The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Should I cut the water?

I weighed myself yesterday and I was around 186-187. This was at around 6 after eating a moderate amount of food and drink while wearing clothes (squat suit actually). I was debating whether I should try and make the 182.5lb weight class for the competition next Saturday. How much water can one lose without it affecting my weights? This will be my second competition ever so I don't know if I should even care about making a lower weight class. I am trying to get my class III. The way things look now I will be able to attain a class II in the 198lbs class but of course it would be a lot easier to make it in the 182.5. Does losing a few pounds of water really make a difference in strength?
    Brad08 has some insight for people who don't understand... anything.
    This is so ****ing ******ed it's almost beyond belief. So, if you eat 3k, you will automatically gain 3k worth of fat or muscle? Incredible. And here I am eating all this food, yet maintaining my weight. Fascinating.

You're one of those pussies that counts his almonds I bet.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

from what ive seen some people can do it and some cant

are weigh-ins day of?
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Yes the weigh in is at 8 AM and lifting is at 10. I am in the third wave (there are 30 lifters) so I have a good amount of time.
    This is so ****ing ******ed it's almost beyond belief. So, if you eat 3k, you will automatically gain 3k worth of fat or muscle? Incredible. And here I am eating all this food, yet maintaining my weight. Fascinating.

you've only got 4 pounds to cut in 8 days.. should be manageable without strength loss..

hell, you should be able to just eat clean and drop it. Bump your fats up, lower your carbs and keep your protein high. Do a little cardio with a sweater on 2-3 times this week and stay away from starches and sodium as they will cause you to hold more water...

you could do a little search on sodium loading (loading up sodium so that you body releases it because it knows its getting plenty) but I don't think you'd need it with only 4-5 lbs..

EDIT:: here is the article Built wrote-up on water/sodium manipulation
    http://web.archive.org/web/200702220...?articleid=288
    Last edited by JSully; 08-21-2009 at 01:00 PM.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Just be careful with any type of weight cutting if you haven't done it before, you don't know how your body is going to react. I learned this one the hard way
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Thanks guys.
    I am unsure if I'm going to cut but I have several days to decide what I want to do. I am going to eat high fat+protein and lower carbs for the next week though.

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    I weighed myself yesterday and I was around 186-187. This was at around 6 after eating a moderate amount of food and drink while wearing clothes (squat suit actually). I was debating whether I should try and make the 182.5lb weight class for the competition next Saturday. How much water can one lose without it affecting my weights? This will be my second competition ever so I don't know if I should even care about making a lower weight class. I am trying to get my class III. The way things look now I will be able to attain a class II in the 198lbs class but of course it would be a lot easier to make it in the 182.5. Does losing a few pounds of water really make a difference in strength?
    Find yourself an accurate scale and weigh yourself IN THE MORNING with NO cloths on. My guess is your weight will be somewhere around 185-184. If that is indeed the case, yes, you can easily make the weight class, and I do not believe you will have much of a strength loss. at your bodyweight, you can reasonably regain around 2 lbs of water weight per hour. fanything more than that and you won't be able to absorb it - your stomach will feel like its going to explode and you'll just end up pissing it all out anyways.

If you do indeed weigh around 186 in the morning... well... I really would not suggest it. 5 lbs of water weight can be no big deal for someone who is used to it or for bigger guys, but for a complete newb, it can kill you (not literally). Everyone responds to rapid weight loss differently.

I would say try making weight a week or so before the meet. throw on some sweats in the morning and jump rope/sit in a suana or something for an hour. try actually making weight. In wrestling we ALWAYS made weight at least a day before to see if you could do it and how you felt. people that didn't make weight the day before, even if they made it for the match. were usually dieing.

PM me if you want some more info on this. I cut weight weekly all through high school and there are all sorts of little things most people don't know about -- your body "floats" weight during the night, thinking about the literal weight of whatever you're eating the night before, etc.

Personally, I would not suggest it. How much better are you going to feel about yourself if you win the 181 class or make class III or whatever? Is that more important than making all of your lifts and personal records? Because you'll be risking the latter of those two goals heavily if you go for the first. save cutting weight for when it really matters - at a larger competition, when you plan on breaking some big records and pwning some other lifters. I see little use in putting yourself through all sorts of physical/mental stress only to beat out a few guys in a small meet and perhaps make it to a higher class.

But thats just me XD
    Last edited by Hazerboy; 08-21-2009 at 10:42 PM.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Do not do a sodium cut for a meet day weigh in.

You do not have near enough time to put the water back on and allow your body to get it into the right places.

It takes your body awhile to switch modes from expelling water to being able to restore it.

You also don't want to spend a couple days slowly getting the weight off by altering your diet. This will greatly screw with your strength.

Best way for a small cut like this is to skip dinner the night before, take some fiber at lunch or whatever you need to to stimulate a huge crap and bam. You're at weight.

Now here's the thing. I've never heard of a 182.5 class. Are you SURE it's not 181.5?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Yeh sorry 181.5, my mistake. Thanks Travis!

I weighed myself this morning. I weighed about 185.4lbs. I then ate a bit of food and drank some water and proceeded to take a massive dump... I am now 182.4lbs. This is without any water cutting at all. What's 2-3lbs of water anyways? If I weigh this much without trying I can for sure make weight.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Yeh sorry 181.5, my mistake. Thanks Travis!

I weighed myself this morning. I weighed about 185.4lbs. I then ate a bit of food and drank some water and proceeded to take a massive dump... I am now 182.4lbs. This is without any water cutting at all. What's 2-3lbs of water anyways? If I weigh this much without trying I can for sure make weight.
    Exactly. If you're still in doubt the day before, eat/drink lightly for breakfast and stop all food and drink at lunchtime. Weigh in as early as possible then eat something and start rehydrating. It gets easier everytime you do it since you'll have an idea of how your body reacts to diet/fluid manipulation.

Good luck!