The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Monday, August 23

TRAINING:
    Cardio(Running)
    20min

Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    4 rounds heavy bag
    3 rounds slip rope

Blah, Blah, Blah...Went just a bit harder than going through the motions.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Tuesday, August 24

SPEED BENCH:
    Bench
    165*3*8
    220*2
    235*2

5 Board Press
    225*6
    225*6

Pullups
    5*6
    5*3

BB Row
    145*6
    145*6

Shoulder Press
    100*6
    100*6

BB Curl
    70*6
    70*6

Dips
    50*6
    50*6

Blah, Blah, Blah...Weakness galore. Some things felt light, some heavy, but overall I guessed pretty well what weight I should use on everything.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Thursday, August 26

HEAVY SQUAT/DEAD:
    Squat
    45*5
    135*5
    225*3
    230*3
    240*3
    250*3

1 Leg Ext
    70*12
    70*12

GHR(assisted)
    BW*6
    BW*3+2negatives

Donkey Calf
    90*12
    90*12

Supination Pronation
    7.5*12
    7.5*12

Blah, Blah, Blah...Weak and inflexible. Nothing more to say really. ...No workout yesterday due to working 12hrs.
    My Journal

Friday, August 27

CONDITIONING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow box
    3 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds speed bag
    1 round slip ball

GPP
    Burpees * 30sec
    Jumping Jacks * 30sec
    High Knee DB Press(5lbs db's) * 30sec
    Shadow Box * 30sec
    -complete circuit 5 times

Blah, Blah, Blah...Went hard last 30sec of each round...*peels self off floor and takes shower*
    My Journal

Saturday, August 28

HEAVY BENCH:
    Bench
    45*6
    135*5
    195*3
    205*3
    215*3
    225*3

DB Inc Press
    50*12
    50*12

Shrugs
    225*12
    225*12

Pullups
    BW*8
    BW*4

Rear Lat/Side Lat
    15*12/15*12
    15*12/15*6

Con Curl
    20*12
    20*12

Sit 1 Arm DB Ext
    25*12
    25*12

Blah, Blah, Blah...Weight 194.6<--post w/o...Not bad. Almost feel like someone who works out again.
    My Journal

Lifting and conditioning is looking solid Brian...hoping at get at you soon.

Monday, August 30

TRAINING:
    Cardio(Running)
    20min

Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    4 rounds heavy bag
    3 rounds slip rope

Blah, Blah, Blah...Starting to feel much better already.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Lifting and conditioning is looking solid Brian...hoping at get at you soon.
    The craziness at work is settling down, and I was getting fed up with not working out. So I just decided to start working out again like I never quit. Forget easing into it. Like the famous Nike comercials use to say, I just did it. Plus, coach keeps trying to egg me into fighting. There is a masters class(35+) now and he knows he can get me a fight. Good grief. I'm a "Master". When did that happen. lol
    My Journal

Tuesday, Ausust 31

SPEED SQUAT/DEAD:
    Box Squat
    150*2*8
    240*2
    255*2

Dead Lift
    210*1*6

Lunge
    175*6
    175*6

Good Mornings
    95*6
    95*6

Stand Calves
    295*6
    295*6

Static Holds
    315*48sec
    315*34sec

Blah, Blah, Blah...I can hear you laughing. Yet again, a weak, but good session.
    My Journal

Wednesday, September 1

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow box
    3 rounds speed bag
    3 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds double end bag

Blah, Blah, Blah...I was pooped out at the end.
    My Journal

Thursday, September 2

SPEED BENCH:
    Bench
    165*3*8

Lockouts
    205*6
    205*6

V-Bar Pullups
    BW*6
    BW*6

V-Bar Cable Row
    135*6
    135*6

DB Shoulder Press
    50*6
    50*6

EZ Preacher Curl
    65*6
    65*6

Skull Crush
    85*6
    85*6

Blah, Blah, Blah...Good session. Everything felt light.
    My Journal

Friday, September 3

CONDITIONING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    2 rounds jump rope

Conditioning
    5 db snatches(per arm)
    5 db swings(per arm)
    10 burpees
    -complete circuit 5 times with 1min rests between circuits.

Boxing(2min rounds)
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    5 rounds sparring

Blah, Blah, Blah...Used a 15lbs db for the conditioning. That's the heaviest one they had at the club. There were some adjustable ones, but they disappeared with their owner apparently. I had absolutely no energy tonight. Was dreading doing any heavy bag work. So when coach asked me to spar with a bunch of newbies I was all for it. Went 2 rounds with one guy, 1 with another, and 2 with a girl. Basically let them do all the work. I just kept moving and pumping my jab out once in a while to keep them honest.
    My Journal

Always good seeing you in stride with it guy, keep it up.

