The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Geometheus-Welcome and thanks. I do a fake meet every 2 months or so to test where I'm at. I usually make it the only workout I do during a deload week.

CoCoa-It's been a while since I posted some. Plus I needed to post some up for the "Strongest of the weak ones" thread/contest.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Bruteman View Post
    Felt d@mn good.
    Looks damn good too, lol.

Tuesday 12/1/09
    Off

-Had to work 12hrs.

Wednesday 12/2/09
    Off

-Partly tired from yesterday, but I couldn't really fit a workout into my schedule today anyways.

Thursday 12/3/09
    HEAVY SQUAT/DEAD

BW warmup;

Dead Lift 45*5, 135*5, 225*3, 315*3, 350*3, 365*3, 395*1, 410*1, 425*1, 440*0
    1 Leg Ext 100*12,12
    GHR(assisted) BW*7+4negatives,4+3negatives
    Angled Calf 115*12,10
    Supination Pronation 12.5*7,6
    Hyper Ext 40*12,10

-A goood session. Legs a little tired from work.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Looks damn good too, lol.
    Things are on the climb again lately. Been feeling much better during all my workouts. I've been making an effort to eat a little more during the day and it's been paying off.
    My Journal

Friday 12/4/09
    TRAINING

Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds double end bag
    2 rounds speed bag
    2 rounds slip ball

-Decent workout. I could tell it's been almost 2 weeks since my last boxing session though.
    My Journal

Saturday 12/5/09
    HEAVY BENCH

BB warmup;

2 Board Press 45*8, 135*4, 225*3, 275*3, 285*3, 295*3, 315*1, 325*1, 335*1, 345*1
    DB Inc Press 75*12,12
    Shrugs 270*12,12
    Pullups BW*12,7
    Rear Lat/Side Lat 25*12,12/17.5*12,8
    Con Curl 30*12,8
    Sit 1 Arm DB Ext 37.5*12,11

-Weight 196.2...Had a small headache. Decent session none the less.
    My Journal

I know it can be difficult to check everything off the list, but I do hope you can keep the boxing in along with the weights.

Session does look very nice guy.
    Last edited by Coke; 12-05-2009 at 08:09 PM.

Monday 12/7/09
    TRAINING

Boxing(3min rounds)
    2 rounds jump rope

Conditioning(Magic 50)
    5 db snatches per arm
    5 db swings per arm
    10 burpees
    -Repeat circuit 5 times w/1min rests between circuits. Used a 30lb db.

Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds speed bag
    3 rounds heavy bag

-Felt tight, especially in the shoulders...Did this at the community center. Got some looks while doing the circuit and hitting the bags.

Tuesday 12/8/09
    SPEED SQUAT/DEAD

body weight warmup;

Box Squat 175*2*8, 285*2, 300*2
    Dead Lift 260*1*6
    Leg Press 450*6, 540*6
    Good Mornings 145*6,6
    Stand Calves 390*6,6
    Static Holds 405*16sec,10sec

-Ok session.
    My Journal

I know it can be difficult to check everything off the list, but I do hope you can keep the boxing in along with the weights.

Session does look very nice guy.
    Boxing isn't going anywhere. Don't worry. But from thanksgiving until new years sessions are going to be missed whether I like it or not. Plays, family gatherings, work, etc get hectic during that time as I'm sure you all know.
    My Journal

Thursday 12/10/09
    SPEED BENCH

BB warmup;

Bench 195*3*8
    Lockouts(hole #8) 275*6,6
    V-Bar Pullups 12.5*6,6
    T-Bar Row 165*6,6
    DB Shoulder Press 70*6,5
    EZ Preacher Curl 105*6,4
    Skull Crush 130*6,4

-Pooped out at the end.

Friday 12/11/09
    TRAINING

Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds speed bag
    2 rounds double end bag
    3 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds slip ball

-Weight 196.8...Ok workout.

Monday 12/14/09<---woohoo. another year older.
    TRAINING

Boxing(3min rounds w/punchouts)
    2 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds slip rope
    3 rounds heavy bag

GPP#2
    burpees*30sec
    jumping jacks*30sec
    split jumps*30sec
    burpees*30sec
    jumping jacks*30sec
    mountain climbers*30sec
    -repeat 5 times w/30sec rests between rounds.

-Conditioning sucks!

Tuesday 12/15/09
    HEAVY BENCH

BB warmup;

2 Board Press 45*5, 135*5, 225*3, 280*3, 290*3, 300*3, 320*1, 330*1, 340*1, 350*1
    Flies 60*12,12
    DB Pullover 90*12,12
    DB Row 90*12,12
    Cable Side/Rear Lat #2.5*12,9/#2*12,10
    DB Inc Curl 35*12,9
    1 Arm Pressdown #5*12,12

-Real good session. Only thing was the kid spotting me helped on the 350. I think I could've ground it out, but now I don't know for sure.

Wednesday 12/16/09
    TRAINING

Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    1 round double end bag
    3 rounds sparring w/Al
    2 rounds sparring w/Shana

-Took longer than normal to loosen up.
    Last edited by Bruteman; 12-16-2009 at 05:52 PM.
    My Journal

Really going at it, great update man.

