The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Saturday, February 5

HEAVY SQUAT/DEAD:
    Squat
    45*8
    135*3
    225*3
    245*3
    255*3
    265*3
    285*1
    295*1
    305*1
    315*1

1 Leg Ext
    90*12
    90*10

GHR(assisted)
    BW*7
    BW*3+2negatives

Angled Calf
    105*12
    105*11

Supination Pronation
    12.5*10
    12.5*8

Hyper Ext
    40*12
    40*10

Blah, Blah, Blah...Weight 197.6...Not great, not bad, just eh.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Way to be stepping up the pace Brian, looks good.

Monday, February 7

TRAINING:
    Cardio
    Run, 20min.

Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds speed bag
    3 rounds heavy bag

Blah, Blah, Blah...Didn't feel too bad.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Way to be stepping up the pace Brian, looks good.
    Thanks. Almost back up to old strength levels. The posterior chain seems to be lagging behind the rest of the body, but it also seems to atrophy the most when not worked consistently.
    My Journal

Tuesday, February 8

HEAVY BENCH:
    Bench
    45*10
    135*5
    225*3
    250*3
    260*3
    270*3
    290*1
    300*1
    310*1
    320*1
    330*0

DB Inc Press
    65*12
    65*12

Shrugs
    240*12
    240*12

Pullups
    BW*10
    BW*6

Rear Lat/Side Lat
    22.5*12/15*12
    22.5*12/15*6

Con Curl
    25*12
    25*11

Sit 1 Arm DB Ext
    32.5*12
    32.5*12

Blah, Blah, Blah...WOW! It's amazing. If you don't work 13hrs on Monday you actually feel good on Tuesday. 330 was sooooooo close. All I needed was those last 2 inches. Dude let me try too. Most people grab the bar as soon as you stall. He let me grind at it for a while. Just don't have that lockout power back yet.
    My Journal

The heavy bench is very nice guy, props.

The lockout will return Nice work.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Wednesday, February 9

TRAINING:
    Boxing(2min rounds)
    4 rounds jump rope
    4 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds speed bag
    5 rounds sparring w/Al
    3 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds double end bag

Blah, Blah, Blah...Felt much better today. Sparring was light. Was trying to get Al to work on his inside game...My brain is fried apparently. I can't for the life of me remember how many rounds I did of anything. I know it's not that important, but it's driving me nuts as I try and type this up.

CoCoa:
    Thanks. Was feeling good. Felt strong and solid on all my attempts.

Kiff:
    I know, but like everyone else, I WANT IT NOW! lol
    Last edited by Bruteman; 02-09-2011 at 06:14 PM.
    My Journal

Thursday, February 10

SPEED SQUAT/DEAD:
    Box Squat
    170*2*8
    255*2
    270*2

Dead Lift
    230*1*6

Lunge
    190*6
    190*6

Good Mornings
    110*6
    110*6

Stand Calves
    325*6
    325*6

Static Holds
    315*30sec
    315*30sec

Blah, Blah, Blah...Kickin' names and takin' @ss! er, wait. what? Seriously though, feelin' good lately. Have been making an effort to get my stretching in, and really forcing the stretches. Flexibility, and overall well being, is much improved.
    My Journal

Friday, February 11

CONDITIONING:
    Boxing(2min rounds w/punchouts)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds slip ball
    2 rounds double end bag
    3 rounds heavy bag
    1 round speed bag

GPP
    1 round burpees(27)<---pathetic

Blah, Blah, Blah...Starting to feel like teh Bruteman again, but my conditioning is just plain sad(for me). I'll have to search through my old journal, but I'm pretty sure 27 is a record low. lol
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Bruteman View Post
    I'll have to search through my old journal, but I'm pretty sure 27 is a record low.
    It doesn't really matter, because you are moving forward and preparing to set new conditioning highs.

Glad to see you in a fine groove with the lifting man.

Saturday, February 12

SPEED BENCH:
    Bench
    185*3*8

CG Bench
    225*6
    225*6

V-Bar Pullups
    20*6
    20*5

T-Bar Row
    140*6
    140*6

DB Shoulder Press
    65*6
    65*6

EZ Preacher Curl
    95*6
    95*6

Skull Crush
    110*6
    110*6

Blah, Blah, Blah...Weight 200.4...Feelin' good yo'! I want to do lockouts instead of close grips, but haven't been able to. There's always someone in the cage. My backup lift is turning into my main lift. hehe

CoCoa:
    I know. And you're right. I do always end up a little higher after each "restart" I have. This makes 6 weeks of consistent lifting now and I can tell. I feel like myself again. For the record I looked and I only managed to get 26 burpees in a 2min round before, so it wasn't a record low like I thought.
    My Journal

Tuesday, February 15

HEAVY SQUAT/DEAD:
    Squat
    45*10
    135*5
    225*3
    255*3
    265*3
    275*3
    295*1
    305*1
    315*1
    325*1

Leg Press
    360*12
    360*12

1 Leg Curl
    60*12
    60*12

Stand Calf
    22.5*12
    22.5*10

Plate Pinch
    25's*24sec
    25's*31sec

Pull Throughs
    #13*12
    #13*12

Blah, Blah, Blah...Still feeling good. Still can't squat. Still fed up with it.
    My Journal

Those are actually good squats bro, 3pps+ is not the norm.

