The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Recovery techniques/ supplements used?

Hi

Just wanted some advice on improving my recovery.
    At the moment I do contrast showers and get plenty of protein through food and shakes.
    Any supplements that help your recovery?
    Any thing that improves sleep?

Thank you.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I love my ETS... made a world of difference sleep wise and overall feeling... with the current sale I'm going to see if I can swing extra bottles as I felt amazing taking it in the morning and before bed... right now I just take it before bed...

Can't beat my foam roller use either
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

Stretching, foam rolling, eating enough protein, contrast showers, massages, 2 good supplements for improved recovery (besides protein powder) would be Atlarge's ETS, and Atlarge's Results.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I take ZMA and zinc at night for sounder sleep... Other than the aforementioned; ice, ice and more ice for joints, aches and pains.

Thank you very much guys, I will get some ETS as I have noticed alot of people here are loving it.

ETS truly is a very unique, and effective product. I think it is one of the reasons I can train heavier, more often than most people I train with.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Can I bring ETS into Australia??

Seriously, ETS. You'll take it for 3-4 weeks and wonder how you ever trained without it. My other favorites are ice, massage, and extra workouts for active recuperation.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Seriously, ETS. You'll take it for 3-4 weeks and wonder how you ever trained without it. My other favorites are ice, massage, and extra workouts for active recuperation.
    Is it that good Vinnie?

Just ordered 4 bottles!

I do;

Full Dynamic warm ups
    Static stretching 6 hours post training
    Foam rolling
    Active Mobility work
    Band Mobility work
    I take a Creatine/malto blend PWO, and get in a quality protein another 30 minutes after that
    Extra Workouts to increase GPP

And now I'm just trying to get some BSc compression gear whole sale, specifically designed for recovery.

Suppliments : ETS, Releve (MHP), Activite (MHP), and Dark Matter (MHP)

Icing as much as possible after as soon as possible after heavy work outs, Deep tissue massage and ART when needed

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    Hi

Just wanted some advice on improving my recovery.
    At the moment I do contrast showers and get plenty of protein through food and shakes.
    Any supplements that help your recovery?
    Any thing that improves sleep?

Thank you.
    When you talk about recovery do you mean recovering as in muscle soreness? Or are you talking about CNS / performance?

If you are trying to recover from high intensity training so that you can perform another training session I believe that sleep (ETS helps) can be a huge factor here. There are also various theories on certain foods / vitamins that help your CNS to recouperate.

When it comes to muscular soreness then things like massage, active recovery, protein intake, etc. all seem to work well.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

I remember a thread that discussed foam rollers. Wasn't there a specific roller that was pretty durable and didn't break down as quickly? I have to get one.

I spend a lot of time warming up. I do a 5-10 min warm up on a cybex arch trainer (very knee friendly). I go through static stretching & a series of dynamic flexibility exercises. It takes some time but it is what I need to do to rock & roll.

Post workout - I do a cool down stretch. I use my stick roller (http://www.performbetter.com/detail....tegoryID_E_201) on my legs when I get home (on squat & DL days) & then I ice my knees or shoulders & elbows on my bench days whether they need it or not.

I use a hand held massager (similar to this http://www.hammacher.com/Product/76309) in the morning on areas that really hurt and I generally ice right after that. Sometimes I will use it right before I lift if I am still sore in areas that will be affected by that workout.
    Last edited by fulldaddy; 08-12-2009 at 06:49 AM.
    Sponsered by
    Flirty Girl Fitness
    Tony Little's Gazelle
    Ab Lounger
    Yoga Booty Ballet
    Herbal Diet Pills

Perform Better makes good foam rollers:

http://www.performbetter.com/detail....tegoryID_E_235

The 1' would be best for your gym bag, or the 3' if you are planning on keeping it at home.

Thanks Tom
    Sponsered by
    Flirty Girl Fitness
    Tony Little's Gazelle
    Ab Lounger
    Yoga Booty Ballet
    Herbal Diet Pills

Banned

I got a cheap foam roller at target by my house and it works great

The EliteFTS foam roller is overpriced. The Target one (GoFit) is a soft foam which is good if you are looking for something a bit less painful, though it will wear out over time.

Here are a bunch of options on Amazon.com including the GoFit, Perform Better, and Isokinetics:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...ds=foam+roller

As you will see they range from $10-20 depending on what you are looking for.

TJW
    PVC Pipe works well too, if you can manage to not put all your weight in the specific area. It also is the cheapest option.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    The EliteFTS foam roller is overpriced. The Target one (GoFit) is a soft foam which is good if you are looking for something a bit less painful, though it will wear out over time.

Here are a bunch of options on Amazon.com including the GoFit, Perform Better, and Isokinetics:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...ds=foam+roller

As you will see they range from $10-20 depending on what you are looking for.
    Tom, I disagree with you on that one. I've got the same foam roller that Travis posted a link up for. I've used it religiously for over a year without it breaking down (I'm a 300+ lb guy), while the cheaper ones that we had basically fell apart in 6 months or less. For the $29.00 you will get your moneys worth.

That or you can spend $20 on a cheaper one every 6 months...
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

For me, supplement wise:
    ETS ---everyone training hard should take this supplement
    Fish Oil---at least 6-8 grams per day.

Other:
    deep muscle massage--I always have 2-3 sessions the three weeks before a meet to get things loose and ready
    contrast hot and cold showers or contrast hot and cold packs---- on any bodypart that is strained/excessively sore
    stretching
    active rest---including sled dragging, walking the hill, pushing a lawnmower or splitting wood. Get moving and get blood into the muscles
    sleep---take a nap if you are feeling beat up. It will help

Planned deloads--too often we beat the crap out of ourselves over and over again in the gym. Backing off a bit when you are feeling beat up---be it missing a workout or planning a deload week-- will work wonders for recovery and get you back on the track to hitting PR's. The key is to know when you need it and use it appropriately. Don't just randomly skip workouts, listen to your body.

I'm also a firm believer in just getting out in some water and floating--take the weight off your joints and just relax a little bit.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JK1 View Post
    Tom, I disagree with you on that one. I've got the same foam roller that Travis posted a link up for. I've used it religiously for over a year without it breaking down (I'm a 300+ lb guy), while the cheaper ones that we had basically fell apart in 6 months or less. For the $29.00 you will get your moneys worth.

That or you can spend $20 on a cheaper one every 6 months...
    Yeah, I'm 300+ as well. I have tried cheaper ones and they smash down and do not work as well as the heavy duty one for which I posted the link.

Quote Originally Posted by =Travis= View Post
    Yeah, I'm 300+ as well. I have tried cheaper ones and they smash down and do not work as well as the heavy duty one for which I posted the link.
    that foam roller is a rock when you first get it. My wife hated it---(she's ~135) because it was so hard. For me, it hurt a little, but I got over it and it was firm enough I actually felt like it was getting deeper in the muscle belly than the softer ones, which I just smashed.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Thank you everyone, extremely helpful!