Thread: Cardio and Heart Rate

Wannabebig Member

Cardio and Heart Rate

So I read a in a forum today that apparently for better fat loss its better to keep your heart at a certain rate, for me it would be 135 (the formula is 220-your age times 0.7 or something like that). Now Ive been running on a treadmill for 25-35 minutes, i usually start at 5mph speed and increase it 0.5mph every 5 minutes so by 25 minutes im at 7mph or sometimes i just do 30 minutes of 6mph..

My heart rate is always high though, its like around 160-180. i never though about the above formula, to keep it it at the above rate i would basically have to walk fast or jog and not run which just seems like im not really burning calories, in fact the treadmills calorie counter says im barely burning anything if i just walk and jog.

So can someone enlighten me on his?

Joey54's crazy partner DumbbellTosser's Avatar
    Do not take the formulas literally. They are meant to be used as an 'estimate' for your target or maximal heart rate.

Basically... the higher the H.R. the more calories are being burned. This doesn't mean you have to maintain that heart rate for 20-30 minutes either. You can also do intervals.... say 1-2 minutes at H.R. of 120 then increasing the speed and doing 1-2 minutes at H.R. 170 or more just for an example. Think of sprinters.... they rarely maintain a constant H.R. for up to 30 minutes during training yet they keep bodyfat levels low because they still burn lots of energy with mostly interval training.

Vary your cardio style training. Do straight times with your H.R. at a moderate-high rate one day ... then do intervals with maximal H.R. the next. Experiment and see what works for you.
    It's like I'm a juicer... but I'm not.

Great advice.

People can think about this stuff far too much. When I am on a cardio machine, I'm not worrying about heart rate, I'm worrying about just having a good, I'm just worrying about moving to the point where I am breathing hard. Intervals is a great way to get the best of both worlds and also it's more fun.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

If you class cardion as fun that is, which I do not lol
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Wannabebig Member
    ya, what he said... when i run at 6mph my heart rate is high like yours (my recommended is 135 also for fat burn) i have found that if i want to do like say an hour of fat burn, i can walk at 4.0 mph and my heart rate stays above 135 to 140... in other words if your heart rate isnt above 135 your not doin to much lol