Wednesday, February 16

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds speed bag
    3 rounds heavy bag
    3 rounds double end bag

Blah, Blah, Blah...Feeling worn down today.

CoCoa:
    Bah! You and your d@mn silver lining. lol I gues my squats and deads match up about right. I just have a somewhat freakishly strong bench compared to them.
    My Journal

Thursday, February 17

HEAVY BENCH:
    Bench
    45*10
    135*5
    225*3
    255*3
    265*3
    275*3
    295*1
    305*1
    315*1
    325*1

Flies
    60*12
    60*12

DB Pullover
    90*10
    90*10

DB Row
    90*12
    90*9

Cable Side/Rear Lat
    #2.5*12/#2*12
    #2.5*9/#2*12

DB Inc Curl
    35*12
    35*8

1 Arm Pressdown
    #5*12
    #5*10

Blah, Blah, Blah...Real good session. Felt strong and stable on all bench attempts...It was actually warm out today and the gym apparently didn't turn down the heat. I was sweating my nuts off.
    My Journal

You and your d@mn silver lining. lol
    That ain't no joke, my own father told me that when I was just a kid, lol.

Huge day on the bench, whole effort is tight.

Friday, February 18

CONDITIONING:
    Boxing(2min rounds w/punchouts)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds heavy bag
    3 rounds slip ball
    2 rounds double end bag
    3 rounds sparring w/Al

GPP
    none.

Blah, Blah, Blah...Got to the club late, so no gpp. No punchouts during the sparring of course. Sparring went well. I'm a little rusty. Reflexes were a little slow, punches not as crisp, judging distance was off, the usual stuff...I noticed my game has improved over the years today for some reason. Just one of those moments where the universe stopped, I stepped back from myself, and took stock of everything. Like just now I said I was rusty. Even so, I was landing and picking my punches, my defense was decent, and I was staying loose. If I could transport this "rusty" version of me back to 2005 and fight the version of me getting ready for that first fight, it would be no contest. I was in fantastic shape for my first fight, but I would brutally beat 2005 me down. Goodness. That was 6 freaking years ago. I'm getting old. But better with time. Does that mean I'm like wine? or do whine? or something like that. I'm rambling now. Guess I should go. Bye!
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    That ain't no joke, my own father told me that when I was just a kid, lol...
    That's a good thing. Don't ever lose it kid.
    My Journal

Starting to feel like teh Bruteman again
    That is what I like to hear.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Wednesday, February 23

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds heavy bag
    1 round mitts
    2 rounds speed bag
    2 rounds slip ball
    1 rounds double end bag

Blah, Blah, Blah...Things are starting to flow better...Deload week this week, so no lifting. Well, I may do my little "fake meet" thing on Saturday. Not sure though.

cphafner:
    Dude. That is how I like to feel.
    Last edited by Bruteman; 02-23-2011 at 06:31 PM.
    My Journal

Tuesday, March 1

SPEED BENCH:
    Bench
    195*3*6
    260*2
    280*2

5 Board Press
    265*6
    265*6

Pullups
    10*6
    10*6

BB Row
    195*6
    195*6

Shoulder Press
    130*6
    130*6

BB Curl
    95*6
    95*6

Dips
    95*6
    95*6

Blah, Blah, Blah...Killed it. Good first workout after a deload...My deload turned into a no load practically. The only thing I did last week was box on wednesday. Not what I planned, but oh well.
    My Journal

Good stuff there, staying on the mark dude.

Tuesday, March 2

TRAINING:
    Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds speed bag

(2min rounds)
    2 rounds defensive sparring
    2 rounds double end bag

Blah, Blah, Blah...Was feeling tired and worn out when I walked into the club. I started moving around a little and ended up having a pretty good session. Calling it "defensive sparring" cause all I did was block, move and let her beat on me. It was a young ladies first time sparring and that's what I was told to do...On a sad personal note, my dad has been diagnosed with luekemia. Don't know what kind, or how far along it is yet. He's got some tests this week and next that'll figure that out. Just hoping for the best right now.

CoCoa:
    Yup. Didn't even miss a beat. In fact I just feel refreshed and ready to make some more progress.
    My Journal

Hope your Dad's medical condition is a manageable one, sorry to hear the news man.