Thursday 12/17/09

SPEED SQUAT/DEAD:
    Box Squat
    195*2*10

Power Clean
    185*1*6

BB Hack Squat +5lbs
    355*6
    355*6

RDL +5lbs
    300*6
    300*6

Angled Calves +5lbs
    280*6
    280*6

Wrist Roller +2.5lbs
    12.5*2
    12.5*1.5

Blah, Blah, Blah...Not bad. A tad lethargic feeling...I mentioned before, I lost the file with all my PR's in it. I've started keeping track again and will make note of any improvements weight wise, or rep wise.
    My Journal

Really going at it, great update man.
    You know I don't ever rest. I'll die with a bar in my hand and a heavy bag by my side. lol
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Bruteman View Post
    You know I don't ever rest. I'll die with a bar in my hand and a heavy bag by my side. lol
    Now that's a good one, lol -

Friday 12/18/09

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    1 round heavy bag
    2 rounds sparring w/Mike
    1 round double end bag

Weight

Blah, Blah, Blah...That was the hardest I've sparred in years. 2 rounds with him was more taxing than 6 rounds with anyone else I've been sparring lately. He weighs as much, if not a little more, than me and knows his way around the ring. It was awesome getting to spar with him. Coach even finally got a video camera for the gym, so I got to watch tape afterwards. I haven't seem myself on tape since my fight 4yrs ago. There is a drawback here. I now have bruised, or broken, ribs on my left side. I don't think they are broke really, but they hurt like hell. So no lifting or training for at least a few days. Heck, I can't even sit down, stand up, or breath without pain at the moment. Good stuff I tell ya'. lol Don't get the wrong idea. We both know the risks of hard sparring and we started out light. But by silent, mutual agreement we went as hard as we felt comfortable going. We both just felt up to some good hard sparring. And for the record he put me down twice with the same body shot(on the side of the body at the bottom of the ribs). Hence the banged up ribs. The first time hurt of course, but taking a second one is what really did the damage. Both times it was at the end of the round and he admitted it was mostly just a desparation punch cause he was getting tired. I need to start paying a little closer attention, so I can block it with my elbow. That's the only defense, cause no one can just take a shot there. More than a few fights have been ended with it. Micky Ward was notorious for hurting people with it.
    My Journal

Good read man, sparring is about being able to prevent the other guy from taking you out with brutal shots.

Good read man, sparring is about being able to prevent the other guy from taking you out with brutal shots.
    haha, my coach keeps talking about this thing called "defense". Something about blocking and/or moving out of the way of punches. Sounds interesting. I'll have to look into it.
    My Journal

Blah, Blah, Blah...Haven't done anything workout wise yet. Still have some tightness and "wanting to cramp"-ness in the area, but it is feeling much better. May do something on thursday....They were doing free body fat testing at the gym, so I gotz tested. I've always been curious where I was at roughly, and I'm currently leaner than I've ever been. They said I'm at 8.8%. I'd say that's a little low, but close. It's hard to say though because the absolute last place for me to lose fat is my belly. So even though I'm looking really lean everywhere else, I still don't have abb's. I'll take some pics here soon and let you judge. The end of january, or beginning of february, would be a good time. I should be back in the groove with things and have lost any holiday bloat by then....Well that's all for now. So Merry Christmas to all, or hanakawanzakamas to be politically anal, I mean correct.
    My Journal

I'm currently small, weak and out of shape, busy as heck at work, and lack energy to train. Trained sporadically for a few weeks, not at all for 2 weeks, and am now in the process of getting back into it. Have cut things way back and am going to slowly add more to the equation each week. Partly so I can work my work capacity back up, and partly so I can see how much I can handle at this juncture of my life. Here's what I've done this week:
    Monday-
    TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    2 rounds jump rope
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds slip rope

Tuesday-
    LOWER BODY 2:
    Dead Lift
    300*8
    300*8

Lunge
    175*8
    175*8

Donkey Calf
    105*10
    105*10

Wrist Roller
    10*2
    10*2

Thursday-
    UPPER BODY 3:
    Inc Press
    170*8
    170*8

V-Bar Pullup
    5*8
    5*8

Shrugs
    250*10
    250*10

DB Inc Curl
    30*8
    30*8

Friday-
    TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    2 rounds jump rope
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds slip rope
    My Journal

Hello dude, glad to see you at it.

Tuesday 5/4/10

SPEED BENCH:
    Bench
    185*3*8
    245*2
    270*2

5 Board Press
    265*6
    265*6

Pullups
    10*6
    10*6

BB Row
    205*6
    205*6

Shoulder Press
    115*6
    115*6

BB Curl
    90*6
    90*6

Dips
    95*6
    95*6

Blah, Blah, Blah...Felt good. That's a step in the right direction.
    My Journal

Hello dude, glad to see you at it.
    Hey buddy. It's a struggle right now to git 'r done. You know I'm trying though.
    My Journal

Monday, July 12

CONDITIONING:
    Magic 50
    5 db snatches per arm
    5 db swings per arm
    10 burpees
    rest 1min & repeat 4 more times

-finished in 12:37 using a 30lb db.

Farmers Walks
    3*fail w/1min rests between attempts

-went a total of 2.5 lengths of the back yard with the 110's.

Blah, Blah, Blah...Jumped rope for 4min to warm up. Stretched to cool down...I'm in horrible shape, I'm weak, and about as flexible as a steel post. All I've been doing for the past 2, or 3, months is working and sleeping. It's driving me nuts and I can't stand it. I don't even feel like myself anymore. On top of that I wrecked the truck and am now driving a little turd of a car(a Cobalt), and I'm hovering around 190lbs in my clothes. I don't think I even qualify as a man now, do I? Instead of "Bruteman" I'm "Pussbitch". I've tried a few times to get back in a groove with what I was doing, but it just ain't happening. So I'm going to go to something very different(for me) and see if that can help get things kick started.
    My Journal

Tuesday, July 13

TRAINING:
    Boxing(2min rounds)
    4 rounds jump rope
    4 rounds shadow box
    4 rounds heavy bag
    3 rounds slip ball
    2 rounds speed bag
    3 rounds double end bag

Blah, Blah, Blah...Felt decent. Started to poop out at the end.
    My Journal

Everyone goes on hiatus, it's inevitable...you will find a new groove and be better for it.

Seeing you picking up and moving on again is great Brian.