The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinF View Post
    Just dropping in to say hi. Been a long time. Things are looking good in here!
    Howdy big man. It has been a while. I'm not as active on the board as I use to be, but I still keep posting my workouts.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Bruteman View Post
    Howdy big man. It has been a while. I'm not as active on the board as I use to be, but I still keep posting my workouts.
    Well keep posting, I need some motivation! Sessions are looking strong!
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

Solid training and conditioning man, you're in the driver's seat - make no mistake.

Thursday 10/1/09
    SPEED BENCH

BB warmup;

Bench 190*3*8
    Lockouts 255*8,7
    V-Bar Pullups 7.5*8,8
    T-Bar Row 150*8,7
    DB Shoulder Press 65*8,5
    EZ Preacher Curl 95*8,5
    Skull Crush 120*8,4

-Did this at the Community Center. Solid session.

Friday 10/2/09
    TRAINING

Boxing(3min rounds)
    2 rounds jump rope
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds double end bag
    2 rounds slip ball

-No running today. I'm running a race tomorrow with the wifey. Did a quick little session so as to not wear myself out.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

JustinF: I'll keep posting, but if you find what I do motivating you might need to get your head checked. lol

CoCoa: If you say so bud. I feel like this driver is too skinny and weak though. He needs some more ice cream and whoppers.
    My Journal

You all are running tomorrow, look forward to hearing about the race.

Saturday 10/3/09
    RACE

The Run A MUC 5K

-I finished in 24:34. I ran with my wife. I was actually suprised how good I felt considering I only run once a week anymore. Makes me curious how fast I could actually do it in.

Sunday 10/4/09
    HEAVY SQUAT/DEAD

BW warmup;

Squat 45*5, 135*5, 225*3, 275*3, 285*3, 295*3, 315*1, 325*1, 335*1, 345*1
    Front Squat 145*8,8
    1 Leg Curl 55*8,8
    Stand Calf 65*10,10
    Plate Pinch 25's*30sec,16sec
    Pull Throughs 60*8,8

-Weight 193.8...Good squat day for me.

Monday 10/5/09

-Had to work 12 hours. No time or energy to workout.

Tuesday 10/6/09

-Doctor checkup. Had to get the scripts refilled. No time for a workout again.

Wednesday 10/7/09
    TRAINING

Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds slip ball
    3 rounds heavy bag
    1 round double end bag
    3 rounds sparring w/Al

-Just a day.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    You all are running tomorrow, look forward to hearing about the race.
    Kind of wish I would've actually ran it. I wonder how fast I can finish a 5K right now. It was nice running with the wifey though. It seems like we don't get to do much together anymore.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Bruteman View Post
    Kind of wish I would've actually ran it. I wonder how fast I can finish a 5K right now. It was nice running with the wifey though. It seems like we don't get to do much together anymore.
    Sounds great...did very well in the race and with those squats too guy, make no mistake.
    Last edited by Coke; 10-08-2009 at 08:43 AM.

Thursday 10/8/09

-Missed this session cause the wife was ill. Had to hold the fort down so she could rest.

Friday 10/9/09
    TRAINING

Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds speed bag
    2 rounds double end bag
    4 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds slip ball

-Felt worn out. Performed well.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Sounds great...did very well in the race and with those squats too guy, make no mistake.
    Thanks bud. I guess all in all I'm doing ok considering how skinny I am/feel right now. I just hate the step back in strength I take when I'm this light. On the up side, my conditioning is up and my skills are on the rise.
    Last edited by Bruteman; 10-09-2009 at 07:57 PM.
    My Journal

Monday 10/19/09
    Off

-Worked 13 hours.

Tuesday 10/20/09
    HEAVY SQUAT/DEAD

Did some body weight stuff to warmup;

Rack Pulls 45*5, 135*5, 225*3, 315*3, 370*3, 385*3, 415*1, 430*1, 445*0, 445*0
    1 Leg Ext 95*12,12
    GHR(assisted) BW*7,4
    Angled Calf 110*12,11
    Supination Pronation 10*12,12
    Hyper Ext 35*12,12

-Not bad. Weak, but not bad. lol

Wednesday 10/21/09
    TRAINING

Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds speed bag
    3 rounds sparring w/Al
    2 rounds double end bag

-Felt good.

Thursday 10/22/09
    HEAVY BENCH

Did some lifts with the BB to warmup;

3 Board Press 45*5, 135*5, 225*3, 295*3, 305*3, 315*3, 335*1, 345*1, 355*0
    DB Inc Press 75*12,10
    Shrugs 270*12,9
    Pullups BW*12,7
    Rear Lat/Side Lat 20*12,12/17.5*12,6
    Con Curl 30*12,8
    Sit 1 Arm DB Ext 35*12,12

-Solid workout.

