The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    Ha! Competitive natural bodybuilder. That's an oxymoron.

If you're happy with what you do, that's great. At 5'9" 179lbs, I doubt there's much muscle, but that's your call. I believe in hitting the weights to be big and strong. At 5'9", you should be at leat 250bs in my world.

But, again, if you're happy, then I'm happy for you. Being small and weak is not my idea of success at the gym. Carrying an avergae amount of bodyfat is very acceptable when it will help your strength and your joints. But whaqt do I know? I'm only 6'4" 304lbs.
    I didn't say it wasn't acceptable. The unacceptable talk is your view but rather on the topic of being lean. Joint health is a moot point unless ones trotting around with competition levels regularly.

Comical that you have no respect for the dedication natural bodybuilders devote to their passion. A natural trainee is only capable of so much muscle, it's ridiculous to think that getting fat is the loophole to this.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

I'm definately from the old-school mindset. Being small and ripped isn't ripped. It's just small. Those are internal organs and tendons and ligaments, not muscle.
    I don't think those are massive tendons and ligaments bursting out of Behemoth's back in his avatar.
    Consistency
    My Journal

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    I didn't say it wasn't acceptable. The unacceptable talk is your view but rather on the topic of being lean. Joint health is a moot point unless ones trotting around with competition levels regularly.

Comical that you have no respect for the dedication natural bodybuilders devote to their passion. A natural trainee is only capable of so much muscle, it's ridiculous to think that getting fat is the loophole to this.
    I respect what they do. I just don't think they're big or muscular.

And as someone with arthritis in my hips, back and neck, joint health is always of the utmost importance. but, I'm also big and muscular at 300+lbs, so...

When did I say getting fat is the loophole? I never said to get fat. You should touch up on your reading comprehension skills.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JacobH View Post
    I don't think those are massive tendons and ligaments bursting out of Behemoth's back in his avatar.
    You're right. It's grissle.

You'd love the size of my back.

I don't discount the work that's being done. What I discount is someone that small saying they're muscular. Same thing if someone that small says they're ripped. No you're not. You're small.

And don't cry. When I was called small, at 6'4" 185lbs, I just nutted up and got bigger. That's what men do. Guess I'm old-fashioned.

You should touch up on your reading comprehension skills.
    You mad that I called you on yours?

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

House Lannister
    I never said to get fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rhodes
    43. Fat, bloated and strong is the ONLY way to go thru life.
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/rhode_rules.htm

I understand where you're coming from, really. But everything you are saying about who is muscular and who is not is simply your opinion. The opinion of a 300lb elite powerlifter. You have to understand that 99% of the population would disagree with your view that to be "muscular" you must be (insert massive weight here). Guys like Behemoth, F=ma, Chevelle, etc, are all under 200 lbs (I think) but the vast majority of the general public (and most people who visit this site) would not hesitate for one second to call them muscular.
    Consistency
    My Journal

House Lannister
    I understand where you're coming from, really. But everything you are saying about who is muscular and who is not is simply your opinion. The opinion of a 300lb elite powerlifter. You have to understand that 99% of the population would disagree with your view that to be "muscular" you must be (insert massive weight here). Guys like Behemoth, F=ma, Chevelle, etc, are all under 200 lbs (I think) but the vast majority of the general public (and most people who visit this site) would not hesitate for one second to call them muscular.
    Nah bro, I'm pretty small. I just don't like the 'get fat or die trying' approach that once permeated this entire site, and appears to be making a comeback. I've seen guys who want to be 200lbs just to be 200 lbs, and instead of being skinny and weak at 170, they are now fat and weak at 200.

Well I'm 5'10, 180lbs so i am among the puny also. I'm sure if I wanted to be 250 lbs I could, but I am not into the bodytype of the dude swinging kettlebells on the front page. Just not how I like to look.
    Last edited by JacobH; 01-29-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    Consistency
    My Journal

I'm glad you're all getting along so well.

Who gives a shit what other people's goals are. Y'all took Rhodes' bait.

He's got a point: "The body is made to perform. I get that guys want to be lean, but I am lost when they want to cut weight and have no muscle in the first place." What some people don't really understand is this: To go from 168 14% to 185 9% means you need to gain TWENTY FOUR POUNDS of muscle. This takes two years under a perma-bulk, forget the fact that you'd lose muscle while leaning out. So this isn't something where you gain a little weight, cut a little fat, and you're done. This is a serious goal, something that will take time and dedication, and if you don't want to be continuously frustrated by being mediocre for most of that time, you need to commit to getting big and strong. NOT fat, since fat doesn't lift weights, but you can't flip shit if you're not seeing your abs.

Every god damn one of us has some level of body dysmorphia, some of us can't fathom carrying fat, some of us can't fathom being less than 250 pounds. Just be real about the fact that if you want to be out of the ordinary, you're going to have to be, well, out of the ordinary.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Well you're right...as always. But I think the major disagreement comes from Rhodes' opinion that you must be fucking gigantic to be considered "muscular".
    Consistency
    My Journal

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Ah! A brilliant piece of literature written tongue in cheek. You see, I am a excellent writer and I was very good at interpreting poems when I was in school. ie: reading between the lines.

