The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Triple Extension VS "Catapult"

Interesting video series:

Triple Extension VS "Catapult"

Video

Video

Video

Video
    Sarvamangalam!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i just kep expecting his arms to continue going backwards on that last video, i could just imagine that happening in a meet where he's going for a PR and *SNAP* and hits himself in the ass with the bar.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Banned
    Wow, that looked painful.

This is essentially the technique taught by Steve Miller (coach who started Shane Hamman). I've tried to implement the technique before with limited success. McCauly is only a few hours from me and is giving a seminar in a couple weeks, but I'll be away on vacation at the time. Hopefully he'll do another one soon, or maybe put out a DVD or mini-book.

If anyone is interested in this topic, it has sparked quite the debate over at GoHeavy.

Will be interesting to see who the new OTC coach will be. Since some people seem to think the U.S. sucks because we've lagged behind in technique, I hope it's someone that does teach a more flat-footed and upright pulling posture just to see what happens over the next decade.

My prediction: nothing will change unless they stop pulling and squatting as the main lifts and start getting some exogenous hormone action.

I have a horribly slow connection right now, but I was able to see enough of the first video to (I think) see what he's talking about. There's absolutely NO doubt about it - hips are absolutely key with the weight room and OLs as far as athletic development goes. On the field, yes - you need triple extension, but that is not why FB players need to do the OLs, or squats, or KBs, etc. - it's to develop the hips.

I say this at workshops all the time and you can quote me - yes, ankle extension is important. And yes, those fancy shoes actually work for many young kids to improve their vertical, not because it's developing the calves, but because it's activating the hips!

Dan John has a person do a stiff-legged standing broad jump in an online video - it is a great illustration of the central role the hips and hamstrings play in jumping and athletic power.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Wow

That blew my mind. I was taught the old triple extension way but I had always had a penchant for beginning in the position shown in the videos. I don't know if I'll be able to learn this technique from the videos but its on my roster of things to do!

I have been watching a decent amount of power clean video's hoping I can learn how to do them in the future. Assuming my elbow will allow me after I recover here in a few weeks. They are so technical it's amazing how much can go into one lift and it's hard to gather all the info from all the different video's. I have my work cut out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    I have been watching a decent amount of power clean video's hoping I can learn how to do them in the future. Assuming my elbow will allow me after I recover here in a few weeks. They are so technical it's amazing how much can go into one lift and it's hard to gather all the info from all the different video's. I have my work cut out for me.
    If you aren't a competitive weightlifter, just pull the damn bar and jump. It's really quite a simple movement that people are afraid of because they're told it's too complicated.

The only reason it should be difficult for anyone to learn to clean is flexibility issues.

life, one rep at a time
    interesting, i like his approach but can't say i agree with everything. only one way to find out!
    Derek Wilcox
    181 class 935lb WR squat
    best meet lifts
    squat 935 bench 500 deadlift 700
    best totals 181 2050 198 2065

journal
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128030

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    If you aren't a competitive weightlifter, just pull the damn bar and jump. It's really quite a simple movement that people are afraid of because they're told it's too complicated.

The only reason it should be difficult for anyone to learn to clean is flexibility issues.
    Truth be told, the reason people think cleans and snatches are so complicated is because many coaches prefer to explain the exercises more like ballet than a strength movement... I've always found very interesting how the same people that say weightlifting movement are so complicated and don't deserve the time to be taught are the same that say benching and squatting can take years to learn and master...

life, one rep at a time
    i played with the technique he is coaching and it made my clean much much quicker, i'll try it after my meet nextweekend more
    Derek Wilcox
    181 class 935lb WR squat
    best meet lifts
    squat 935 bench 500 deadlift 700
    best totals 181 2050 198 2065

journal
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128030