The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    DAMN! Ross has got some mad rope skills. I need to get to work.

My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Wednesday, February 8

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds speed bag
    2 rounds heavy bag

(2min rounds)
    1 round heavy bag
    2 rounds double end bag
    punchout ladder 10sec rest, 10sec work, 20r, 20w, 30r, 30w, 30r, 30w, 20r, 20w, 10r, 10w

Blah, Blah, Blah...A little tight and sore. Not real bad though. A session, or 2, and I'll be right back to where I was.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Bruteman View Post
    A little tight and sore. Not real bad though.
    No, not bad at all by any means.

That Ross is indeed ridiculous with the ropes, never seen anything like it.

Friday, February 10

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds heavy bag

(2min rounds)
    1 round heavy bag
    2 rounds precision bag-it kind of looks like a heavy bag, but it's real thin
    1 round heavy bag
    7 rounds sparring

Blah, Blah, Blah...Felt good. Some mostly light sparring against 3 different feller's. The one is a big, strong kid who is starting to get the hang of things. So during our second round I gave him a couple of short bursts of more intense sparring. Gotta' test/push these guys every once in a while.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    No, not bad at all by any means.

That Ross is indeed ridiculous with the ropes, never seen anything like it.
    Think I'm going to get me a real jump rope and start messing around some. Never really tried doing anthing too tricky. Think it would be fun, and it looks really cool too. lol
    My Journal

Monday, April 16

HEAVY DAY:
    A. Squat
    205*4
    205*4
    205*4
    205*4

B. Bench
    205*4
    205*4
    205*4
    205*4

C1. RDL
    195*8
    195*8

C2. Stand Calf
    5*10
    5*10

D1. Pull-up
    BW*8
    BW*6+2

D2. DB Shoulder Press
    45*8
    45*8

Finisher-100 Hammer Swings
    1:49 w/12lbs hammer [-24 sec]

Blah, Blah, Blah...I've been missing workouts, getting a bunch of little injuries and losing my desire to do anything anymore. I've reset all my weights way the heck back and am going to try and get on a roll again.
    My Journal

Tuesday, April 17

CARDIO:
    Run
    3.09 miles @ 8:14 pace

Boxing
    None

Blah, Blah, Blah...Limited time, so just ran. Felt good.
    My Journal

Wednesday, April 18

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds double end bag
    2 rounds speed bag
    2 rounds precision bag
    3 rounds heavy bag

Blah, Blah, Blah...Decent session. Pooped out some at the end. Need to start working on punch volume. Need to be more busy.
    My Journal

Very nice, a little something each day to resume things.

Thursday, April 19

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds w/30sec rests)
    2 rounds jump rope

GPP
    30sec * burpees
    30sec * jumping jacks
    30sec * high knee db press(5lb db's)
    30sec * shadow boxing
    -repeat 5 times with no rest between circuits

(3min rounds w/30sec rests)
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds slip rope
    2 rounds heavy bag

Blah, Blah, Blah...Went hard last 30sec of each round...Got it done. Was breathing heavy by the end. Arms and shoulders were unusually tight.
    My Journal

Very nice, a little something each day to resume things.
    That's the idea. Do at least a little something each day. Even if I don't feel like it, or have much time.
    My Journal

Friday, April 20

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds precision bag
    2 rounds double end bag
    3 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds speed bag
    punchout ladder-10sec rest, 10sec work, 20r, 20w, 30r,30w, 30r, 30w, 20r, 20w, 10r, 10w

Blah, Blah, Blah...Almost felt good.
    My Journal

Saturday, April 21

SPEED DAY:
    A. Box Squat
    120*3*5

B. Bench
    140*3*5

C1. Lunge
    140*8
    140*8

C2. 1 Leg Curl
    20*8
    20*8

D1. BB Row
    145*8
    145*8

D2. DB Inc Press
    50*8
    50*8

Finisher-DB Swings
    10*15*3

Blah, Blah, Blah...Super easy. Going to stick to the plan though. Bump the weights up slowly at first. After a few consistent weeks I'll bump them up closer to where they should be. Then I'll start to try and make some actual progress.
    My Journal

Monday, April 30

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds w/30sec rests)
    2 rounds jump rope

Work Capacity
    5 db snatches per arm(30lb db)
    5 db swings per arm(30lb db)
    10 burpees
    -repeat 5 times with 1min rest between circuits. Finished in 12:30.