The Rhodestown Rules were written sarcastically, however, if you have any ability to use your creative mind you'll see that they are laced with great ideas for achieving a high level of performance.

Anyone who knows anything about lifting knows that retaining water (fat and bloated- meaning smooth or less ripped when you retain water) will help you lift more weight(strong). So, "fat, bloated and strong is the only way to go through life."

Now, some of the stuff is a reference that only big guys will get. You don't know what it's like to be so big that you can't reach behind your back, or be so big that you have trouble tying your shoes. Those references hit home with guys who know what it's like to sacrifice things in everyday life that little people take for granted.

Clearly, this incredible piece of literary genius was lost on you. Reread with an open and judgement free mind. You'll learn something.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    You mad that I called you on yours?
    I can't be mad at a little guy like you. Besides, I'm very confident in the free education I earned.

Banned
    Nah bro, I'm pretty small. I just don't like the 'get fat or die trying' approach that once permeated this entire site, and appears to be making a comeback. I've seen guys who want to be 200lbs just to be 200 lbs, and instead of being skinny and weak at 170, they are now fat and weak at 200.
    You also have to understand that as a powerlifter and strength athlete, fat helps.

My question to you is, what's fat, in your opinion? I've been in the industry for 10+ years. I've been a personal trainer and I'm a college strength coach. I know what's healthy and what's optimal and all that. I run into all kinds of guys who think 15% is fat. Being too lean when a goal is to build muscle will absolutely hinder your gains. You need to gain fat to build muscle. Not a lot, but it needs to happen.

It's an uphill battle to try to stay super-lean AND try to build muscle. It's an exercise in futility. Pack on the lbs and get fatter. You'll get stronger, which means you'll move more weight. More weight lifted equals the potential to build more muscle if you eat and rest properly. Then, you can drop some lbs in an effort to lose fat.

Unless you're on drugs, you'll inevitably lose muscle, too. Thus, lowering your metabolism because you lost muscle mass. I get it if you're a competitive bodybuilder, but most aren't. Most would do well to eat a surplus of good calories with some bad ones mixed in.

You can't serve 2 masters. Trying to stay super lean and build muscle is serving 2 masters.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    I'm glad you're all getting along so well.

Who gives a shit what other people's goals are. Y'all took Rhodes' bait.

He's got a point: "The body is made to perform. I get that guys want to be lean, but I am lost when they want to cut weight and have no muscle in the first place." What some people don't really understand is this: To go from 168 14% to 185 9% means you need to gain TWENTY FOUR POUNDS of muscle. This takes two years under a perma-bulk, forget the fact that you'd lose muscle while leaning out. So this isn't something where you gain a little weight, cut a little fat, and you're done. This is a serious goal, something that will take time and dedication, and if you don't want to be continuously frustrated by being mediocre for most of that time, you need to commit to getting big and strong. NOT fat, since fat doesn't lift weights, but you can't flip shit if you're not seeing your abs.

Every god damn one of us has some level of body dysmorphia, some of us can't fathom carrying fat, some of us can't fathom being less than 250 pounds. Just be real about the fact that if you want to be out of the ordinary, you're going to have to be, well, out of the ordinary.
    Dude! Don't ruin it for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    Well you're right...as always. But I think the major disagreement comes from Rhodes' opinion that you must be fucking gigantic to be considered "muscular".
    Don't be sensitive. My dad always told me, "If someone says something about you and it hurts your feelings, there must be some truth to it."

You guys would look at me and call me fat. I know you would. At 306lbs (as of weigh-ins this morning at the meet) and 17%, you guys would have afield day ripping me. In the right lighting, my abs are ridiculous, in the mirror, of course. There is nothing you can say that would bother me. Why? I built myself up to perform. When I was in college I was a 255lbs DE at 9% my senior year. I was probably easier on the eyes back then. Nonetheless, you can call me fat etc... I don't care what you think mainly because I'm comfortable with myself and you wouldn't have the balls to say it to my face. Big and strong always wins.

House Lannister
    Now, some of the stuff is a reference that only big guys will get. You don't know what it's like to be so big that you can't reach behind your back, or be so big that you have trouble tying your shoes.
    You're really making me feel like I'm missing out on something here.

You also have to understand that as a powerlifter and strength athlete, fat helps.

My question to you is, what's fat, in your opinion? I've been in the industry for 10+ years. I've been a personal trainer and I'm a college strength coach. I know what's healthy and what's optimal and all that. I run into all kinds of guys who think 15% is fat. Being too lean when a goal is to build muscle will absolutely hinder your gains. You need to gain fat to build muscle. Not a lot, but it needs to happen.

It's an uphill battle to try to stay super-lean AND try to build muscle. It's an exercise in futility. Pack on the lbs and get fatter. You'll get stronger, which means you'll move more weight. More weight lifted equals the potential to build more muscle if you eat and rest properly. Then, you can drop some lbs in an effort to lose fat.