Wednesday, September 8

Had a 4 day weekend. Didn't workout, just spent time with the family.

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds heavy bag

(2min rounds)
    3 rounds speed bag
    3 rounds slip ball

Blah, Blah, Blah...Felt like crap.
    My Journal

Thursday, September 9

SPEED SQUAT/DEAD:
    Box Squat
    165*2*10

Power Clean
    150*1*6

BB Hack Squat
    225*6
    225*6

RDL
    225*6
    225*6

Donkey Calves
    275*6
    275*6

Wrist Roller
    5*2
    5*2

Blah, Blah, Blah...Was stronger than I thought I'd be at these moves. Still not very flexible, but am improving in that area.
    My Journal

Friday, September 10

CONDITIONING:
    Boxing(3min rounds w/punchouts)
    2 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds slip bag

(2min rounds)
    4 rounds light sparring

Conditioning
    Burpees * 30sec
    Jumping Jacks * 30sec
    Split Jumps * 30sec
    Burpees * 30sec
    Jumping Jacks * 30sec
    Mountain Climbers * 30sec
    Rest * 30sec
    -Complete circuit 5 times. I only did 3.

Blah, Blah, Blah...Started out strong. Finished weak. I suppose that is to be expected when you're old and out of shape.
    My Journal

Always good seeing you in stride with it guy, keep it up.
    Thanks Coke.

Just getting my stride back and there's a hickup in the near future. My afternoon counterpart at work put his 2 week resignation in. So there are some 12hr days ahead of me I'm guessing. The guy I'm training is smart and learns quickly, but I don't know about learning my job in 2 weeks. I figure they'll have me train him for 4 weeks which should make him competent enough to do the job, and able to learn the rest of it on the fly. So that's 2 weeks of 12's. Bad for working out, but good for Christmas. hehe
    My Journal

No joke, the extra hours on the job is good for overtime but everything else takes a back seat...no doubt you'll be doing the best you can with this new development. Wish you the best bro.

Saturday, September 11

SPEED BENCH:
    Bench
    165*3*8
    220*2
    235*2

5 Board Press
    230*6
    230*6

Pullups
    5*6
    5*5

BB Row
    155*6
    155*6

Shoulder Press
    105*6
    105*6

BB Curl
    80*6
    80*6

Dips
    55*6
    55*6

Blah, Blah, Blah...I'm bumping up the weights slowly, but can feel the strength coming back quickly.
    My Journal

No joke, the extra hours on the job is good for overtime but everything else takes a back seat...no doubt you'll be doing the best you can with this new development. Wish you the best bro.
    I've only worked a 40hr week twice this year. And due to vacations/holidays I've had a few more 40hr checks. I'm currently on pace to make more this year, by myself, than me and my wife usually make combined. I won't complain about the overtime though. It puts a strain on time, but it is way better than being broke and unemployed.
    My Journal

Monday, December 27

Hi! Remember me? I'm still alive and kickin'. Went on a long stint of no working out. Tried altering my workouts to accomodate everyone, and thing, better. That ended up being me doing next to nothing. So said the hell with it and started doing what got me to where I was happy before. Still a jack-of-all trades master-of-none. Still set lifting and boxing/conditioning goals for myself. I just accept that unless I decide to focus on one area I'll never be quite as strong as you guys who out and out powerlift, and never be in quite as good of shape as you cardio whores. But don't get arrogant, cause I'll always be nipping at your heels. lol Currently I'm in decent shape and strength is so-so, for me.

TRAINING:
    Cardio(Treadmill)
    20min @ 7MPH w/2% incline

Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds heavy bag
    3 rounds speed bag

Blah, Blah, Blah...No energy. Was expected though. Slept and puked all day thursday, sat and stared at the walls all day friday, and finally started to eat again on saturday. I'm probably still a tad dehydrated.
    My Journal

Welcome back, never seen your journal before, nice to see someone with multi-discipline goals mate
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

welcome back man!
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Tuesday, December 28

SPEED BENCH:
    Bench
    185*3*8
    255*2
    270*2

5 Board Press
    255*6
    255*6

Pullups
    BW*6
    BW*6

BB Row
    185*6
    185*6

Shoulder Press
    120*6
    120*6

BB Curl
    85*6
    85*6

Dips
    80*6
    80*6

Blah, Blah, Blah...Good session. For the most part stuff felt light.
    Last edited by Bruteman; 12-28-2010 at 06:02 PM.
    My Journal

Kiff-"multi-discipline goals" sounds much better than how I refer to it. Usually refer to myself as the king of mediocrity. lol Welcome to the journal chief.

cphafner-Thanks man. I'd like to post here more often, but you know how it is. That whole "life" thing seems to push it down on the priority list. As I've said before, posting here gives me a sense of accountability for my workouts. I always make better progress knowing you all are watching.
    My Journal