The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

A Father, a Fighter and a Lifter

Don't know if I've actually balanced being/doing all this yet, but I'm trying. I'm young enough to keep bustin' ass in the gym, old enough to know I need to be smart about it and ,hopefully, wise enough to know, and accept, that the father thing takes precedence over everything. Due to that last one I often come to halts in progress, and even regress quite often. Over the years I have slowly gotten stronger/better, but it has been a long, slow, hard fought process. I'm currently around 193lbs and fairly lean. Thanks in large part to my new job which is very physical, in a cardio sense. Strength is ok, bench around 320, squat around 350 and pull around 440. Have been taking fish oil and some joint crap to help with my knees, but my right one still bugs me some(again, thanks to my job). Don't know why I started a new journal. I guess because even though things haven't changed, they have. There's this mental line in my head between what I was doing and what I'm doing now, so a new journal seemed like a good idea. As for competing in anything, it's not in the plans, but not out of the question. If things fall into place and the planets line up right, I would gladly accept the challange of competition.

OK, enough bable. I'll put up some current photo's later. Here's this weeks workouts so far. As a side note, I have been lifting at home again.

Monday 8/3/09
    TRAINING

Conditioning(Fast&Furious)
    10 pullups
    10 db swings per arm(25lb db)
    10 plyo pushups
    10 knee tucks
    -Perform circuit as many times as possible in 20min. I got 7 rds in.

Boxing(3min rounds w/30sec punchouts at the end of each round)
    2 rounds jump rope
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds slip rope
    4 rounds heavy bag

-Fast & Furious is the name given to that circuit in Ross Enamait's book Infinite Intensity. It is tough as hell.

Tuesday 8/4/09
    SPEED SQUAT/DEAD

5min jog warmup;

Box Squat 170*5*5
    Power Clean 185*1*5
    Lunge 135*8,8
    RDL 270*8,8
    Stand Calves 340*10,8
    Static Holds 315*54sec,30sec

-Ok w/o. Cleans felt heavy and so did calves.

Wednesday 8/5/09
    TRAINING

Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds double end bag
    2 rounds sparring w/Al
    2 rounds mitts

-Legs were sore, but felt good. Even feel ready to fight again possibly.

Thursday 8/6/09
    SPEED BENCH

5min shadow box warmup;

Bench 160*5*5
    Lockouts(hole #10) 245*8,8
    V-Bar Pullups BW*8,8
    V-Bar Cable Row 180*8,7
    DB Shoulder Press 60*8,7
    EZ Preacher Curl 95*8,5
    Skull Crush 115*8,8

-Felt good.

Friday 8/7/09
    TRAINING

Cardio(Running)
    20min

Boxing(3min rounds)
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    2 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds double end bag
    3 rounds sparring w/Al
    1 round jump rope

-Felt worn out.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Not surprised to see the new journal, you are definitely in a new era in life and have been for a while.

Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Not surprised to see the new journal, you are definitely in a new era in life and have been for a while.

Good luck!!
    I suppose I have been, but it's hard to let go of some things. Even now, in my head, I'm still an athlete. In reality, I'm just a guy who likes to workout and be in great shape.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Session is looking real nice...big rack pull numbers.

Session is looking real nice...big rack pull numbers.
    Thanks. They are too low for my liking though. Work is dwindling me away to nothing. I'm eating what I use to bulk on and I'm barely maintaining size/strength.
    My Journal

Sunday 8/9/09
    HEAVY SQUAT/DEAD

5min warmup on bike;

Rack Pulls 355*5, 380*4, 405*3, 430*2, 455*1
    Front Squat 135*8,8
    1 Leg Curl 50*8,8
    Stand Calf 60*10,9
    Plate Pinch 25's*27sec,37sec
    Pull Throughs 50*8,8

-Low back was real tight.
    My Journal

Tuesday 8/11/09
    HEAVY BENCH

warmup w/barbell;

2 Board Press 230*5, 250*5, 270*5, 290*4, 310*3
    Flies 55*8,8
    Pullups 20*8,6
    Cable Rear/Side Lat 2.5*10,10/2.5*10,4
    DB Inc Curl 35*8,8
    1 Arm Pressdown 5.5*8,8
    Shrugs 275*10,10

-Did this at the community center. Only because I don't have any hot water at home and I needed a place to shower afterwards. ...Not bad, not good, just got in there and got it done.
    My Journal

Wednesday 8/12/09
    TRAINING

Boxing-3min rounds

3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds double end bag
    1 round slip ball
    2 rounds speed bag

-Felt good. Stayed loose. Moved well and a lot. It almost seemed like I knew what I was doing. lol

Thursday 8/13/09
    SPEED SQUAT/DEAD

5min jog warmup;