Unless you're on drugs, you'll inevitably lose muscle, too. Thus, lowering your metabolism because you lost muscle mass. I get it if you're a competitive bodybuilder, but most aren't. Most would do well to eat a surplus of good calories with some bad ones mixed in.

You can't serve 2 masters. Trying to stay super lean and build muscle is serving 2 masters.
    I don't disagree with anything you have written here. I get you are from a whole different viewpoint when it comes to what is big. However, disrespecting natural bodybuilders and other weightlifters simply because they aren't bloated enough for you is asinine. Frankly, very few individuals here want to look like a SHW powerlifter.

And no, I would not consider 15% very fat.

House Lannister
    When I was in college I was a 255lbs DE at 9% my senior year.
    Pics or this never happened.

Banned
    You're really making me feel like I'm missing out on something here.

I don't disagree with anything you have written here. I get you are from a whole different viewpoint when it comes to what is big. However, disrespecting natural bodybuilders and other weightlifters simply because they aren't bloated enough for you is asinine. Frankly, very few individuals here want to look like a SHW powerlifter.

And no, I would not consider 15% very fat.
    In a sick and twisted way, you are missing out on something. None of the stuff I dealt with as a SHW was fun. But, I laughed at myself and enjoyed the process, not to mention the looks I got everywhere I went.

Listen, if you're disrespected by my comments, call the therapist. Weightlifting is a man's game. There are some great female lifters, but they play the game like a man does. There's no room for sensitivity training and discussions about our feelings. If you're not in the gym to

1. Get bigger
    2. Get stronger
    3. Get ready to perform or compete

Then get out! I respect anyone and everyone that trains their balls or lady balls off. That also means that I'll rip on those same people because they're too small (in my eyes) or to lean or too weak. You can take it two ways.

1. Prove me wrong and shut me up
    2. Or go in the corner and sob and talk shit behind my back or worse, behind the keyboard

I use shit that I heard as a kid and it still fuels me. Hell, my high school football coach told me to my face I'd never play football again and I should just focus on lacrosse. So I went and walked on and was part of the 3rd ranked team in the BCS my senior year. Then to top it off, I went and played professional football.

I know I'm off topic a bit, but my point is go do what you do. If you trained with me I'd harass you incessantly, but I'd be psyched for youbwhen you won the female weight class bodybuilding show.

Banned
    Pics or this never happened.
    Ha! That's how I tried to explain away the fact I cheated on my college girlfriend. No pictures, no proof.

I'll have to do some searching. My avatar is my senior picture, but you can't tell what kind of shape I'm in.

If you're a 200lb guy, you don't have any muscle unless you're 5'2" and even then you're still pretty small.
    Thats a little extreme. Brad Davis is 5'5" and the last I could find was about 205 in the offseason. He isn't what I would consider small

My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    Thats a little extreme. Brad Davis is 5'5" and the last I could find was about 205 in the offseason. He isn't what I would consider small

I would say he's small. He's 5'5" 200lbs. I'm 6'4". He's tiny. But, for a guy at 5'5" and 200lbs, he is muscular. The guys crying about my comments don't look like this guy, though. His physique is great, but clearly a product of good training, good nutrition and good pharmacueticals.

Don't be the guy that tries to prove the rule with the exception.

I can't be mad at a little guy like you. Besides, I'm very confident in the free education I earned.
    Sure you can, it's why you put up such a massive defense against the lean and aspiring lean.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 01-29-2012 at 10:22 PM.

If you trained with me I'd harass you incessantly, but I'd be psyched for youbwhen you won the female weight class bodybuilding show.
    Man, coffee tastes like crap once it takes a side trip through your sinuses.

So since I gotta pick this shit up after telling everyone to put it down, let me ask- you don't give much respect to guys who lift for appearance unless they're about to step up on a stage (whether it be for bodybuilding or for $1 bills)?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    Man, coffee tastes like crap once it takes a side trip through your sinuses.

So since I gotta pick this shit up after telling everyone to put it down, let me ask- you don't give much respect to guys who lift for appearance unless they're about to step up on a stage (whether it be for bodybuilding or for $1 bills)?
    Coffee through the nose? Awesome start to the day, right?

I want to say the right thing, but I don't know if I can get on board with training for asthetics. I always found that training for performance usually led to looking good, especially if you were a competitive athlete.

My other experience with asthetics was that I've done it and i was constantly unhappy. I never had enough abs showing. i was never lean enough. All it led to was all kinds of unhealthy dysmophic thoughts. Not that being 300lbs and thinking you're small is healthy, but I'm much happier.

Plus, I'm a former personal traner (10 years). All my clients want is "to look better" and they're never happy. Lookin good does nothing for the mind when there's not something else attached. Training for something (a bodybuilding show, powerlifting meet, road race etc..._ will bring a better physique and a true sense of accomplishment.

Maybe I'm looking at the mental side more than the physical effort. I'll always respect the effort put in. If they train hard, eat well and do trhe right things to achieve their goal, I can't help but respect that. Not many ACTUALLY do that, though. But when you listen to 100+lb guys talking about cutting weight and getting bigger, but not getting too fat...

I feel lucky I never got caught up in that superficial shit.