Friday 10/23/09
    TRAINING

Cardio(Running)
    20min

Boxing(3min rounds)
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds speed bag
    3 rounds heavy bag
    1 round double end bag
    2 rounds slip ball

-Had my usual friday lethargicness going on.

Saturday 10/24/09
    SPEED SQUAT/DEAD

body weight warmup;

Box Squat 205*2*8, 275*2, 290*2
    Dead Lift 265*1*6
    Oly Squat 235*6,6
    Good Mornings 135*6,6
    Stand Calves 380*6,6
    Static Holds 405*16sec,11sec

-Weight 194.8...Another solid session...Somewhere along the line I lost the file that had all my PR numbers in it. Rather than search for them all I'm just going to start over tracking them.
    My Journal

Have been sick all week. All I did was work and sleep. Feeling much better now. Will start back up on Monday.
    My Journal

Monday 11/2/09

Did half a boxing session.

Tuesday 11/3/09

-Parent/Teacher conference. Didn't have time to workout.

Wednesday 11/4/09

-Worked 12 hours. No time to workout again.

Thursday 11/5/09
    HEAVY SQUAT/DEAD

BW warmup;

Rack Pulls 45*5, 135*5, 225*3, 315*3, 375*3, 385*3, 405*1, 415*1, 425*1, 435*1
    DB Lunge 65*12,12
    1 Leg Curl 65*12,9
    Stand Calf 20*12,11
    Plate Pinch 25's*32sec,24sec
    Pull Throughs #14*12,12

-Good session I guess. It's hard to accept a 435 rack pull when 6 months ago I pulled 500. I feel soo weak and little right now. And to top it off, I've been missing a crap load of workouts lately. Being sick, work and all the other stuff life likes to throw at ya'. Hopefully it has all run its course now and I can get back on track.
    My Journal

The main thing bro....is you got a workout in. That's great. I too, know all too well about balancing work/family/gym ... and life. hahaha

Keep at it mate. Keep at it.

Cheers.
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

Glad to see you got that session in with so much going on.

Friday 11/6/09
    TRAINING

Cardio(Running)
    20min

Boxing(3min rounds)
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds speed bag
    3 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds double end bag
    1 round slip ball

-Felt better than expected.
    My Journal

BULK BOY: It is a balancing act isn't it? For the most part life cooperates, but every once in a while it likes to remind you who is actually in charge. Seems like at least twice a year I have a "when it rains, it pours" period of time. Meetings, sickness, work, appointments and what have you, all seem to be bunched together within a short period of time and it throws a wrench into any progress I might actually be making. That's what makes life fun and interesting though I guess.

CoCoa: You know I'm going to squeeze a session in if I can. I refuse to let life get in the way in the long run. I will eternally forge on in hopes of being the worlds most bad ass grandpa.
    My Journal

Saturday 11/7/09
    HEAVY BENCH

BB warmup;

3 Board Press 45*5, 135*5, 225*3, 280*3, 290*3, 300*3, 320*1, 330*1, 340*1, 350*1
    Flies 50*12,12
    DB Pullover 90*12,9
    DB Row 90*12,9
    Cable Side/Rear Lat #2*12,12/#2*12,7
    DB Inc Curl 35*12,7
    1 Arm Pressdown #5*12,10

-Weight 194.8...350 went up strong. Had a serious pump going on from the assistance work.
    My Journal

Solid looking workout there mate.
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

Monday 11/9/09
    TRAINING

Boxing(3min rounds w/punchouts)
    2 rounds jump rope

Conditioning(Magic 50)
    5 DB snatches
    5 DB swings
    10 burpees
    -Repeat circuit 5 times with 1min rests between circuits. Used a 30lb DB.

Boxing(3min rounds w/punchouts)
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds slip rope
    4 rounds heavy bag

-Got the ol' heart pumpin' good today.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by BULK_BOY View Post
    Solid looking workout there mate.
    Why thank ya'. I'm always good for a "good" session. I would just like to have "amazing" workouts more often. They seem to be few and far between lately.
    My Journal

Tuesday 11/10/09
    SPEED SQUAT/DEAD

BW warmup;

Box Squat 170*2*10
    Power Clean 185*1*6
    BB Hack Squat 350*6,6
    RDL 295*6,6
    Angled Calves 275*6,6
    Wrist Roller 10*2,2

-Holy cow! Actually felt like I was accomplishing something today.
    My Journal

Always a nice groove going with things son, hope you all are doing fine.

Wednesday 11/11/09
    TRAINING

Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds double end bag
    2 rounds slip ball
    1 round speed bag

-A ho hum workout. Started out good, but then started taking rounds off to watch sparring at the end. The last 4 rounds or so were really spaced out.
    My Journal