Box Squat 185*2*10
    Dead Lift 265*1*6
    BB Hack Squat 325*8,8
    Good Mornings 135*8,8
    Donkey Calves 335*10,10
    Wrist Roller 5*2,2

-Felt really good...I've been eating everything in sight. Good, or bad, it all goes down the hatch. It must be starting to pay off some, cause I feel much better working out lately.
    My Journal

A new journal! Strength is still looking great.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    A new journal! Strength is still looking great.
    Figured it was time to let go of the old one. Thanks for the props. I feel like all show and no go right now though.
    My Journal

Happy Wedding Anniversary Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruteman View Post
    Figured it was time to let go of the old one. Thanks for the props. I feel like all show and no go right now though.
    Ha, your schedule looks like all go! It's inspiring to see all that you do.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Friday 8/14/09
    TRAINING

Cardio(Running)
    20min

Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds slip rope
    4 rounds heavy bag

-Weight 192.2...Felt awesome. Ran like a gazelle and was moving around like an old pro...12yr. wedding anniversary this weekend. WooHoo for me! Wait a minute, I guess I got the old part right. lol
    My Journal

Sunday 8/16/09
    SPEED BENCH

5min shadow boxing warmup;

Bench 190*3*8, 255*2, 275*2
    4 Board Press 250*8,8
    Pullups 20*8,7
    BB Row 215*8,6
    Shoulder Press 125*8,8
    BB Curl 100*8,7
    Dips 100*8,6

-OK workout. Felt sick to my stomach and had a head ache.
    My Journal

CoCoa-Thanks big man.

cphafner-hehe, none of us seems to see ourselves for what we really are. We always see ourselves as too skinny, too fat, too out of shape, too weak, etc. Don't know if that's good, or bad. lol
    My Journal

Monday 8/17/09
    TRAINING

2 rounds jump rope

Conditioning(Magic 50)
    5 DB snatches per arm
    5 DB swings per arm
    10 burpees
    -Perform circuit 5 times w/1min rests between circuits. Finished in 11:48 using a 25lb DB.

3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds slip rope
    3 rounds heavy bag
    1 round jump rope

-Almost feel like I'm in shape. Real good workout.
    My Journal

You're in great shape, make no mistake, lol - moving big weights too.

nice to see otehr people in here doing some Ross stuff

Tuesday 8/18/09
    HEAVY SQUAT/DEAD

5min jog warmup;

Box Squat 45*5, 135*5, 225*3, 270*3, 280*3, 290*3, 310*1, 320*1, 330*1
    1 Leg Ext 95*8,8
    GHR(assisted) BW*8,4
    Donkey Calf 110*10,10
    Supination Pronation 7.5*10,10

-Not bad. Legs were beat from work.
    My Journal

CoCoa-Maybe, but there's always someone stronger and in better shape. That's what I always compare myself too. So I'm never happy/satisfied.

bcorn-Ross knows his stuff. I needed something more structured and taxing for the conditioning side of things. His gpp circuits and warrior challanges fit the bill nicely.
    My Journal

Wednesday 8/19/09
    TRAINING

Boxing(3min rounds)
    3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow boxing
    3 rounds heavy bag
    2 rounds double end bag
    2 rounds speed bag
    2 rounds slip ball

-Took the boy with me to the club, so there was some stopping and going, going on.
    My Journal

Friday 8/21/09
    HEAVY BENCH

5min shadow box warmup;

Inc Press 45*10, 135*5, 160*3, 170*3, 180*3, 190*3, 210*1, 220*1, 230*1, 240*0
    DB Inc Press 75*8,8
    DB Pullover 95*10,10
    DB Row 110*8,8
    Rear Lat/Side Lat 20*10,10/20*10,7
    Con Curl 35*8,8
    Sit 1 Arm DB Ext 40*8,6

-Actually felt pretty good. I'm weak as hell, but felt good. ....Anymore I'm just happy when I muster up the energy to get my workout in. I'm always trying to improve, but as long as I at least get in there and get it done, I'm content. For now.
    My Journal

Just getting into the gym and pulling off an effort is what keeps you on track.

Efforts are looking damn good.

Just getting into the gym and pulling off an effort is what keeps you on track.

Efforts are looking damn good.
    Thanks Coke. I figure as long as I keep getting it done, progress will come. Maybe not when I want it to, or as fast as I'd like, but it will come.
    My Journal

Sunday 8/23/09
    SPEED SQUAT/DEAD

mowed lawn for my warmup;

Box Squat 205*2*8, 275*2, 290
    Power Clean 185*1*6
    Lunge 140*8,8
    RDL 275*8,8
    Stand Calves 340*10,9
    Static Holds 405*30sec,19sec

-Good workout and all, just wasn't mentally into it.
    My Journal