Journal

Wednesday, August 31

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds double end bag
    4 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds speed bag
    1 round shadow boxing

Blah, Blah, Blah...Not bad, not great. I'll take it. Got some good, solid work in today.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    That's how the game should be played, and that includes other arenas, "never let 'em see you sweat" no matter what. Proud of the approach son.
    Mainly, I just don't want them youngsters to think they can out do the old man. lol
    I might be ready to collapse, but I won't let them see that. I make them think I'm the Ener-motherf**kin'-gizer Bunny.
    My Journal

Thursday, September 1

SPEED BENCH:
    Bench
    180*3*6
    240*2
    255*2

Lockouts
    255*6
    255*6

V-Bar Pull-up
    15*6
    15*6

T-Bar Row
    150*6
    150*6

DB Shoulder Press
    60*6
    60*6

EZ Preacher Curl
    85*6
    85*6

Dips
    90*6
    90*6

Blah, Blah, Blah...Almost a "WOW" status workout. Felt strong today.
    My Journal

Friday, September 2

TRAINING:
    Cardio
    Run, 3 miles @ 8:19 pace

Boxing(2min rounds)
    3 rounds shadow box
    3 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds double end bag
    1 round shadow box

Blah, Blah, Blah...Too darn hot. Felt ok, just had no energy. Apparently all my bodies energy was being used to make me sweat.
    My Journal

Yes, it has been super hot the past couple of days but I was liking it because the weather was getting a little too cool for my taste.

Props on the recent efforts.

Tuesday, September 6

HEAVY BENCH:
    3 Board Press
    135*5
    225*3
    280*3
    290*3
    300*3
    320*1
    335*1
    350*1

Flies
    50*12
    50*12

DB Pullover
    80*12
    80*12

DB Row
    80*12
    80*12

Side Cable Lateral ss/w Rear Cable Lateral
    15*12/15*8
    15*12/15*6

DB Inc Curl
    30*12
    30*12

Sit 1 Arm DB Ext
    30*12
    30*12

Blah, Blah, Blah...Yeah baby. Killin' it.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Yes, it has been super hot the past couple of days but I was liking it because the weather was getting a little too cool for my taste.

Props on the recent efforts.
    See, I like it where it was. Mid to upper 70's is my kind of weather.

Despite missing saturday and monday, efforts will be consistent and doubled for the next few weeks. No extra work being put in, just more focus and effort put forth during the ones I have.
    My Journal

Wednesday, September 7

TRAINING:
    Boxing(2min rounds w/30sec rests)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds speed bag
    4 rounds heavy bag
    3 rounds double end bag
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    1 round heavy bag
    punchout ladder-10sec work, 10sec rest, 20w, 20r, 30w, 30r, 40w, 40r, 30w, 30r, 20w, 20r, 10w

Blah, Blah, Blah...Didn't feel so hot going in, but ended up having a real good workout.
    My Journal

Thursday, September 8

SPEED SQUAT/DEAD:
    Box Squat
    175*2*8
    260*2
    275*2

Power Clean
    160*1*6

BB Hack Squat
    330*6
    330*6

RDL
    265*6
    265*6

Donkey Calves
    275*6
    275*6

Wrist Roller
    10*2
    10*2

Blah, Blah, Blah...Can't complain. I'm steadily improving.
    My Journal

Friday, September 9

TRAINING:
    Cardio
    Run, 3 miles @ 8:00 pace

Boxing(2min rounds)
    3 rounds shadow box
    2 rounds mitts
    1 round heavy bag
    3 rounds sparring w/Jake
    2 rounds heavy bag

Blah, Blah, Blah...Not bad. It's the end of the week and I'm worn down. Stamina and energy were lacking today. Sparring went ok. It's been a while since I've sparred on a regular basis, so got a little more winded than normal.
    My Journal

Saturday, September 10

SPEED BENCH:
    Bench
    180*3*8

5 Board Press
    265*6
    265*6

Pull-up
    15*6
    15*6

BB Row
    200*6
    200*6

Shoulder Press
    130*6
    130*6

BB Curl
    95*6
    95*6

Skull Crush
    105*6
    105*6

Blah, Blah, Blah...Weight 192.6...Feeling good. Feeling strong. I like it.
    My Journal

Been a fine week, went at it daily - looks great.