(3min rounds w/30sec rests)
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds slip rope
    2 rounds heavy bag

Blah, Blah, Blah...Went hard last 30sec of each round...Ok, not great. Conditioning is lacking right now.
    Last edited by Bruteman; 05-01-2012 at 07:25 PM.
    My Journal

Tuesday, May 1

SPEED SQUAT/DEAD:
    Box Squat
    125*2*10

Dead Lift
    180*1*6

Lunge
    155*6
    155*6

Good Mornings
    100*6
    100*6

Stand Calves
    245*6
    245*6

Static Holds
    275*50sec
    275*50sec

Blah, Blah, Blah...Shut up. I know it's weak. The worst part is that the assistance lifts almost took some effort.
    My Journal

Wtf, all in a day's work dude, you should know that by now, lol.

In any case, glad to see the recent posts.

Thursday, May 3

SPEED BENCH:
    Bench
    145*3*6
    200*2
    210*2

Lockouts
    195*6
    195*6

V-Bar Pull-up
    5*6
    5*6

T-Bar Row
    120*6
    120*6

DB Shoulder Press
    55*6
    55*6

EZ Preacher Curl
    75*6
    75*6

Dips
    80*6
    80*6

Blah, Blah, Blah...More weakness. But I used good form. Was explosive. And got in there and got it done...A rare opportunity has possibly been given to me. I hope it has, cause it would be cool as hell in my opinion. For now just say a little prayer for me if you would.
    My Journal

Wtf, all in a day's work dude, you should know that by now, lol.

In any case, glad to see the recent posts.
    Bah! These workouts are humbling to post to say the least. But I will be patient, and stay the course, and the progress will come again. lol, starting to get a little more smarter in my old age.
    My Journal

Friday, May 4

TRAINING:
    Boxing(2min rounds)
    4 rounds jump rope
    2 rounds focus mitts
    10 rounds sparring

Blah, Blah, Blah...Good day. I was the sparring dummy for today. Sparred 4 different kids. Nothing too taxing. Mainly helping them work on stuff. The first and third kid were good enough I was able to work on a couple things myself.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Bruteman View Post
    A rare opportunity has possibly been given to me. I hope it has, cause it would be cool as hell in my opinion. For now just say a little prayer for me if you would.
    Hope this comes to fruition, you truly deserve it bro.

Saturday, May 5

HEAVY SQUAT/DEAD:
    Bottom Up Squat
    45*10
    135*5
    175*3
    185*3
    195*3
    205*3
    225*1
    240*1
    255*1

Oly Squat
    150*12
    150*12

1 Leg Curl
    55*12
    55*12

Stand Calf
    7.5*12
    7.5*12

Plate Pinch
    25's*34sec
    25's*36sec

Reverse Hypers
    BW*12
    BW*12

Blah, Blah, Blah...Weight 197.4...WooHoo. Actually got in and got a saturday workout done.
    My Journal

Hope this comes to fruition, you truly deserve it bro.
    Thanks. I'd bet those of you who know me some will be surprised, but not surprised at what it is.
    My Journal

Tuesday, May 8

HEAVY BENCH:
    Bench
    45*10
    135*5
    175*3
    185*3
    195*3
    205*3
    225*1
    240*1
    255*1

Flies
    50*12
    50*12

DB Pullover
    70*12
    70*12

DB Row
    70*12
    70*12

Side Cable Lateral ss/w Rear Cable Lateral
    5*12/5*12
    5*12/5*12

DB Inc Curl
    25*12
    25*12

1 Arm Pressdown
    25*12
    25*12

Blah, Blah, Blah...Got a heck of a pump...No session yesterday. My daughter came home from school and informed us she had a spring concert. She needed to be at school at 6:30. Gotta' love how kids keep you in the loop.
    My Journal

Solid benching and all Brian.

Wednesday, May 9

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds speed bag
    2 rounds precision bag
    8 rounds sparring

Blah, Blah, Blah...Again, sparring was just me helping kids figure out the sweet science. I'm sort of like a cross between focus mitts and out-n-out sparring. We're sparring, but I'm coaching them along the way. We start out just sparring. Then coach, or I, will notice something and tell them what to do, or look for in that situation. I'll let them practice it a few times slower, then at speed. It helps people when they can actually see the situation, rather than trying to visualize it like when hitting the mitts, or heavy bag, or shadow boxing.
    My Journal